By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How much does a $82 PS3 price cut cost Sony?

well since all consoles are "stock" all the cars would be stock.. it depends on the pc... mines like a tricked out Kia ...rofl

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

Around the Network
homelesscarl said:
This is why PS2 games will still be coming out for years to come. They've got to make some cash somehow.

And why developer support for the PSP is great for SCEI, since that system is also profitable, even if it isn't selling as much.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Xyrax said:

Hell, I dont think Sony has a shot until they get that sucker down 200$ at LEAST. We already know what a PS3 sells like when its $500 instead of $600. Have you all forgotten? We HAD one of those. And it changed nothing. The sales were plummeting then and they are plummeting now. but at $399 it would have a good chance to take off into space.

However as a business they arent going to chuck 2Billion to the wind on the chance that it would send the PS3 to heaven. That would be idiotic.

You could not find the $500 dollar one! I would have gotten one if you could!

theshoe23 said:
Xyrax said:

Hell, I dont think Sony has a shot until they get that sucker down 200$ at LEAST. We already know what a PS3 sells like when its $500 instead of $600. Have you all forgotten? We HAD one of those. And it changed nothing. The sales were plummeting then and they are plummeting now. but at $399 it would have a good chance to take off into space.

However as a business they arent going to chuck 2Billion to the wind on the chance that it would send the PS3 to heaven. That would be idiotic.

You could not find the $500 dollar one! I would have gotten one if you could!

Same here. I was extremely irritated at Sony for killing the 20GB model and for not importing them in any numbers to begin with.

I don't like wireless for gaming, the extra HDD space didn't matter, and card slots are a waste of my time. I was the perfect candidate for the $500 model and the extra $100 made the PS3's price easier to swallow.

I might even own one right now if they hadn't discontinued it. I bought my 360 a little after the PS3 launch and couldn't justify another huge console purchase right away.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Hey RocketPig, last night I saw the $499 PS3 available on ebgames.com snatch it up!! :) 06/03/07

Around the Network
FishyJoe said:

$904,865,709

At least according to Sony CFO Oneda.

http://business.nikkeibp.co.jp/article/topics/20070524/125473/

“In regard (to the future of game business) texture is bad, it is. If 'the play station (PS) 10,000 Yen ($82) in price of 3' is reduced, the profit wobbles as much as 110,000,000,000 Yen ($904,865,709) under. Magnitude (influence) is large, is difficult to foresee”. Like this what you speak is the SONY Ooneda Noboru line CFO (the highest financial affairs patsy).

Got to love google translation. Highest financial affairs patsy indeed

That should be made someone's signature. I don't do signatures but if I did that would most certainly be one.

"Highest financial affairs patsy." That sounds like me everytime I go to fill up at the gaspump! HA!

John Lucas

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

They lose a billion dollars if they cut the price by $100? So much money.

Surely the fact everyone's expecting a price cut means making the cut is all the more urgent. People are even less likely to buy a PS3 was the current price now everyone seems to think Sony will have to cut at least $100 off.

Maybe this is keeping demand artificially low too. May mean a $100 cut would have a bigger boost on sales than people expect.

I think sony made a big mistake by promoting the PS2 as a multi-purpose media/computing unit. That got microsoft involved just to protect their PC profits. They're fine losing cash on x-box, as a spoiler for PS dominance of living-room computing, and this could motivate them to keep cutting 360 prices in line with PS3 price drops, regardless of whether that's the profit maximising decision for their 360 division.

Even if a price cut is coming, it wont be this year. They are hoping their 1st party titles move systems. They are confident that people will pay the $600 price tag for their great software line up. Sure, a price cut with the software could increase sales even more, but Sony is not ready to start loosing more money. After they see the results of the holiday season, seeing if, in fact, the software moved systems, they can wait for production costs to decrease even further in 2008. That way, the PS3 can get to the point were it is neither making nor losing money for SONY.

Just my thought on price drop.