By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Do you smoke pot?

That's probably the same thing as 'Bulbasaur Magic Grass' to the nerds unfamiliar.

If so, how do you prefer it? As a Spliff? Or a Cone?

Or do you go all out with the Bucket Bong?

Do you bake cakes out of Leaf? Or do just smoke that when you're broke?

How does it affect you? Do you get sleepy fast? Or perhaps you just space out and talk about how the reserve bank is taking over the world.

Around the Network

No.

I like my brain cells. Plus, the smell is so horrible.

Whats a pot?

Nah just kidding.....no comment.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Nope.

The Health Effects of Marijuana

Negative Health Effects Are Numerous

By Buddy T, About.com

Updated: September 18, 2006

About.com Health's Disease and Condition content is reviewed by Steven Gans, MD

Although legalization activists and many marijuana users believe smoking pot has no negative effects, scientific research indicates that marijuana use can cause many different health problems.

Marijuana is the most commonly used illicit drug in the United States. When smoked, it begins to effect users almost immediately and can last for one to three hours. When it is eaten in food, such as baked in brownies and cookies, the effects take longer to begin, but usually last longer.

Short-Term Effects

The short-term effects of marijuana include:
  • Distorted perception (sights, sounds, time, touch)
  • Problems with memory and learning
  • Loss of coordination
  • Trouble with thinking and problem-solving
  • Increased heart rate, reduced blood pressure
Sometimes marijuana use can also produce anxiety, fear, distrust, or panic.

Effects on the Brain

The active ingredient in marijuana, delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol or THC, acts on cannabinoid receptors on nerve cells and influences the activity of those cells. Some brain areas have many cannabinoid receptors, but other areas of the brain have few or none at all. Many cannabinoid receptors are found in the parts of the brain that influence pleasure, memory, thought, concentration, sensory and time perception, and coordinated movement.

When high doses of marijuana are used, usually when eaten in food rather than smoked, users can experience the following symptoms:

• Hallucinations
  • Delusions
  • Impaired memory
  • Disorientation

Effects on the Heart

Within a few minutes after smoking marijuana, the heart begins beating more rapidly and the blood pressure drops. Marijuana can cause the heart beat to increase by 20 to 50 beats per minute, and can increase even more if other drugs are used at the same time.

Because of the lower blood pressure and higher heart rate, researchers found that users' risk for a heart attack is four times higher within the first hour after smoking marijuana.

Effects on the Lungs

Smoking marijuana, even infrequently, can cause burning and stinging of the mouth and throat, and cause heavy coughing. Scientists have found that regular marijuana smokers can experience the same respiratory problems as tobacco smokers do, including:

• Daily cough and phlegm production
  • More frequent acute chest illnesses
  • Increased risk of lung infections
  • Obstructed airways
Marijuana contains more carcinogenic hydrocarbons than tobacco smoke and because marijuana smokers usually inhale deeper and hold the smoke in their lungs longer than tobacco smokers, their lungs are exposed to those carcinogenic properties longer.

One study found that marijuana smokers were three times more likely to develop cancer of the head or neck than non-smokers. Many researchers believe than smoking marijuana is overall more harmful to the lungs than smoking tobacco.

Other Health Effects

Research indicates that THC impairs the body's immune system from fighting disease, which can cause a wide variety of health problems. One study found that marijuana actually inhibited the disease-preventing actions of key immune cells. Another study found that THC increased the risk of developing bacterial infections and tumors.

Effects of Exposure During Pregnancy

Several studies have found that children born to mothers who used marijuana during pregnancy exhibit some problems with neurological development. According to those studies, prenatal marijuana exposure can cause:

• Altered responses to visual stimuli
  • Increased tremulousness
  • Problems with sustained attention and memory
  • Poor problem-solving skills
Link - http://alcoholism.about.com/od/pot/a/effects.htm

Smoking pot is one of the dumber things you can do with your time.

I had a friend who had everything going for him. He had a cool girlfriend, he had a nearly full ride at SMU, had a lot of good friends, and things were just generally going well for him. Then he had another friend that was just a giant pot head and got him started smoking pot.

He started by saying it wasn't actually bad, it's legal in other places, and every other excuse pot heads tell themselves to make it alright but they really know it's dumb as shit. After that he started losing friends, lost a lot of his scholarships, lost the girlfriend, and had to drop out of school.

Since then he's moved to all other sorts of drugs but pot what is really started it all for him and ruined his life. That's kind of the short story of it but you get the idea.

I'm sorry, but people who smoke pot are just morons. They sit there and tell themselves that they aren't going to do any real drugs or they aren't hurting themselves but lets see them five years down the line. What other drugs have you done? How much money have you wasted? How many friends have you lost? How many opportunities have you lost?

Sorry for the rant but this is one of those sensitive issues. People who smoke pot are just fucking stupid and the people that sit there and tell themselves they're cool because they aren't pot heads are even bigger idiots.

Around the Network

I have absolutely no problems with almost any kind of drug (short of heroin and the like) if it's used recreationally.

But those who do them on a daily basis... Not so much.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

its just like alcohol...use in moderation and not when operating a vehicle

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

How about you Art? You didn't answer your own question?

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Nope, never. I'm utterly unconvinced of pot being more dangerous than alcohol, but have never any interest, nor chance to try it. I have a feeling it's much less popular in Europe than the US... with the possible exception of the Netherlands.

nope. never, I dont like any kind of drugs...

My only drug is the videogames and this forum... pretty addictive

SSBB FC: 5155 2671 4071 elgefe02: "VGChartz's Resident Raving Rabbit"   MKWii:5155-3729-0989