By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Grand Theft Auto IV - Already surpassed Halo 3 (MGC)

For top Xbox 360 games this week, via MGC

http://www.mygamercard.net/leaderboard.php

As of this second, GTAIV is about 500 cards away from H3, and has surpassed it by now (as the servers update every hour).

How big is this? Call of Duty 4 (which has sold almost 6 million copies worldwide) overtook Halo 3 in about 4 weeks. GTAIV did it in about 24 hours.

Mind you, it will take awhile to get the full numbers from MGC (as they can be a good teller of how sales are going), but judging by the UK Leaderboards, I would say that GTAIV is leaning toward 1m units (or so) in Europe for the X360 first week, or more.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

Schnike, that's a lot.

Crikeys.

lol awesome :) thanks for the info

Jesus christ, this GTA is beyond massive, seems Pachter was right on the money or perhaps even a bit low.

Around the Network

What does this mean exactly? I don't understand how this 360 stuff works.

Amazing. And I expect PS3 version to sell even more in first week in europe. GTA is monster.

Parokki said:
What does this mean exactly? I don't understand how this 360 stuff works.

Mygamercard.net is the leading Xbox 360 website for tracking Gamercard information. It's a huge help in establishing my XBLA Sales Chart numbers I put out every week.

More than that, they track 2 MILLION Xbox 360 Players/Gamercards. Their servers update every hour, to show how many people (that week) have been on Xbox Live, and have played a given game. This is very important, as it shows what the most "popular" game is for that week.

If you cross-index top titles, you've always been able to measure how quickly-selling a game has been. Halo 3 was #1 on MGC on Monday afternoon - taking every other game out. Obviously, we all know, Halo 3 sold about 3.3m copies that week. But on MGC, we were able to see a very good representation of Halo 3 versus any other game.

Fast forward to December - COD4 overtook Halo 3 on a weekly basis. About 3 weeks later, Microsoft confirmed that COD4 had indeed overtaken H3 in terms of how many people play in online per day.

MGC isn't 100% perfect with it's accuracy. It usually gives a bit of advantage to new games, as it's 2m userbase is mostly "hardcore" or "core". However, when you compile various numbers from there, you get the understanding that GTAIV is huge. Taking down Halo 3 so quickly on the MGC Leaderboard list is a huge feat - no game has beaten H3 since it launched except for COD4. And since December, COD4 and H3 have been in a virtual #1 and #2 lock no matter what game was released (million selling Rainbow Six Vegas 2 never got anywhere near the numbers that H3 and COD4 have posted on MGC. Never.)

So again, you can just see what it's doing, and easily establish that, as of right now, GTAIV is going to easily out-preform COD4 in terms of units sold, and looks like it could rival Halo 3.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Yeah, let's see EA try and make that 26 cents a share offer again

epsilon72 said:
Yeah, let's see EA try and make that 26 cents a share offer again

I think it was 26 bucks or something...but yeah...screw you EA!!!