By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - wow, boom blox is a surprising frikkin awesome game.

I picked it up today on an impulse (along with Resident Evil 2 re-release on Gamecube, hoorah payday!), and just got home and popped it in. And after about an hour of playing, all I have to say is DAMN. This game is actually extremely well thought out, intelligent and fun as hell. I've only played through the first few sections in the first world in single player (each section in this first midevil world so far has consisted of maybe 8-10 levels, and there are apparently over 300 single player levels alltogether) and messed around with the level creator.

Each level has it's own unique logic and set up, some of them are large but so precisely tuned that with one well thought out, perfectly placed throw then entire stage can be toppled in a beautiful chain reaction of explosions, flying peices, and collapsing towers. Some of them like the "Monolith" level look simple enough (it's just one tall sturdy tower you have to cause to collapse), but are toughly engineered levels that require you to really think about load bearing peices, and how the weight is distributed in order to tackle them. It took me a few tries just to get a bronze on the monolith stage. 

The create a stage is incredibly easy and intuitive, and very detailed so you can create just about anything you can think of. I've only messed around with it a little bit, but I'm looking forward to really spending some time with it. When my wife gets home, I'll try multiplayer.

All and all, this is just a brilliant game. Beauty in simplicity. It's an incredibly smart, well done game that is a refreshing break from the norm. It really makes me miss the old days where there were lots of well made puzzle games like Tetrisphere and Blast Corps. Sadly well produced puzzle games are a rarity today, but this one really really shines. You owe it to yourself to pick up this game.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Around the Network

Another glowing endorsement.

So, should I get MK Wii or Boom Blox first? Whaddaya think?

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

famousringo said:
Another glowing endorsement.

So, should I get MK Wii or Boom Blox first? Whaddaya think?
By Nintendo. Support the notion that third parties aren't strongly supported by the Wii userbase.

go boom then mario kart

Yes, it is quite fun.. I can't wait to try out multiplayer. My only real gripe is you can't save custom levels to the SD card, so sharing levels using something OTHER than WiiConnect24 isn't as easy as it was with SSBB.

Around the Network

Oh man, another day, another gamer loving Boom Blox. Gah! Too bad I'm a poor college student... otherwise I'd be having a blast (pun intended) Blooming some Blox with you guys.

i want this game badly... but i can't spend $49.99 on a puzzle game... i'll bite when its $29.99

Having played both, personally I'm glad I bought boom blox over mariokart (though I will get kart eventually). It really is just amazing fun. I was starting to get worried because I beat the first scenario in adventure mode, and I was blazing through explore mode, and I thought "it looks like I'll be done with single player before I know it, that's sad", then I realized that after you beat explore mode and adventure mode, there is an explore mode 2 (with more difficulty puzzles) and an adventure mode 2 (with more difficult levels). And I realized how gigantic the single player mode is, and was again made happy.

Let me explain the difference between explore mode and adventure mode.

Explore mode sets up static puzzles, and gives you parameters to beating the puzzle. For instance You have two throws with a baseball to beat this stage, or you need to get 150 points from knocking down point blocks while avoiding knocking down negative point blocks in order to beat this stage. You can stop, look around at the level, plan and think, then act in order to beat the puzzle with the best possible score.

Adventure mode is active, dynamic, and objective oriented. There are AI controlled little people (or sheep, or monkeys or grim reapers ect) that act based on an AI. You have to complete the stage's objective (destroy this tower) but there will be a dynamic AI in the stage too, to complicate things. For instance in a series of stages I just did, I had so many throws to destroy a castle or tower or what have you. But I had to do so without killing my army of wandering sheep, if my whole army died, I lost. To make matters worse, the castle has monkeys that are using long range weapons to kill my sheep army from their towers or castles. Time was of the essence. Rather than being able to stop and think about my throws, I had to throw as soon as the match started trying to quickly perceive weak points in the structure, or pinpoint chemical blocks or explosive blocks in attempt to set off chain reactions, while at the same time making sure the destruction wasn't so out of control that it would wipe out my own army. And again, I had to do so in a limited number of throws, and the AI is dynamic, it won't act exactly the same way twice. I died many times on a number of stages.

Both of the styles offer brilliant challenges, and are incredibly well thought out. Often times after losing an adventure stage a number of times, it would hit me and I would find the perfect throw that would wipe out almost everything in a beautiful chain reaction. If a level says you can do something in 2 throws to get a gold, there is a way even if it's not obvious.

So far, even early on some of the stages are very challenging. Though most of them I've gotten by on the first or second try. I can only imagine how difficult it will be at the end of adventure mode, or how diabolical explore mode 2 will be. I am looking forward to it greatly.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

For the guy saying "i can't spend 50 dollars on a puzzle game" I only ask why not?

The single player mode in this game will be longer than many action games (I've been playing 2 hours, and have only barely scratched the surface, (I doubt I'm even 10% of the way through it), the multiplayer as fun and deep as any other game's multiplayer. This isn't a tetris clone, or lumines with cute characters. This is an extremely deep, thought provoking, and time consuming game with incredible replay value since you can create or download new levels. I thought 50 dollars was steep too, but now that I have it I see that it is worth every penny. It's simply a huge and engaging game with lots of personality.

So anybody that's unsure about buying a puzzle game for full price, don't be. Unlike the sort of puzzle game we've gotten accustomed too that is just a rehashed old 2d puzzle game concept with some art work and techno music slapped on it, this is a fully realized awesome concept with a ton of content and fully fleshed out multiplayer mode. This is much bigger than peggle, lumines, puzzle quest, or book worm. This game has some heft.

Hi vgchartz... I've bought this game because I thought it was worth it, and I still think it is, but I was a little disappointed, too.

The single player mode isn't really that interesting to me, as a puzzle game. Or, as a logics puzzle game. A lot of those levels are nice, but I expected more tricky levels. I didn't care for the action modes, like shoot the attackers while defending the helpless kittens/cows/sheep. Worked my way through them nonetheless, cause you have to unlock the blox and characters for creation mode.

Creation mode and multiplayer are really good, and those are what interested me most. The editor is solid, but I think it could have been made more convenient. What really bothers me though is that it's buggy. Yeah, half the time my self made levels won't work. The damn blox fall to the floor, but instead of vanishing they lie just there on the floor. Sometimes they work after I save them again, without changing anything. Another shortcoming is that you can't really set a goal in those levels. That means, the (multiplayer) level doesn't stop if all blox have vanished and doesn't show a winner. Although it shows the points of each player, so you can tell who wins the level, I think it would be nice if the game declared the winner.

So these are my complaints about the game. I will try to find a pattern, when levels work and when they don't. Also I'm going to contact EA about this.