By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How much does a $82 PS3 price cut cost Sony?

Hell, I dont think Sony has a shot until they get that sucker down 200$ at LEAST. We already know what a PS3 sells like when its $500 instead of $600. Have you all forgotten? We HAD one of those. And it changed nothing. The sales were plummeting then and they are plummeting now. but at $399 it would have a good chance to take off into space.

However as a business they arent going to chuck 2Billion to the wind on the chance that it would send the PS3 to heaven. That would be idiotic.

Around the Network

i don't agree with people saying that they need the price drop to get more profitable. Sony will never make up that 1 billion dollars with the PS3, and they certainly won't make up the 2 billion they lost over the last fiscal year. They're just gonna have to wait until next year when a price drop is less costly.
The difference between a successful and a failed console will certainly make up that amount, and that may well be what's at stake here. And as for waiting until it's less costly, the dilemma is that waiting could cost them far more than a drop now ever could. If they don't have a sizeable install base by early 2008, 3rd party support will start to erode fast. Once that happens, sales will fall even faster and there'll be no recovering. I don't think the PS3 is quite on that path yet. They've still got a lot of awesome titles lined up for the end of this year or early 2008. But I don't know if they can pull it off without a price drop by then, either.

This is why PS2 games will still be coming out for years to come. They've got to make some cash somehow.

I am Daemon. I am the Word.

LOL at blue3... dude your sig is funny...you should change the picture of the ps3 car to the Homer mobile

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Homer_dreamcar.gif
that is acually more accurate as of now

last week ps3 sales lets see..
*japan*
DSL 127,461
Wii 58,644
PSP 26,097
PS2 11,311
*PS3 9,627*
Xbox360 2,044
GBM 407
GBASP 288
GC 256
DS 81
GBA 17

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

Lets say that they did discount the system, I heard that they need to have something like 20 games sold for each system to start making a profit, anyone wanna help me out with the numbers?

Around the Network

i think the sig is a great show of the consoles capability in car terms. (if i make a cartoony version, iam using the homer mobile for sure)

Blue3 said:
i think the sig is a great show of the consoles capability in car terms. (if i make a cartoony version, iam using the homer mobile for sure)

K. Then can you add a "PC"to that? I guess it would need to be a super flying car from the future. With rockets. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Let's say they do drop the price. Let's say $100? Brings us to $499. How many here would be influenced to buy it? I would guess, nothing but a very small spike would come from it. Sony needs at least the $399 price range to go toe to toe with XBOX360 and needs to drop as low as $299 to have multi-million mass market appeal. I would ascertain that Sony cannot drop their price due to the following: a) loss of profit b) owners who bought the system for the origianl 7 months it has been out c) Huge turnaround in company status. "The next generation starts when we say it does" will become..."Mistakes were made" I like Sony as a company, but they are reeking of 1991 Nintendo right now.

Predictions For Last Full Week of Sales in 2010)

WII - 80.35 Million

360 - 43.88 Million

PS3 - 41.40 Million

More terrible predictions coming Jan. 2011!!!

1991 Nintendo Referring to the Playstation debacle with Sony and Phillips (So I guess that makes it 1993 Maybe they are more like 1996 Nintendo

Predictions For Last Full Week of Sales in 2010)

WII - 80.35 Million

360 - 43.88 Million

PS3 - 41.40 Million

More terrible predictions coming Jan. 2011!!!

Bodhesatva said:
Blue3 said:

K. Then can you add a "PC"to that? I guess it would need to be a super flying car from the future. With rockets.

Rofl. That's awesome. And a very good point. The PS3 is only the most powerful for, well come to think of it Crysis on the PC already passed it graphically. Technically it's not out yet but as soon as it is the PS3 hardware is just as obsolete as the Wii's, the difference being that the Wii never tried to have the best in the first place knowing the PC always wins in that field.