By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Seattle Informer loves the 360 - 12 Reasons why GTA IV is better on the 360

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/digitaljoystick/archives/138345.asp

This article is awesome, not because I agree with it,  I actually disagree with most of it.. but just because.. well.. here read on!!

12 reasons  (FOR THE RECORD - I do not agree with all these points, some I think have no reason being used for GTA IV comparison, others are just stretched out truths/half lies)

1. Higher Native Resolution : The native resolution of GTA IV on the Xbox 360 is 720p while the PS3 is 480p. A game's native resolution is the dimentions that the image is rendered at before it is scaled to match the resolution setting on your HDTV. The PS3 hype about games at 1080p is pretty much pure hype. There are no complex 3d games that run at that resolution. The graphics on the PS3 version of the game is rendered at a lower resolution and stretched more giving it a more blurred final image, while the 360 game had more pixels at the start and ends up a crisper image.

2.The ANA chip : The Xbox 360 has hardware based scaling of images to scale images to whatever resolution is needed on the fly. Since this is done in a dedicated chip this leaves the Xbox 360 CPU and GPU free to work on the game. The PS3 requires that all graphics scaling to be done in software by the CPUs. Granted it has a lot of CPU power but hardware based graphics scaling is a much more elegant way of rendering 3d images at multiple resolutions.3. More availible RAM : The PS3 opertating system is a memory hog that eats up alot of avaible memory. This means that it needs to either load a massive install on the PS3 hard drive to cache texture data or use lower resolution textures. The Xbox 360 on the other hand as a very effecient minimalist operating system (It's not Windows) that leaves a lot of memory resources left over for game developers.

4. CPU GPU architecture : The PS3 CELL architecture is great at chomping long numerical calculations but breaking down computational tasks to that many CPU cores takes a serious juggle to get them all working at an even work load. Using multiple CPUs didn't work out so hot for the Sega Saturn.

5. Developers, Developers, Developers, Developers! WOOO! - MS CEO Steve Balmer : Microsoft's first product was a programming language. Software development tools has been a major part of their DNA from day one and both the Xbox and Xbox 360 were designed to be a very effective platform for game developers. To Microsoft development tools are not something to be trifled with. The Xbox 360 game development software libraries are handsdown the best in the world from what I've read about them and the company has worked a long time in garnering a strong supportive relationship with software developers for their platform. It is easier for game developers to get results quicker using the Xbox tools than the PS3. Just look at what a major programmer on Rockband had to say bout it.

6. Faster optical disc access : Blu-Ray might be great for movies but when it comes to moving data off a disc and into RAM quickly for game DVD is a better way to go. The Xbox 360 version does not require you to hand over close to four gigs of hard drive space for an install that needs to be there for as long as you own the game.

7. Exclusive downloaded content : Microsoft probably had to wisper some sweet nothings into Take 2's ears and possibly open up their pocket book to guarentee that extra downloaded content for GTA IV would only come out on Xbox 360. We don't know if it is going to be new weapons, cars, missions or full islands but I know that it is going to rock and the only way to get it is via Xbox Live

8. In-game messaging via Xbox Live : I can hit the guide button on the Xbox 360 and see if my freind BBQ is on his Xbox 360 and send him a message inviting him to play a game right from the game. We then might throw it down in GTA IV or kick it Puzzle Fighter HD style with a cross game invite.

9. In-game network data : I can tell what level my freind BBQ is playing from looking at his gamertag. that is pretty Meta Web 2.0.

10. Achievments and Gamerscore : I can tell how far he is and if he has gotten that taxi service achievement yet.

11. On the Xbox 360 version The network code in the game does not crash the game, the multiplayer servers are actual dedicated Xbox Live servers and not GameSpy and there is no file corruption glitch in the 360 version.

12. Better controllers : There is rumble in all the wireless gamepads on the Xbox 360. The old default PS3 controller has allways feel way to light to me and I do like having rumble. GTA IV makes use of the analog triggers for driving and the 360s top triggers are much better for presision driving controls.

Edited (spelling): Goddam... I need to proof read my crap sometimes

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Around the Network

I read that. I actually don't like articles like this. It is great that it supports a great game on a great system, but it is aimed at people that won't know that much about video games, and in some cases is just flat-out lying to them.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

The native resolution of GTA IV on the Xbox 360 is 720p while the PS3 is 480p.

Inaccurate in the first sentence. This will not end well.....

Numbers 7 - 10 are the only points that aren't BS or unrelated to the game and the only ones worth considering are DLC and achievements if you like them.

I liked the IGN insider's analysis of PS3 vs. 360 GTAIV.  Pick the ones your friends are playing so you can play multiplayer with them and forget all the other stuff. 

That's a terrible article.

-The PS3's output is 640p, not 480p
-2-5 are about technical aspects of the consoles and have nothing to do with the game (it's not even mentioned)
-12 is opinion, though I agree with it.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

A Seattle newspaper praising a product from a Seattle company. That's a shocker..

Around the Network

Okay, as a 360 owner, I can offer the following critiques to the article:

(1) Incorrect details. The PS3 version renders at 640p. Despite this, visuals are similar.

(2) Only affects users who don't have a TV that does scaling and doesn't accept 720p.

(4) What does the architecture have to do with the quality and enjoyment of this specific game

(6) Yep, the optical disk is faster on the 360. You know what's faster than that? The PS3's hard drive, where a lot of commonly used content from GTA 4 is stored.

(10) If video games are the most important thing in your life, your gamer score and achievements might matter to you. I ignore them, of course, because I'm focused on enjoying myself and having fun while I use entertainment mediums, rather than trying to get some shitty, false sense of accomplishment ("omg, I spent X time trying to get some boring achivement").

No one else cares at all about your gamerscore or achievements. Just you.

thekitchensink said:
That's a terrible article.

-The PS3's output is 640p, not 480p
-2-5 are about technical aspects of the consoles and have nothing to do with the game (it's not even mentioned)
-12 is opinion, though I agree with it.

wrong, the output is 720p.

The game is internally rendered at 640p and then internally upsacled to 720p, but the video signal that  comes out of the PS3 and into your tv is in fact a 720p signal.

Just clarifing that matter. 

I'm sure some one is going to break apart this article in a few posts.

>9. In-game network data : I can tell what level my freind BBQ is playing from looking at his gamertag. that is pretty Meta Web 2.0.

Stalkers everywhere rejoiced!

no mention of actual game itself? Did the guy even play GTAIV.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

Flame thread alert.
The whole article is complete utter garbage. So many lies in it and so anti-PS3 and so bias towards the 360. It sickens me. I want this thread locked immediately.