By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - XBox 360 new model released Quarter 3

Well, this would be a good short-term move for MS. It'd certainly lead to a nice hardware boost for the holidays, but I don't think it'll lead to increased software. Many people that pick this up will either be 360 re-buyers or people who wanted the 360 anyway and took the best model available. Very few people are going to jump onto this for the Blu-Ray feature, so MS would be foolish if they didn't take a higher profit margin on this than the Premium unit.

Long-term, this is rather meaningless. It doesn't really extend the generation for them any, nor does it stop Sony from closing in on them in terms of marketshare. While it'll keep the wheels turning, it's not going turn the tides if their games can't do it.

You do not have the right to never be offended.

Around the Network

Faster graphics? Isn't it just a move to 65/45/whatever nm? That has nothing to do with speed, just chip size.

Regarding the Blu-Ray drive it's possible, but it wouldn't be used for games.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Squilliam said:
Yup, as I predicted a while ago to myself.

I think we will see a new motherboard so expect also

1. Wireless certainly
2. Reliability

So, in other words, don't buy an Xbox 360 now, because they are unreliable?

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Rock_on_2008 said:
Xponent said:
Blu Ray support makes sense for Microsoft. It effectively neutralises a major advantage of the PS3. If they can reduce the price of the unit further, they might be able to regain some lost ground this Xmas. GTA4 DC, Fable 2 and Banjo 3 is a respectable line up.

Gears of War 2 will sell heaps around Xmas too.

What an oversight.  o_O   Indeed, GOW2 will be the biggest game for the Xbox this Xmas IMO.

@ Squilliam, are you being sarcastic? Even if it did sell less than a million first day, that's hardly an indication of a flop. Halo 3 it is not.

Squilliam said:
Rock_on_2008 said:
Xponent said:
Blu Ray support makes sense for Microsoft. It effectively neutralises a major advantage of the PS3. If they can reduce the price of the unit further, they might be able to regain some lost ground this Xmas. GTA4 DC, Fable 2 and Banjo 3 is a respectable line up.

It will flop dude, I predict less than 1 million sales first day.

1 million first day....isn't a flop.

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network
Rock_on_2008 said:

Check this out: http://blogs.mercurynews.com/aei/2007/10/09/xbox_360_secrets_after_falcon_comes_jasper/

^XBox 360 with a new chip in it called Jasper. Cheaper cost of XBox 360, cost of manuafacturing consoles over time decreases. Expect a further price cut on 360 in NA by August/September.

• xbox 360 core
  • xbox 360 premium
  • xbox 360 arcade
  • xbox 360 elite
  • and now xbox 360 jasper lol`s

Only Joking.

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

ChichiriMuyo said:
Well, this would be a good short-term move for MS. It'd certainly lead to a nice hardware boost for the holidays, but I don't think it'll lead to increased software. Many people that pick this up will either be 360 re-buyers or people who wanted the 360 anyway and took the best model available. Very few people are going to jump onto this for the Blu-Ray feature, so MS would be foolish if they didn't take a higher profit margin on this than the Premium unit.

Long-term, this is rather meaningless. It doesn't really extend the generation for them any, nor does it stop Sony from closing in on them in terms of marketshare. While it'll keep the wheels turning, it's not going turn the tides if their games can't do it.

The feature im picking to change the fortunes would be price games and that air mouse thats rumoured. People will pick this one up also if theyre not sure which one to get or blu ray is also important to them. It could be worth a 10-20%boost in sales im picking.

Tease.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
Squilliam said:
Yup, as I predicted a while ago to myself.

I think we will see a new motherboard so expect also

1. Wireless certainly
2. Reliability

So, in other words, don't buy an Xbox 360 now, because they are unreliable?

In terms of complete reliability it will make the Xbox360 as reliable as the PS3, so with that 3 year warranty it will become a safer buy than the PS3.

The hot GPU can also slowly kill the Dvd drive as well due to the positioning. That and a new motherboard design will make it an extremely reliable unit. Not that the unit isnt right now, I pick a 5% failure rate per year vs 1.5% for the PS3, I say equal reliability after the revision and it will be less sensitive to user abuse.

Tease.

Xponent said:
Rock_on_2008 said:
Xponent said:

What an oversight.  o_O   Indeed, GOW2 will be the biggest game for the Xbox this Xmas IMO.

@ Squilliam, are you being sarcastic? Even if it did sell less than a million first day, that's hardly an indication of a flop. Halo 3 it is not.

Well yea of course. It will probably sell at least 5 million units if not creeping into the 6-7million range due to increased market penetration. Its quite an accessible shooter for noobs I think so it should get a good attach rate.

Tease.

Squilliam said:

I was joking lol but there do seem to be a lot of rumors coming from there. Nothing confirmed so obviously no crashed cars.

As for the blu ray comment... well as a format its more valuable the more players you have in your household. Still, it is early days yet, but consider this. If your family spends $250 on movie disks per year. Over 5 years the cost is $1250 and the cost of the player is $50 so total cost $1300. If you have Blu ray your total cost is $1650 and the difference is only $350. Now ok the price of the disks is high right now but im sure the market will price them accordingly. There are other advantages to the format like the ability to hold whole seasons on one or two disks. So the migration will happen but I think its the costs of the disks holding things back, not the price of the players.

Lastly - Microsoft has a lot to gain from a new console, so does Sony. Any changes they make to the current 360 will be because they think it will either make them money or secure more market share or even better! Both.

Who is going to buy a new sony console if it released in August.  PS3 jus came out and its like 450? a new sony console wouldn't be cheeper and everyone loves to complain how the ps3 is expensive. same goes for MS. the market would be over saturated.  besides the economy is not going that well in America, jobs are being lost and all economies are linked so expect this to be a world wide depression same stuff happened in the 1930's.  Thats why consoles exept for the wii are selling like crap and the one reason ppl buy wii's are because of the price being so affordable( not ripping on wii fans, i own one, its great just saying its more affordable then the PS360) so i would expect the the sales of all consoles to slow down for a while as well as software, GTA IV being an exeption because God made it.

so in summary any console released in Summer 09 would flop