By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Wii isnt competing with next gen consoles, its competing with last gen

This is what I've been saying all along. When the Wii passes PS2, it will have won the last gen war. You can't say that it is competing with PS3/360 because its not even close technology wise. A generation can be defined by the type of technology used, not when it was released.

This is the first time this has happend. Every generation the hardware has been very similar until now. All that we can conclude from this is that the Wii is not in direct competition with the PS3 and 360. But of course, Nintendo fans only see how successful the Wii is and don't care about the technicalities. Yes, Nintendo is selling great, but it is still a generation behind. As long as developers keep making the core games for PS3/360 I don't care so much. I'm still upset about MH3 moving to Wii. Would have been 100x better on PS3, but money wins over quality I guess.

Around the Network

The point is, the Wii is competing. Its competing with the PS2 and not the PS3/360. Shovelware, cheap system, same technology, need I say more?

"A generation can be defined by the type of technology used, not when it was released. "

But you are basing the Wii on specs, not the technology. If it was using lest gen tech, it would cost more than the Xbox, for using parts as they were back then. This is not the case. The Wii's CPU is based on today's tech, just in terms of efficiency instead of power.

For one thing, if the Wii was using last gen tech, its RAM type would be DDR, not GDDR3.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Xiru said:
The point is, the Wii is competing. Its competing with the PS2 and not the PS3/360. Shovelware, cheap system, same technology, need I say more?

Sorry but shovelware is a feature of the leading console, cheap price was a feature of the last gen too (no more than $299), and the current gen price tag was a big mistake...

Same tech, lol, sorry, but the Wii features bluetooth, wifi, usb, gddr3, 90 nm process, very low energy consumption, the slot drive accepts 12 cm dvds and 8 cm mini dvds, sd card slot and 512 of flash memory...

The wiimote features built-in accelerometers, infrared sensor, bluetooth and speaker...

Tell me please how many of this features were in the GC or the PS2, or the xbox???

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."

If the Wii is competing with the PS2 right now then the PS2 is getting it's ass kicked and Sony need to come up with something that can compete with the Wii.

By extension Nintendo don't need to come up with something to compete with the PS3 and 360 because they are already making boatloads of money on their 'last generation' product and need not take the financial risk of entering the HD war.

The "Sony is the technology leader and feels compelled to be on the technological edge" arguement is redundant because is merely their way of trying to make money, they aren't doing it due to some personal moral imperative to provide us with the best technology. Furthermore in that regard they fail when compared with PC's.

The technology that moves us forward and becomes an integral part of our future lives is determined by the consumer, not the manufacturer and at the moment consumers are suggesting that altered user interfaces are the way forward, not raw processing. If Wii continues to be successful this generation and then brings improved motion control into the next generation, Sony and Microsoft risk being the ones who appear, in the eyes of the consumer, a generation behind.

Around the Network
Xiru said:

Please dont even say 1 more word, troll.

We've had enough of your trolling + failure, now leave.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Oh its threads like this that we just need when a big non-Nintendo game launches. This doesn't contribute to the chaos at all. Sigh...

rudyrsr8 said:
Bye bye Mrs. American pie. Drove my chevy to the levy
but the levy was dry

Xiru said:
A generation can be defined by the type of technology used, not when it was released.

I suppose you would know better than everyone in the industry, correct?   A generation is most certainly determined by the incremental reelase of flagship consoles.   We are in the 7th generation regardless of what YOU think defines it.

By your logic, N64 (64 bit) didn't compete with Saturn/PS (32 bit) or better yet that PS2 (128 bit) didn't compete with GC/Xbox (32/64 bit hybrids).  How about handhelds...rather obvious the PSP is more powerful than the DS.  Are you going to tell me they don't compete?

Come off it kid.  You're just mad because your console of choice is losing and you'll make up any excuse to validate your purchase.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

This thread is based on the false assumption that "next-gen" means consoles that can output at 720p.

Just because the Wii's maximum resolution is 480p does not keep it out of this console race, and for the record, its graphics are substantially better than the PS2 anyway.

The whole point of the Wii is not awesome graphics, but a unique control scheme and casual strategy.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )