By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GTA IV demonstrates HD console userbase desperation

Deviation59 said:
This whole "GTA IV will kill the Wii" crap is news to me. Everyone I talk to about the game has even given up on the stupid 360 vs PS3 crap - they're all to busy playing the game.

And I have no reason to argue with him, I already pared down his post into simple points and he pulled that "you didn't read my post" bullshit. You can't argue with stupid shit like that, you can only go back and forth yelling "yes you did" and "no I didn't" with each other.

"I'm not crazy! It's everyone else that's crazy!"

Paring down a post is one thing, but the conclusions you've come to about what I've "said" have nothing to do with what I've written. "amazing control experience" ? "battle it out for last place and irrelivance?" ?

You seem to be inserting all these various words like amazing and irrelivant that I just can't find anywhere in the original post I made. I don't see how I can come to any other conclusion besides that of you having NOT read the original post.

wartaal said:
basicly, the improvements gta 4 made from gta SA were bigger than ssbb did compared to even the original n64 smash brothers.
in almost 10 years nintendo just used the same basic formula with some minor tweaks. the next smash brothers will be very similar to the other three and nintendo will throw in some next characters > nintendo fanboys happy.

gta4 is pushing both consoles to its limits, therefore it will be having some minor errors that will soon be fixed hopefully.

great.... what are they? I've heard from so many people that the improvements made to GTA IV are huge. I haven't heard anyone actually list out ANYTHING other than "storyline and graphics"

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

Around the Network
Grey Acumen said:
To a certain extent I agree with the sentiment that the better reviews are CONNECTED to the fact that it's not a Nintendo game, but I don't feel it's directly CAUSED by that fact alone. Basically, my attempt here was to track down what the actual cause was for this phenomena, and this is what I came up with.

Actually, the theory I was originally starting out with when I started writing this was that game review communities were essentially lashing out at Nintendo for upsetting their well established standards of game review. However as I was writing, it occurred to me that review sites may actually be unable to adapt.

Of course it could also be a little of column A and a little of column B. Of course, I also recall galaxy or some other nintendo game getting huge reviews and the PS3 and 360 crowd were crying foul all over the place as well. This may just be a matter of waiting for those sites that are spending more time on the review or are just waiting to see how the field settles before setting out their own review, that may be lower score than the current flash flood of 10s.

I am quite curious to see what Yatzee while do with GTA IV though. Either its going to be right up his alley or he's going to tear it apart.

If Yahtzee gushes over GTA4, I'll never forgive him.  He hates everything but innovation, and that's why I love him.

Username2324 said:

I think you may be feeling a little empty inside. You feel left out because the Wii sells good BUT NO ONE CARES. There is no "This game is revolutionary!" on the Wii, there is no graphical greatness. The Wii is a gamecube on steroids, it's not that great.

Hehe, I think this part was quite funny. And there might be some truth to it also.

Deviation59 said:
This whole "GTA IV will kill the Wii" crap is news to me. Everyone I talk to about the game has even given up on the stupid 360 vs PS3 crap - they're all to busy playing the game.

And I have no reason to argue with him, I already pared down his post into simple points and he pulled that "you didn't read my post" bullshit. You can't argue with stupid shit like that, you can only go back and forth yelling "yes you did" and "no I didn't" with each other.

Then you have not been watching the internet recently. Hell there was a Forbes article about it. There has been a large internet based push for GTA4 killing the Wii which is what this is in response to.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

wartaal said:
basicly, the improvements gta 4 made from gta SA were bigger than ssbb did compared to even the original n64 smash brothers.
in almost 10 years nintendo just used the same basic formula with some minor tweaks. the next smash brothers will be very similar to the other three and nintendo will throw in some next characters > nintendo fanboys happy.

gta4 is pushing both consoles to its limits, therefore it will be having some minor errors that will soon be fixed hopefully.

"Improving a series" and "pushing a console to its limits" have nothing to do with each other.

Brawl pushes the Wii closer to its limits than ever before, seeing as how it is the ONLY dual-layered disc on the system, so it's potentially twice as big as other Wii games.

What did GTA4 change gameplay wise?  Did it tigthen the controls a little bit?  Is that innovation now?  That's expected.  In fact, that's what we want and is the exact opposite of innovation.  It's improvement, but ... not more than Brawl was.

Around the Network
Username2324 said:
There is no "This game is revolutionary!" on the Wii,

Hey what's up Username2324!  How've you been?  We miss you back here on the mainland.  We have all these amazing revolutionary games over here like Wii Sports, Mario Galaxy, and Wii Fit.  And hell we even harve games that rely on IR pointing, like Metroid Prime 3, Elebits, Zack and Wiki, Okami, and many others.  No other game console has IR pointing.  Anyway, it's too bad you're missing out on the fun.  By the way, how's your vacation on Ass Crazy Liar Island?

-- Rubang

kingofwale said:
First of all.

I hope nobody reads a 4 pages essay, This is internet forum, not classroom.

Second of all.

The topic itself "GTA IV demonstrates HD console userbase desperation" is clear flamebait.

Third of all.

The poster clearly stated that the topic does not reflect the story, so it was merely a tactic to get people all 'worked up', as a way to gain viewership.

For reason 2 and 3, I am asking Mod to please lock this thread.
Read the bloody post. You obviously didnt read it. Anyways great read. And I havent trusted any eview of a game for about 5 years. For instance when say IGN comment on one version being graphically better and then theres video evidence of the opposite, it makes you wonder if they were payed? Reviewers have always been biased to types or consoles.

The Ghost of RubangB said:
Username2324 said:
There is no "This game is revolutionary!" on the Wii,

Hey what's up Username2324! How've you been? We miss you back here on the mainland. We have all these amazing revolutionary games over here like Wii Sports, Mario Galaxy, and Wii Fit. And hell we even harve games that rely on IR pointing, like Metroid Prime 3, Elebits, Zack and Wiki, Okami, and many others. No other game console has IR pointing. Anyway, it's too bad you're missing out on the fun. By the way, how's your vacation on Ass Crazy Liar Island?

-- Rubang

LOL, I dunno why, but Ass Crazy Liar Island is the most hilarious thing I've read all day.

Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

Not sure what this means but I just did for fun a word search on IGN's reviews of OoT and GTA4 for the word perfect here is all the results.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Rarely is there such a perfect mixture of graphics, sound, and gameplay that even the most cynical players will admit that Zelda 64 is poised to shape the action RPG genre for years to come.

Everything, from Zelda's Z-trigger lock-on system to the game's in-game cut-scenes and well-balanced story advancement, is perfect.

Nintendo perfectly updates the Zelda series for a new generation. Involving characters and an almost movie-like feel at times.

Perfectly fine-tuned gameplay mechanics. Inspired camera control. Hundreds of secrets. A new benchmark.

Grand Theft Auto 4

There's a perfect balance of mumbling doomsayers to remind you that the reason this city never sleeps is because it's full of nut jobs.

The cast plays perfectly into a fascinating story that is not only is easily the best of the franchise, but one of the best you'll find in gaming anytime soon.

Negative use - Only GTA had negative use of the word perfect

I will admit that the cover system is not perfect.

Sure, it's not a game that runs perfectly all the time

A 10 doesn't mean a game is perfect

The new aiming and cover mechanics, while not perfect, do a fantastic job of completely changing the way combat works while keeping it at least as intense as we'd seen in past titles.

"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."

Your theories are the worst kind of popular tripe, your methods are sloppy, and your conclusions are highly questionable! You are a poor scientist. Especially if you think the moon landing was faked.

ioi + 1
kenzomatic said:

Negative use

I will admit that the cover system is not perfect.

Sure, it's not a game that runs perfectly all the time

A 10 doesn't mean a game is perfect

The new aiming and cover mechanics, while not perfect, do a fantastic job of completely changing the way combat works while keeping it at least as intense as we'd seen in past titles.

Which lines are for which games in the negative use? or are those all for GTA? And also I think you're the first person to actually raise a specific issue of how GTA IV improved on GTA III, even if it was indirectly by quoting other review articles.