By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How many of you really own a PS3?

is tekken 5 dark resurection for ps3 any good? and flow is it good ?

Around the Network

I've owned a PS3 since November, not long after launch. It's OK, but the system still has a very long way to go until maturity. Whereas it has some cool features, it still lacks the overall polish of the 360, plus its not very user friendly. People may complain about motion controls being tacked on to wii games, but this is far worse with the PS3 - although the Warhawk beta shows how effectivly they can be used. In general, I pick up the 360 version of games for a multitude of reasons, not least of which is better ports. Also, the online may be free, but it cant compare to live as of yet. Overall, I'd say the 360 is a far better experience at the moment and definitly a better gaming value. However, the end of this year looks great for the PS3, and if it gets a substantial price cut, things may very well change. And @ Diomedes; You know the Playstation was the very definition of Mass Market, right? Sony has succeded in the past because they target the mass market. Their buisness model was built upon this, which is why some people are questioning how Sony will make a profit this gen. By contrast, the Saturn was a "hardcore" system, yet look how it did, both in terms of games and market penetration. I'd also say that many of the PS landmark franchises are "casual". FF7 is not, by any means, a "hardcore" RPG, the GT series is a joke compared to PC racing sims, ect.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

mm good stuff

ion-storm said:
Was it supposed to be 7 spe's with one for the OS and 1 for sound processing? I would imagine new middleware and Sony provided development kits and compilers will help ease the strain of programming for the cell. Though I know from my Java experience that I hate multi-threading hehe

Nope it is more 1 SPE always controlled by< the OS another SPE must be freed on demand. The problem with the SPEs, while Compilers can do some things in the long run (Standard memory management in the SPE), there are many features that they can't handle. Things like an automatic load balancing are simply no option for SPEs. 

Tispower said:
Poseidon said:
If I were to get a PS3, I would also get a 1080p T.V. to go along with it. My T.V. is pretty old and why not get a hold of the newest and best out there currently. Although, ultra-high def. could be coming along soon.

Yeah I wonder how soon Ultra-Hi-Def will be in the home. It is now in the cinema anyway, as the local Odeon cinema now has a new Sony (woo :P) projector, that has a definition of about 4000 x 2000, unfortunately I have yet to see it, so can't comment on how good it is. :(

We're gonna be waiting awhile for UHDV in home: from wiki

Eighteen minutes of uncompressed UHDV footage consumes 3.5 terabytes of data and one minute of uncompressed footage consumes 194 gigabytes (2 hours of full length movie will use roughly 25 terabytes of storage). If 1920×1080p60 high definition video has a bitrate of 60 Mbit/s using current MPEG-2 compression technologies, then four times the width and four times the height will roughly require 16 times the bitrate, which translates to 100 GB for 18 minutes of UHDV, or 6 GB per minute if MPEG-2 video compression was used. If H.264 (MPEG-4 AVC) or VC-1 video compression technologies were used then roughly half the bitrate of MPEG-2 would be required to achieve the same quality, meaning 50 GB for 18 minute of UHDV, or 3 GB per minute. (These numbers assume compressed data rates scale linearly with resolution. They do not, so actual compression numbers would be much better.)

Around the Network
vizunary said:
Tispower said:
Poseidon said:
If I were to get a PS3, I would also get a 1080p T.V. to go along with it. My T.V. is pretty old and why not get a hold of the newest and best out there currently. Although, ultra-high def. could be coming along soon.

Yeah I wonder how soon Ultra-Hi-Def will be in the home. It is now in the cinema anyway, as the local Odeon cinema now has a new Sony (woo :P) projector, that has a definition of about 4000 x 2000, unfortunately I have yet to see it, so can't comment on how good it is. :(

Eighteen minutes of uncompressed UHDV footage consumes 3.5 terabytes of data and one minute of uncompressed footage consumes 194 gigabytes (2 hours of full length movie will use roughly 25 terabytes of storage). If 1920×1080p60 high definition video has a bitrate of 60 Mbit/s using current MPEG-2 compression technologies, then four times the width and four times the height will roughly require 16 times the bitrate, which translates to 100 GB for 18 minutes of UHDV, or 6 GB per minute if MPEG-2 video compression was used. If H.264 (MPEG-4 AVC) or VC-1 video compression technologies were used then roughly half the bitrate of MPEG-2 would be required to achieve the same quality, meaning 50 GB for 18 minute of UHDV, or 3 GB per minute. (These numbers assume compressed data rates scale linearly with resolution. They do not, so actual compression numbers would be much better.)

Annoying. Is presumed that becuase it was now in the cinemas, or at least starting to appear, it be in our homes soon, oh well, guess we need to wait for those holographic disks then :P

One person's experience or opinion never shows the general consensus

PSN ID: Tispower

MSN: tispower1@hotmail.co.uk

Tispower said:
vizunary said:
Tispower said:
Poseidon said:

Annoying. Is presumed that becuase it was now in the cinemas, or at least starting to appear, it be in our homes soon, oh well, guess we need to wait for those holographic disks then :P

God. Why can't they just sell us reels of film. We can project our own damn movies in resolution that is undefined by current laws of physics! Man if it is this hard for most people to adopt HD-DVD or Blu-Ray, it will be twice as hard to make them adopt UHDV.

The problem with film is that it deteriates over time, so becomes unuseable after a certain amount of years. Also film is prone to dust etc, thats why sometimes on the adverts they show in cinemas (becuase they show those a lot more than the actual film), the black bits etc, is done by dust on the film

One person's experience or opinion never shows the general consensus

PSN ID: Tispower

MSN: tispower1@hotmail.co.uk

UHDV? Good I was worried the PS4 would be lonely without a new format to force feed the consumer.

this turn into a technical fight