By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Penny Arcade opinions on Mario Kart Wii and Grand Theft Auto IV

That's pretty much how I feel about the previous games from the series. I'm getting GTA IV as some of the issues supposedly improved, though. It'll still be fun for five hours, at worst.

Around the Network
famousringo said:

I have totally attended GTA parties. Here's what you do:

Pick up the controller and steal a car. Proceed to do whatever you like with the car. Running cab missions, T-boning cop cars and trying to get some revolutions off a ramp are all excellent choices. But you can't get out of the car, and whatever you do, you're expected to do it recklessly.

When you're gunned down by a police chopper, ditch your car in the river, or just explode from using one too many walls to steer, you pass the controller to the next guy, who steals a car...

We used to do that all of the time.  We'd also do motorcycle stunts in Vice City. 

The GTA games are fantastic for random pick up and play stress release.   I will admit that the story mode missions are repetitive and I only bothered to finish Vice City.

I don't have or want a PS3, so I will wait for this to come out on the PC.  Until then, I will be playing Mario Kart!

--OkeyDokey-- said:
MontanaHatchet said:
Ahh, I remember '04. The epic battle between Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas and Halo 2.

Now the battle is a bit different, and I guess the responses depend on which forum you go to. If you went to Gamespot, no way in hell would Mario Kart be more liked by the community than Grand Theft Auto, although that seems to be the case here.

We have quite a battle here...

I'm sure many people's opinions will change once they've actually played GTA IV.

I'm fine with everyone saying that they enjoy Mario Kart more and GTA just isn't their thing, but to try and argue that Mario Kart is a better game....well "lol" kind of sums it up for me.

Totally agree, though I'd like to see someone claim how revolutionary MK Wii is just so I can laugh at them.

Mario Kart has worsened with each iteration.

GTA has bettered itself with each release.

Onyxmeth said:
Edouble24 said:
waron said:
Onyxmeth said:

I haven't played either game yet, so I can't comment on them pesonally. What I don't like though is Penny Arcade's opinion on Gran Turismo. Anyone can not enjoy the game, but they basically bash any simulation style games in the process, comparing GT to a petty ketchup packet or tree bark. What they fail to see is that the pull of the game is not driving around a Ford Focus like most of us are stuck doing on a day to day basis, but driving, and racing expensive cars most of us will never be able to afford. Taking their opinion into account, one shouldn't like sports games either because one could simply pick up a golf club, football, etc and just play it themselves.

@Rubang-I don't see how comparing Mario Kart to GTAIV because you can have parties with one and not the other is really relevant. Mario Kart is built around it's multiplayer experience and GTA is built around it's single player's. Would you also say Madden is better than Twilight Princess because you can have a Madden party but not a Zelda party?

i hope it's a joke cause whole single player in every gta game is just sad. history in every gta game is just retarded and stupid. it's like:

mission->mission->mission->end of the game. and by "->" i mean that you have to go to the specific house to start a mission, but you completely don't know why and what is the point of killing someone/driving somewhere. it's like a pack of skirmish missions and rockstar is calling it a single player.

It's obviously not a joke as most GTA games don't even have multi-player. The single player is obviously the focus of the game.

Thank you sir for pointing out what should have been obvious to this gentleman.

waron I didn't give my opinion on whether I even liked GTA. All I was pointing out is that GTA is primarily a single player experience and thus cannot be put up against Mario Kart in terms of party status. Nothing more, nothing less. Thanks for inserting your opinion where it's not needed or wanted though.

yeah but when a game that FOCUS on singleplayer has weak and silly(especially history) singleplayer then there is something wrong and in every gta game i see the same dull singleplayer.

Around the Network
waron said:

yeah but when a singleplayer in game that FOCUS on singleplayer is weak and silly especially history then there is something wrong and in every gta game history was dull.

Wow you must really be thick in the head if you still don't understand what I wrote to Rubang and how what you are saying have nothing to do with eachother. I won't explain it again, so please just re-read it.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

waron said:
Onyxmeth said:
Edouble24 said:
waron said:
Onyxmeth said:

I haven't played either game yet, so I can't comment on them pesonally. What I don't like though is Penny Arcade's opinion on Gran Turismo. Anyone can not enjoy the game, but they basically bash any simulation style games in the process, comparing GT to a petty ketchup packet or tree bark. What they fail to see is that the pull of the game is not driving around a Ford Focus like most of us are stuck doing on a day to day basis, but driving, and racing expensive cars most of us will never be able to afford. Taking their opinion into account, one shouldn't like sports games either because one could simply pick up a golf club, football, etc and just play it themselves.

@Rubang-I don't see how comparing Mario Kart to GTAIV because you can have parties with one and not the other is really relevant. Mario Kart is built around it's multiplayer experience and GTA is built around it's single player's. Would you also say Madden is better than Twilight Princess because you can have a Madden party but not a Zelda party?

i hope it's a joke cause whole single player in every gta game is just sad. history in every gta game is just retarded and stupid. it's like:

mission->mission->mission->end of the game. and by "->" i mean that you have to go to the specific house to start a mission, but you completely don't know why and what is the point of killing someone/driving somewhere. it's like a pack of skirmish missions and rockstar is calling it a single player.

It's obviously not a joke as most GTA games don't even have multi-player. The single player is obviously the focus of the game.

Thank you sir for pointing out what should have been obvious to this gentleman.

waron I didn't give my opinion on whether I even liked GTA. All I was pointing out is that GTA is primarily a single player experience and thus cannot be put up against Mario Kart in terms of party status. Nothing more, nothing less. Thanks for inserting your opinion where it's not needed or wanted though.

yeah but when a singleplayer in game that FOCUS on singleplayer is weak and silly especially history then there is something wrong and in every gta game history was dull.

That's your opinion and not many really care about it, it also has nothing to do with what he said. He's saying the play style of the games are too different to compare, especially if you're going to say that Mario Kart is better because you can have parties with it. Mario Kart is a party game. I can have a party with Mario Party, is it better than every single player game ever because of that?

Wow I thought I was the only one who believed GTA is boring.

For me it's.

1. Friend puts in cheats
2. Shoot a lot of stuff
3. cops to military
4. Die/Arrested
5. Learn cheats and repeat 2 & 3
6. Learn to navigate a part of the world that I will never seem to get out of.
7. Begin to wonder if this is the entire map as it all seems the same and open up map
8. Do 2 - 7 over again exculding 4.
9. Find joy in killing helecopters, move on to Call of Duty 4. XD

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

I haven't played GTA 4 so I can't say if I agree with his opinion of the game or not, but I do think that it's cool that he has his own opinion and isn't a mindless robot that's buying into all the hype. I do have MKWii and think that it's great.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

and I thought I was the only one that found the GTA's franchise boring XD