By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Dutch charts week 18 (GTA IV 360>GTA IV PS3)

konnichiwa said:
I am surprised because I saw a lot of news articles who said the PS3 version of GTA IV would do better than the X360 version (except the UK then). Even on dutch sites they said that the PS3 version would sell 2-1 to X360.

Was that based on pre-order numbers? If it was, then let it be a lesson to those who didn't yet learn that pre-orders are just part of the story...

If not then well, those sites were probably guessing, and guessing wrong.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

@NJ5

Leo-J is no longer here...so you wouldn't have gotten such comments...

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

NJ5 said:

360's advantage in Europe is mostly in UK, so let's not pretend that this isn't a blow (however small) to the PS3. The 360 also has a disadvantage in that it's easy to pirate its games.

I mean, if the PS3 version was on top, Sony fans would tell us "I knew it, the bundle sold a lot and GTA belongs to Playstation, OMG DOMINATION HAS STARTED". However, I agree that Dutch numbers aren't the most significant ones for obvious reasons.

Hey, I don't go around trashtalking Portugal either...

Nah you're right, we're just a tiny insignificant country. Nothing will change that so nothing left to just accept it. 

koffieboon said:
NJ5 said:

360's advantage in Europe is mostly in UK, so let's not pretend that this isn't a blow (however small) to the PS3. The 360 also has a disadvantage in that it's easy to pirate its games.

I mean, if the PS3 version was on top, Sony fans would tell us "I knew it, the bundle sold a lot and GTA belongs to Playstation, OMG DOMINATION HAS STARTED". However, I agree that Dutch numbers aren't the most significant ones for obvious reasons.

Hey, I don't go around trashtalking Portugal either...

Nah you're right, we're just a tiny insignificant country. Nothing will change that so nothing left to just accept it.

Hey it was not trash talking, I liked Amsterdam (didn't visit anything else there yet) ;)

@darthdevidem01: I hope you're right, but the Crazzymans (and others) make me think otherwise ;)

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

As I posted in the PAL charts thread (which no-one seems bothered to post in), 360 games often chart higher than PS3 games in Netherlands, so this isn't a big surprise to anyone who frequents those threads. Same in Sweden sometimes, so 360 GTA IV has a chance to be #1 there too, although it's unlikely to chart higher in any of the other individual format charts we get apart from UK.

360 is quite strong in UK, Ireland, Netherlands, and Scandinavia. IMO the latter countries seem to be the countries in Europe which are most culturally similar to England, and the strongest English speakers. If you look at other countries outside of Europe where 360 is strong (US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa) they're all  Anglo Saxon markets. Maybe online is more fun for English speakers, or maybe culturally these countries prefer the genre of games which are most prevelant on 360.

Around the Network

@ NJ5: Were you to busy smoking stuff or did you just enjoy the scenery?

@BKK2: The language probably has an influence on console choices in certain European countries. In Holland almost every game gets released in English (and quite frankly I'm happy about it) and Scandinavian countries probably don't get localized editions either. Basically it isn't really a question of wanting to talk in a foreign language, we're more or less used to it being a necessity. And don't worry about the PAL week 18 thread, I'm sure people will start to comment once charttrack releases the UK chart.

BKK2 said:

As I posted in the PAL charts thread (which no-one seems bothered to post in), 360 games often chart higher than PS3 games in Netherlands, so this isn't a big surprise to anyone who frequents those threads. Same in Sweden sometimes, so 360 GTA IV has a chance to be #1 there too, although it's unlikely to chart higher in any of the other individual format charts we get apart from UK.

360 is quite strong in UK, Ireland, Netherlands, and Scandinavia. IMO the latter countries seem to be the countries in Europe which are most culturally similar to England, and the strongest English speakers. If you look at other countries outside of Europe where 360 is strong (US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa) they're all Anglo Saxon markets. Maybe online is more fun for English speakers, or maybe culturally these countries prefer the genre of games which are most prevelant on 360.

I've noticed the same thing as well.  The more the country is fluent in English, the more they support the Xbox 360.  I don't know if it has to do with MS's marketing getting through or if most of the anti-PS3 sentiment is in English.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

so the 360 version outsold the PS3 one in UK and the Netherlands for sure, probably will in scandanavia. Question is whether that is enough to outsell the PS3 version in europe. I am completely positive the PS3 version will have better legs, but should be interesting at first. Worldwide though the 360 version will sell more.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

johnsobas said:
so the 360 version outsold the PS3 one in UK and the Netherlands for sure, probably will in scandanavia. Question is whether that is enough to outsell the PS3 version in europe. I am completely positive the PS3 version will have better legs, but should be interesting at first. Worldwide though the 360 version will sell more.

I expect the PS3 version to be ahead for all of Europe. The difference in the UK mentioned by Charttrack is just not big enough to offset the way the PS3 version will sell more in France, Germany, Spain and Italy. Maybe if the numbers for UK would have been around 70-30 in favour of the 360 it had a chance, but 55-45 in the UK just won't give them enough of a head start.

@NJ5:

360's advantage in Europe is mostly in UK, so let's not pretend that this isn't a blow (however small) to the PS3.

This is a false logic. It's true that when you take out UK PS3 and X360 userbase are similar in size but this does not mean that in any particular country PS3 or X360 have advantage. For example in Spain PS3 is in the lead and in Australia X360. For Netherlands we actually don't know excally and we can only guess that X360 has advantage from good performance of X360 titles in Netherlands chart (the biggest X360 won was Vegas 2 debuting on 1st while PS3 counterpart debuted on only 9th position).