By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Anti-Wii "Month" continues. Enter Forbes

yushire said:
Grand Theft Auto was a frontrunner unlike Wiifit, Mario kart Wii, SSBB, Mario and Sonic and Nintendogs, sure it have legs but not the same as the other games I mentioned so why the article says it will threaten the Wii? Wii can survive with Wii Sports alone, can GTA IV do that? After you finished the missions and sub missions you'll never play it again unlike Wii Sports. Sure, it have over 50 hours of gameplay but it doesnt mean that Grand Theft Auto games have infinite replayability like Wii Sports anyway.

This aricle was just the same Wii bashing we always read by Sony fanboys/M$ fanboys in the internet. It didnt deserve to be publicized I think M$ just paid Forbes to do that article.

Well I would argue against that, GTA is popular because few people actually do the missions rather than just driving around shooting stuff, I put GTA3 in my laptop a few days ago and it has been sharing my gaming time with Mario Kart Wii (even though my laptop doesn't support it properly so on the lowest settings I get terrible pop-up and misplaced textures that mean taking a shortcut is incredibly dangerous as you can hit something that was seemingly not there)

I have certainly played other games more than GTA3 but it does have a lot of replay value to most people purely because it is a sandbox game.

Around the Network

Anti-Wii month?

lulz.

Conspiracy much?

DMeisterJ said:
Anti-Wii month?

lulz.

Conspiracy much?

After NPD's numbers were released for March, there has been a flood of poorly written (and poorly argued) articles which can be summed up as "The Wii is destroying gaming!" or "The Wii is doomed!" ...

@yushire

what are you going on about

GTA is one the most re playable games made basically because there are TONS of things to do....I still get a shot of GTA SA and don't get bored

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network

It is Anti-Wii Month? Let me mark this in my calender...

SSBB: 1977-0005-2980 (JOEY) MKWii: 4382-2877-5902 (Joeykanga)
Wii:4027-0084-9432-1532             PM me if you add me.
Tag courtesy of fkusumot: Joeykanga - "Just post something once, don't ruin the thread"

Even if GTA sells 20 million that's only 20 million people who will own a PS3/Xbox360.

If GTA was a 100 million seller I'd say the Wii was in trouble but 20 million sales between the two HD consoles is nothing.

PS2 GTA only sold 15 million yet the PS2 sold more than 100 million consoles (although as I always say I'm sure quite a substantial percentage of those sales are repurchases after breakdown!)

PS3 and Xbox360 are going to need a lot more games that appeal to the casuals and masses than they currently have.

yushire said:
joora said:
If X360 and PS3 don't outsell Wii 3 to 1 (combined) for the next 2 months, IMO Wii's complete victory is sealed in that case
Remember, Wii fit still have to release in America and theres still Mario Kart Wii, GTA IV sold 4.5 million copies worldwide in its launch day with 360 and PS3 combined, Wii fit in Europe sold more than 600, 000 units in 2 days. And thats because Wii fit was already sold out because of limited units on stock.

Yes, that's my point, the situation most likely won't happen, so Nintendo has absolutely nothing to worry about.

TWRoO said:
yushire said:
Grand Theft Auto was a frontrunner unlike Wiifit, Mario kart Wii, SSBB, Mario and Sonic and Nintendogs, sure it have legs but not the same as the other games I mentioned so why the article says it will threaten the Wii? Wii can survive with Wii Sports alone, can GTA IV do that? After you finished the missions and sub missions you'll never play it again unlike Wii Sports. Sure, it have over 50 hours of gameplay but it doesnt mean that Grand Theft Auto games have infinite replayability like Wii Sports anyway.

This aricle was just the same Wii bashing we always read by Sony fanboys/M$ fanboys in the internet. It didnt deserve to be publicized I think M$ just paid Forbes to do that article.

Well I would argue against that, GTA is popular because few people actually do the missions rather than just driving around shooting stuff, I put GTA3 in my laptop a few days ago and it has been sharing my gaming time with Mario Kart Wii (even though my laptop doesn't support it properly so on the lowest settings I get terrible pop-up and misplaced textures that mean taking a shortcut is incredibly dangerous as you can hit something that was seemingly not there)

I have certainly played other games more than GTA3 but it does have a lot of replay value to most people purely because it is a sandbox game.

I have yet to play this game but I wanna try the Elder Scrolls's series, now thats what I call a sandbox game, you can play sub missions and not the main missions but feels that you're playing the main misssions itself. Unlike GTA series sub missions that more of a mini game with repetitive gameplay like the taxi missions and the vigilante missions. And you can kill people, be a good hero or be be a villain and it effects on what is your relationship with the world. Unlike on GTA that after you go to your safehouse and dress, busted or you painted  a new color to your car in pay and spray and the police will just ignore you that you've done was nothing even you kill 100 hundred people. And you can do anything in Elder Scroll's series you can just roam around in the world  and something unexpected happend unlike in GTA series that you roam in the world and nothing's happening in the game.

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

Joeykanga said:
It is Anti-Wii Month? Let me mark this in my calender...

Yes, apparently it was extended from Anti-Wii week by popular demand.