By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why GTA4 blows OoT our of the water.

OoT vs GTA4 will be the biggest grudge on teh internetz for the next decade. I'm firmly in Zelda's camp.

Check out the VGC Crunch this Podcast and Blog at www.tsnetcast.com

Around the Network
TheRealMafoo said:

Today is different. Spend any amount of money you want, and take any video/computer game you like, and there is nothing today that outshines GTA4.

And there is where your post lost all of it's credibility. You were doing right up to that point u_u

Comparing GTAIV with any PC game in the technical aspect is pointless, so let's go to the ratings. All of the PC games you compared with Ocarina of Time are rated lower. All of them. You compare them and talk about those game like if they where superior. Ok, no problem with that, but the same could be applied for GTAIV.

TheRealMafoo said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
ssj12 said:
konnichiwa said:
Just bigger....

The differences are enormous, some really have to play it....

agreed, the differences between previous titles of the franchise and GTA4 are night and day.

It's not a sandbox game where you steal cars and shoot at people with guns?

Well if that's the case I might just pick it up... for the PC.

6 hours into it, I have stole 3 cars, and killed 6 people. All criminals. That's less people dead then 5 min of MGO, or CoD4.

P.S. Most of those MGO deaths are sadly my own :p

Hey, I said "shoot at people" not "kill people."  It's not my fault your aim sucks. 

Red*Pokemon*Trainer said:
rocketpig said:
I'm actually going to write an editorial about this over the weekend.

To put it bluntly, my viewpoint will be polar opposite to yours.

Pointless if you have not played GTA 4,you have no bases to judge the game unless you only write up unsupported opinions and dont want to be taken serious.

Sigh... You're right. I'm not going to play the game. I don't have a copy of it. I'm not going to dedicate every free moment of the next 4 days to GTA IV.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

rocketpig said:
Red*Pokemon*Trainer said:
rocketpig said:
I'm actually going to write an editorial about this over the weekend.

To put it bluntly, my viewpoint will be polar opposite to yours.

Pointless if you have not played GTA 4,you have no bases to judge the game unless you only write up unsupported opinions and dont want to be taken serious.

Sigh... You're right. I'm not going to play the game. I don't have a copy of it. I'm not going to dedicate every free moment of the next 4 days to GTA IV.

Say... could I not hang out with you for the next four days and not watch you not dedicate your time to GTA4?  ^_^

Around the Network
WiiStation360 said:
Just out of curiosity, how many hours of GTA4 did you play before you anointed it the "best game ever"?

I don't want to give anything away, but I was at a point in the story where I could not believe I was playing a game. It was like being part of an epic story... a movie... not sure how to explain it, but it was cooler then anything I have experienced in a while in video games. 

(In a while, i mean like 20 years)

I am about 6 hours or so into it. I have done a lot of side stuff too. You get a good connection to the characters in the game. You can go see a show, play some pool. Throw darts. Just hang out with the people. Over time, they get personalities. Then when things happen to them, it's a much bigger impact then most video games.

Everyone cries when they see old yeller die at the end of the movie. Most people don't die if they hear a dog got hit by a car. That feeling too two hours to convey in a movie. GTA4 does much the same thing. Better then any game I have played before it actually. 

If OoT was released today, yes it would score lower, because OoT set a standard that was improved on in later Zelda titles. It's still an amazing title that has aged very well. If GTAIV is anything like 3-SA then it can't compare to OoT or any 3D Zelda in my opinion.

If someone is young and plays GTAIV today, even after 10 years he´ll think that it still is the best game ever. Same thing with those that grew up during OoT´s time. Back then there wasn´t that much of a graphical difference between pc and console games. I´ve played most of those PC games that are mentioned and I don´t find them much technically superior.

Also you can´t compare a genre like RTS to action-adventure, as the first are meant for multiplayer and the latter for single-player.

I don´t look in the past nor in the future, if I find an old game I´m interested in I´ll play it. Every year I discover older games, play them and enjoy them. Actually I prefer many old games that have the same rating with fresh ones that I played, and the new ones are supposed to have progressed.

TheRealMafoo said:

If OoT were released today, exactly as it is, and it was the first time you ever saw it, you would laugh it away as shovel ware.

Most games today, even middle of the road games, outshine OoT today.

Every one of those games, from a technical perspective, was years ahead of OoT.

Thats were I stop caring about your post, you main back up is technology... yeah, even Ninja Bread Man is a better game (from tech point of view) than OoT, but OoT was able to make and "before and after"not just for his graphics, you need to include, story, content, gameplay, breaktrough feaures, replay value, music, the experience as a WHOLE, that made OoT the best game of the year, and so far the best game (I'm waiting for more reviews of GTA4)...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."

No, no, no. Your reasoning is very bad. Could I say the same about masterpieces from Picasso, Rembrandt? Age makes them better not worse. OoT is a game that anyone can play and even now is still a masterpiece.

OoT was the game that created a revolution back there in 1998. The story is great, the graphics were great, the sound, the gameplay all fantastic.

You cant base your opinion on a game without having finished it previously and, whats worse, to say its the best of all time, you would need to finish it at least many times.
Maybe some game can overshadow the greatness of OoT, but GTA4 doesnt come even close.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies