By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How long has High Voltage been working on the Conduit?

Mummelman, the reason it's different is because of diversity. On the wii, the shooter niche hasn't been filled well, and so it will be a must have title there.

On the ps3, the same thing might be said if a great kart racer or platformer came out. It's all about sating the different voids on consoles.

Around the Network
kingofwale said:
for those who don't know much about High Voltage.. here's what they've made so far.

Games Published

Wii
Gyrostarr
Games Developed

Dreamcast
NFL QB Club 2001
NFL QB Club 2001

GameCube
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Codename: Kids Next Door - Operation: V.I.D.E.O.G.A.M.E.
Hunter: The Reckoning
The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy
The Haunted Mansion

Jaguar
NBA Jam: Tournament Edition
Ruiner
White Men Can't Jump

Jaguar CD
Vid Grid

Nintendo 64
All-Star Baseball 2001
LEGO Racers
NFL QB Club 2001
Paperboy

PC
Ground Control: Dark Conspiracy
LEGO Racers
Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude
Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude - Uncut and Uncensored
NBA Inside Drive 2000
NCAA Basketball Final Four 97
Vid Grid

PlayStation
LEGO Racers
NCAA Basketball Final Four 97
NCAA Final Four 98
Paperboy
Tempest X3: An Inter-Galactic Battle Zone

PlayStation 2
Ben 10: Protector of Earth
Duel Masters
Family Guy
Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law
Hunter: The Reckoning Wayward
Hunter: The Reckoning Wayward (Demo Disc)
Stitch: Experiment 626
The Haunted Mansion
Zathura: A Space Adventure

PlayStation Portable
50 Cent: Bulletproof G Unit Edition
Blitz: Overtime
Family Guy

Wii
Gyrostarr
The Conduit

Xbox
Family Guy
Hunter: The Reckoning
Hunter: The Reckoning Redeemer
NBA Inside Drive 2002
NBA Inside Drive 2003
NBA Inside Drive 2004
The Haunted Mansion
Zathura: A Space Adventure

As bad as that list is, it does demonstrate a few things ...

First and foremost that High Voltage is not some start up that produced a "Bullshot" in an effort to get investors for their dubious product; they are a (farily) old developer who has produced many bad (and not so bad) games across multiple generations.

Secondly, most of the list looks like licenced crapware which is typically the result of a publisher getting their hands on a licence and finding a developer to produce it at an amazingly low budget; the developer (typically) does the best job they can under these constraints but the quality of the project was determined well before they got their hands on it.

Finally there were some games on that list which were actually enjoyable for what they were; this isn't saying that Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance was the greatest game ever, but it was a competent port of a decent game.

On top of this, I just want people to consider one thing in general. Often smaller developers just start hitting a grove and being able to manage the size of a project, and the technology behind it, at the end of a generation; this means that (unlike large developers) they never are able to truely show off what they can produce. The smaller budgets and technical specs of the Wii (and WiiWare) give these developers the opportunity to compete with the 'Big Boys' and I'm pretty sure there will be crapware developers from the PS2/XBox/Gamecube generation who become decent or primiere developers because of their work on the Wii.

kingofwale said:
for those who don't know much about High Voltage.. here's what they've made so far.

50 Cent: Bulletproof G Unit Edition

Sweet, so we have nothing to worry about.

Seriously though, this is how a young, small developer works. Work on a number of liscenced "meh" titles until you earn enough to go out on your own and use your own ideas and creativity. I'm glad to see High Voltage break out of the mold with great concepts such as Animales de la Muerte. The Conduit and Gyrostarr look equally impressive and I can't wait to see how they will push these games on the system, both graphically and control wise.

Plus, they developed Harvey Birdman. And anyone who works with Harvey is a friend of mine.

Mummelmann said:
Its a little ironic that those who argue that PS3 and 360 is flooded with "only shooters" are the very same people who brag about Conduit and embrace it as a future must have. (not intended at the OP, just a casual observation).

The Wii is a great destination for FPS titles, but there are almost none.  This is a big deal because they might finally be seeing the potential for the system.  It's an underused, and necessary, genre on the Wii.  As someone else said, it's about variety, and in this area, the Wii is weak.

I remember that article. It was accompanied with the idea that Leisure Suit Larry was going to be on the Wii.

I am really hoping this turns out well. It would hugely benefit the Wii, all 3rd parties, and of course High Voltage.

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:
Its a little ironic that those who argue that PS3 and 360 is flooded with "only shooters" are the very same people who brag about Conduit and embrace it as a future must have. (not intended at the OP, just a casual observation).

Ironic perhaps, but not hypocritical. They would like the Wii to get more FPS, while they would like the other systems to get less, as in strike a balance. Don't give it just to systems who have plenty. Share a little.

It's not exactly a fair thing that the Wii only got the most mediocre of the CoD series. 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

HappySqurriel said:

Finally there were some games on that list which were actually enjoyable for what they were; this isn't saying that Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance was the greatest game ever, but it was a competent port of a decent game.

No it wasn't.

It wasn't a port at all. 

It was an almost completely different kind of game with Baldur's Gate written on the cover. 

This generation their are plenty of studios going Nintendo Wii exclusive. Look at the likes of JetBlackGames, based in Vancouver JetBlackGames is working on its own graphics engine for the Nintendo Wii. This graphics engine will power a new IP based on the companies mascot as well as other titles not yet announced.

So High Voltage isn't alone, JetBlackGames is also developing a graphics engine for the Wii. I don't understand why Epic hasn't created a new Unreal Engine for the Wii. According to Epic the Unreal3 engine could be adapted to run on the Wii.

So why is it the small studios are the only ones putting on the elbow grease. EA,UbiSoft,Epic all of the companies are more then capable of producing a great graphics engine yet none do!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Joelcool7 said:
This generation their are plenty of studios going Nintendo Wii exclusive. Look at the likes of JetBlackGames, based in Vancouver JetBlackGames is working on its own graphics engine for the Nintendo Wii. This graphics engine will power a new IP based on the companies mascot as well as other titles not yet announced.

So High Voltage isn't alone, JetBlackGames is also developing a graphics engine for the Wii. I don't understand why Epic hasn't created a new Unreal Engine for the Wii. According to Epic the Unreal3 engine could be adapted to run on the Wii.

So why is it the small studios are the only ones putting on the elbow grease. EA,UbiSoft,Epic all of the companies are more then capable of producing a great graphics engine yet none do!

I think Epic is perfectly capable of making an amazing Wii engine. I think that doing so would actually go against the 'message' they're trying to send.

They make a lot of money by licensing their Unreal Engine for the HD consoles. By "going backwards" and making an impressive Wii engine, they could still make money, but the issue here is that the effort, and by their own admittance a sort of backpedaling in their minds, would basically be validating the Wii. That it would be a sort of way of saying that it's okay to for the Wii not to be as graphically competitive as the other consoles.

The Wii is pretty much what they're against. They're defying it and everything it stands for by not supporting, not acknlowedging it, or even worse, only referring to it through snide and scathing remarks. The Wii is everything Epic is not. And by supporting it in the least, they would be admitting defeat.

I am SuperLloyd!

(Im)patiently awaiting the Dawn of the New World!

Anyone who doesn't think Lego Racers was a good game is a bad human being.

"Ho! Haha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust!" -- Daffy Duck