By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Penny Arcade opinions on Mario Kart Wii and Grand Theft Auto IV

Amen penny arcade. With all of the GTA3 iterations, I had trouble really enjoying the games. I would play them for a few hours but after a certain point, I felt like I was doing the same things over and over again. I don't mean it as an attack on GTA but rather on all of the open world games, that seem to lose something in the creation.

It's good to see someone else who hasn't been seduced by the GTA hype train

Around the Network

I agree with all that was said, though I imagine I would rate GTAIV higher than MKWii myself.

i agree with penny arcade. i've play all gta games and only the first one was good rest of the series is just boring and repetitive(i've never played gta 3 games for more than hour because all of them were so damn annoying and borring). i still don't get it how come reviewers can give this game 10/10 or even 9/10 cause this game doesn't deserve it and never will be. now i really don't trust any site cause it looks like they paid them all to pull those 10s out of their asses. i don't trust any site that released review of gta 4 before 29.04  because those reviews are probably well paid by  the publisher and i probably will stop trust any of this sites at all.
mario kart wii over whole gta series no matter what cause it's much better game.

I haven't played either game yet, so I can't comment on them pesonally. What I don't like though is Penny Arcade's opinion on Gran Turismo. Anyone can not enjoy the game, but they basically bash any simulation style games in the process, comparing GT to a petty ketchup packet or tree bark. What they fail to see is that the pull of the game is not driving around a Ford Focus like most of us are stuck doing on a day to day basis, but driving, and racing expensive cars most of us will never be able to afford. Taking their opinion into account, one shouldn't like sports games either because one could simply pick up a golf club, football, etc and just play it themselves.

@Rubang-I don't see how comparing Mario Kart to GTAIV because you can have parties with one and not the other is really relevant. Mario Kart is built around it's multiplayer experience and GTA is built around it's single player's. Would you also say Madden is better than Twilight Princess because you can have a Madden party but not a Zelda party? 

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Ahh, I remember '04. The epic battle between Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas and Halo 2.

Now the battle is a bit different, and I guess the responses depend on which forum you go to. If you went to Gamespot, no way in hell would Mario Kart be more liked by the community than Grand Theft Auto, although that seems to be the case here.

We have quite a battle here...

Around the Network
Onyxmeth said:

I haven't played either game yet, so I can't comment on them pesonally. What I don't like though is Penny Arcade's opinion on Gran Turismo. Anyone can not enjoy the game, but they basically bash any simulation style games in the process, comparing GT to a petty ketchup packet or tree bark. What they fail to see is that the pull of the game is not driving around a Ford Focus like most of us are stuck doing on a day to day basis, but driving, and racing expensive cars most of us will never be able to afford. Taking their opinion into account, one shouldn't like sports games either because one could simply pick up a golf club, football, etc and just play it themselves.

@Rubang-I don't see how comparing Mario Kart to GTAIV because you can have parties with one and not the other is really relevant. Mario Kart is built around it's multiplayer experience and GTA is built around it's single player's. Would you also say Madden is better than Twilight Princess because you can have a Madden party but not a Zelda party?

i hope it's a joke cause whole single player in every gta game is just sad. history in every gta game is just retarded and stupid. it's like:

mission->mission->mission->end of the game. and by "->" i mean that you have to go to the specific house to start a mission, but you completely don't know why and what is the point of killing someone/driving somewhere. it's like a pack of skirmish missions and rockstar is calling it a single player.

Normally I'd agree with Penny Arcade but Mario Kart Wii is only an average title due to the complete ruination of the battle mode. It's like someone at Nintendo purposely made the battle mode bad because I don't see how else it could end up so crappy.

As for GTA I've never been a huge fan of the series because the actual game play elements, mainly the aiming system, was complete garbage. I don't know how people excused that. GTAIV is supposed to have fixed that and all reviewers say this so hopefully I'll enjoy this one.

waron said:
Onyxmeth said:

i hope it's a joke cause whole single player in every gta game is just sad. history in every gta game is just retarded and stupid. it's like:

mission->mission->mission->end of the game. and by "->" i mean that you have to go to the specific house to start a mission, but you completely don't know why and what is the point of killing someone/driving somewhere. it's like a pack of skirmish missions and rockstar is calling it a single player.

It's obviously not a joke as most GTA games don't even have multi-player. The single player is obviously the focus of the game.

MontanaHatchet said:
Ahh, I remember '04. The epic battle between Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas and Halo 2.

Now the battle is a bit different, and I guess the responses depend on which forum you go to. If you went to Gamespot, no way in hell would Mario Kart be more liked by the community than Grand Theft Auto, although that seems to be the case here.

We have quite a battle here...

I'm sure many people's opinions will change once they've actually played GTA IV.

I'm fine with everyone saying that they enjoy Mario Kart more and GTA just isn't their thing, but to try and argue that Mario Kart is a better game....well "lol" kind of sums it up for me.

Edouble24 said:
waron said:
Onyxmeth said:

It's obviously not a joke as most GTA games don't even have multi-player. The single player is obviously the focus of the game.

Thank you sir for pointing out what should have been obvious to this gentleman.

waron I didn't give my opinion on whether I even liked GTA. All I was pointing out is that GTA is primarily a single player experience and thus cannot be put up against Mario Kart in terms of party status. Nothing more, nothing less. Thanks for inserting your opinion where it's not needed or wanted though. 

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.