By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Iwata - thinking about Wii storage solution

Sounds like "Wii storage is coming... but not for a long time."

Around the Network

@Smeags

2 or 3 what? GB's? Standard SD cards are capped at 4 GB's but SDHC (HC for High Capacity) can handle up to 2048 GB.

A firmware upgrade could enable the use of SDHC cards. SD used the Fat16 file format system, just like Wii but SDHC uses Fat32 standard but can be formatted to also use Fat16.

@Kasz

I keep hearing that something will be announced at E3 with possible rollout prior to the holidays.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Truly a revolution. An expanded storage medium over 512mb, no way! Just a way to squeeze more money out of consumers to inflate their profits.

Baked to perfection.

@Viper

Yeah, excuse my crudely written post, that's what I meant. Thanks. OK then, 4 gig integration should be enough to satisfy most Wii user's needs for now. And wow at the amount of storage for SDHC's. I wonder how much those cost. :P

It's capped at 32 GB for now but it theoretically can handle 2048 GB because of how it stores data. You can buy a 16 GB SDHC form newegg for $60.00. 32 GB will released in a month or two but will command a sizable price.

Around the Network
disolitude said:

The bottom line is, storage space is something that will enhance gaming for all Wii gamers. However since a lot of casuals don't know what they are missing Nintendo has no urgency to solve this problem. He is even stating that a small number of hardcore Wii gamers have this problem...no, everyone with wii has this problem...most just don't realize it yet.

It won't enhance my game experience one bit. You are projecting your thoughts and desires on far too many people. I have no need, and no desire for extra space on my Wii. I likely wouldn't even use it if it were there. I have a 360 sitting in my house right now with all of two save files on it. The number of save files will grow, but nothing else really will. Maybe one or two XBLA games will get put on there in time. I have no use for DLC, and dislike having to install anything for console games. How is my experience improved by a feature I simply won't use?

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

NinjabreadMan said:
Truly a revolution. An expanded storage medium over 512mb, no way! Just a way to squeeze more money out of consumers to inflate their profits.

Because DLC on the other systems is free and out of the goodness of their hearts. [/sarcasm]

Stop trolling. 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Viper1 said:
It's capped at 32 GB for now but it theoretically can handle 2048 GB because of how it stores data. You can buy a 16 GB SDHC form newegg for $60.00. 32 GB will released in a month or two but will command a sizable price.

like we'll need 2 tb of memory

Bill Gates once said no PC will ever need more than 640kb of memory.

While we certainly don't need 2TB's now...just wait.

Viper1 said:
Bill Gates once said no PC will ever need more than 640kb of memory.

While we certainly don't need 2TB's now...just wait.

Just curious. Do you know if he meant RAM or storage? 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs