By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How Pro Evolution Soccer might be the Wii's big weapon in Europe.

* in term of software sales ??

no, since the game is multiplateform PS360/Wii and since the Wii version was released 6 month later

* in term of hardware sales ??

no, since PES fan are used to the PS360 gameplay compared to the new RTS Wii gameplay

QUESTION :

Does the Wii really need a big weapon in Europe ?

Wiifit will be sufficient ...

Time to Work !

Around the Network

you should not underestimate how much some guys over here play this game, and for how many years the are already playing these Pro Evo's (and Fifa's, but the hardcore play Pro Evo), i'm not a computer football fan myself, I rather play it for real on some real grass, but some friends of mine seriously play it hours and hours and hours in a row, and we have regulary tournaments in town.. I only go with them for the beer when they play :P

''Hadouken!''

Ajax:

You're using the wrong example. Sure a lot of hardcore PES players will stay with PS.
But: the majority of PES players are casual, like the Madden players in the States. They want to play PES, no matter the console. If they then also hear that the best version is on Wii AND that Wii is at least € 150,- cheaper, the choice is easy.

I think what it proves is that if you can get the controls right, people will buy the game. EA should take note, although I'm not sure if they have the brainpower to do the same.

Ajax:

You're using the wrong example. Sure a lot of hardcore PES players will stay with PS.
But: the majority of PES players are casual, like the Madden players in the States. They want to play PES, no matter the console. If they then also hear that the best version is on Wii AND that Wii is at least € 150,- cheaper, the choice is easy.

Around the Network

I just don't see the demographic who purchase Pro Evolution Soccer being as interested in the Wii as say the PS3 or 360.

There are also a few disadvantages to the Wii.

1. It doesn't support 4 players. (The importance of this cannot be overstated.)

2. It has a new control scheme. To the semi casuals who have played football games for the past 10 years on a dualshock controller or the past 6 years on a Xbox controller, are better reviews really going to be enough to entice them to change platform?

A large section of the Pro Evolution fanbase have already purchased a next gen console, at this late stage it's my belief that the Wii can only hope to rope in gamers still using their PS2.

3. If internet forums are anything to go by, Graphics do seem to be an issue for football gamers.

In my personal experience as a European, I could definetly see Pro Evo sales for the Wii increasing (PS2 gamers upgrade to a Wii, people watching reviews closely change platform for the next installment) but as for it becoming the standard console for football gaming?

Not a chance.

Speaking strictly; this game was released about 6 months prior to the EU getting the Wii version, it needs to hit a huge audience in order for it to be recognized as such by it's 09 itteration.

At this rate it's possible but it needs to pick up somethign fierce to nail a million in another 7 months. Granted 500k is quite a huge number hitting 1 mil would almost certainly set in stone profits from that region on this platform for years to come.

I didn't buy the game though as I already have Mario Strikers and my friends don't even like playing that. if PES is online capable I'll check it out.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

Stof did not say it would replace all other footie games, but it will take away a decent percentage of sales from other consoles. It is selling well now and came way late to the party with no one expecting a Wii version to sell.

And of course some people will cling to the old way of playing, people frequently hang to things that are 'as they always have been'. And if you are playing in tourneys, it makes sense you will feel better with what you know instead of something brand new, like controlling the entire team.

Even it is doesn't dominate, a healthy shift in sales will be felt by the other consoles, and help the Wii. I've got PES2008 and can tell you, the gameplay more than makes up for it's lack of graphics horsepower.

And i'm sure Konami will realize the need to support 4 player local play. I think this years version was a ltest to see if sales were possible. Now that they are, they will defintely want to maximize profits next year.   

BAM! There it is!

Wii Code 3456 7941 4060 2924
COD MW Reflex 541192229709
BengaBenga said:
Ajax:

but the best version is not on the Wii? who says that the Wii has the best version of Pro Evo 2008? and like I said, they want also other games on their consoles, most of the guys playing football also play Call of Duty, GTA and Gran Turismo rather than Zelda, Mario and Smash Bros..

''Hadouken!''

Dallinor said:
I just don't see the demographic who purchase Pro Evolution Soccer being as interested in the Wii as say the PS3 or 360.

There are also a few disadvantages to the Wii.

1. It doesn't support 4 players. (The importance of this cannot be overstated.)

2. It has a new control scheme. To the semi casuals who have played football games for the past 10 years on a dualshock controller or the past 6 years on a Xbox controller, are better reviews really going to be enough to entice them to change platform?

A large section of the Pro Evolution fanbase have already purchased a next gen console, at this late stage it's my belief that the Wii can only hope to rope in gamers still using their PS2.

3. If internet forums are anything to go by, Graphics do seem to be an issue for football gamers.

In my personal experience as a European, I could definetly see Pro Evo sales for the Wii increasing (PS2 gamers upgrade to a Wii, people watching reviews closely change platform for the next installment) but as for it becoming the standard console for football gaming?

Not a chance.

PES 6 sold well over 3 million on PS2 AND 1 million on 360
PES 08 sold well over 2 million on PS2 AND 1 million on PS3 AND 1 million on 360

Looks to me like 2 million PS2 owners still have to make the switch. This is without taking into account that a lot of people buy "only" 1 or 2 PES games per console, so the real number is a lot higher.

PES fans are not graphic minded. FIFA was always the better looking footie game.

I can't tell you how many hours I've played football games in my student house, but it's a lot. I can also tell you that everyone would have loved to be able to better control deep passes and other players. These are the "gamers" I'm talking about.
Don't forget that the Wii hype is enormous. "Normal" people, that aren't on game forums do love stuff like Wii sports, because everyone loves it. But of course the most important thing is a good football game.