By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Official Valkyria Chronicles Thread

Yes I am creating a thread where I can dump info on my most anticipated game this year. No one really cares about this one, but I know there is like ten people who will be kind enough to check up on this.

"My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
To children ardent for some desperate glory,
The old Lie; Dulce et Decorum est
Pro patria mori."

(Excerpt From Wilfred Owen's WWI Poem, upon which this game is based)

Battle Field Valkyrie: Gallian Chronicles is an upcoming Strategy RPG developed by SEGA for the PlayStation 3. It is set in the fictional world of Europa, in the country of Gallia. Because of its abundance of ragnite ore—which can be refined into a powerful fuel—it has come under attack from the East Europe Empire, which itself is engaged in war with the Atlantic Ocean Federal Organization. Players take control of an uprising of Gallian nationals, dedicated to repelling the invasion. The game's visuals have received a lot of attention, featuring sketch-style cel-shading of such high quality that it has attracted favorable comparisons to animations by Studio Ghibli.

Information:
Published by: Sega
Developed by: Sega
Genre: Strategy/RPG/TPS
Number of Players: Single-Player
Price: $59.99
Media: 1 Blu-Ray Disc
Release Date:
Japan: April 11, 2008
US: November 4, 2008
EU: October 28, 2008
Platform: PLAYSTATION®3

North American Boxart:

Gameplay:
Valkyrie of the Battlefield features a unique turn-based battle system called BLiTZ (Battle of Live Tactical Zones). In-between turns players are treated to an overhead map view, but zoom in to control each individual unit on the battlefield. Movement and other actions are handled in real time, though limited by an AP gauge that varies for each character. This gauge can recharge even during the same turn as you operate other characters. Additionally, players are in direct control of the characters' aim, allowing for headshots and other advantages. The environment also factors heavily in combat. In an urban level, for example, snipers can be sent onto rooftops to eliminate unsuspecting enemies below while tanks and other units can outmaneuver enemy positions via the streets.

Environment:
Built upon the new "CANVAS" engine, Valkyria Chronicles' ground-breaking 3D graphics resemble a watercolor painting in motion. Imagine locations throughout Europe ranging from burnt out cities to sprawling hillsides. The possibilities are nearly endless.

Characters:
Each of the game's characters holds a unique role. The two girls in the game provide the short and medium range firepower, using an assault rifle and a machine gun, respectively; the rest of the group's members, who are men, fill out the sniper, heavy artillery, and tank commander roles. From the game's creator:

Gallia Platoon (You): 

Alicia Melchiott - Scout

Welkin Gunther - Tank commander

Isara Gunther - Youngest squad member. Welkin's sister.

Brigette "Rosie" Stark - Shocktrooper

Largo Potter - Lancer

Zaka - Tank Commander

East European Imperial Alliance:

Maximilian - Part of the Royal Family

Selvaria Bles - Awesome girl with blue laser cannon ... thing

Screenshots:

Movies: COMING SOON!

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

Make the "IMG"s all lower case. For some reason VGChartz doesn't like capital letters.

Yes, I will join the hype train with you! lol. This game seems like it actually deserves hype, some were calling it one of the best Sega games in years. I approve of this thread! :)

Have patience with me.

MM476, I may them lowercase, but the images doesn't fit the screen......

outlawauron said:
Have patience with me.

MM476, I may them lowercase, but the images doesn't fit the screen......

Oh.  Really then.

Around the Network

Yay Outlaw!
Reposting from your old thread. Though I think it's too early to hype people for this game.
Oh well, no reason for us few to be the only ones suffering in anticipation for this game I guess. ^_^

Oh, and you're missing the cameo pics!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everyone pay attention for I bring forth Valkyria Chronicles impressions!

Valkyria chronicles have been reviewed in this week's famitsu, scoring a total of 34/40 .

the reviewers particularly noting that :

+The game is very refreshing by combining action and simulation game elements together
+Graphics,Scenario,Presentation belongs to the top class games' performance
+Compliment on the originality and unique aspects on the game.
+Large battle stages
+Gameplay can be quite challenging at times

By Sonsaru@ gamefaqs
I read the review and the rest of the magazine today. I was so caught up in the 7 pages of SRWZ that I forgot to read the Valk stuff when the mag first appeared on Friday ^-^

Not much more to add, though. Overall they say that the production quality is very high, and while the focus is clearly placed on the story and dramatic elements the battles were described as "surprisingly challenging," with plenty of different possible stratagies and tactics availble. One reviewer did stay "although there are numerous things I don't like, overall an excellent game that really makes hope for the sequals," he didn't mention excalt what he didn't like!

Of course, you're better off watching the plethora of vids that Sega have been putting out, anyway! Especially the 2nd Training vid that just came out gives a really good idea of what the game will be like to play.

Personally I love the idea that the enemies fire at you in real time, meaning you have to hide and wait until they reload etc., and the idea that your guys always automatically fire back at enemies who move close during the enemy turn - there's massive strategic potential for traps and ambushes there.

In the back of the mag there were two more pages of images, including images of the optional soldiers who can be recruited around the start of the game - the "filler" units that don't impact the story but can be used in pad out your forces in battle. What is most impressive about these is that every single one appears to have a unique face - I got a really good semi-Shining Force vibe from this. So I'm loving that.

Fairly recently Famitsu have also started to put an estimation of play length with their reviews. For this it was 40-50 hours to complete and then 100+ to do all the bonus stuff, whatever that may be.

"Graphics,Scenario,Presentation belongs to the top class games' performance"
"Overall they say that the production quality is very high, and while the focus is clearly placed on the story and dramatic elements "
I'm hyped ^_^

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags? 

When I get this, it will be my first SRPG. I'm really pumped. :D

makingmusic476 said:
When I get this, it will be my first SRPG. I'm really pumped. :D

But Level 5 needs Jeanne d'arc sales.
Aren't you going to help them ='(

Anyway, did you know Riot got banned again?
He just came back today and he's gone again. T_T

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags? 

Yes iclim. Let us dump the info here. I want to this thread at the main page quite often.

; )

makingmusic476 said:

Oh.  Really then.

This is coming from a hot piece of man meat! XD
Your wall just made me smile M.

@outlaw
Let's do our best then.