Forums - Gaming Discussion - GTA vs. Mario nKart Wii

kingofwale said:
dsoverpsp said:
kingofwale said:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/index.jsp

not according to the website. ;)

I see way more mentions of GTAIV than Mario Kart

no - go to the weekly ad

can't get to weekly ad, I don't have a Zip code, but Ads in Canada has huge GTA on the front, with Mario Kart only tiny print.

Well, mostly to advertise their midnight launch party

if you ever need a zip code just enter 5 random numbers. 12345 works. I think that might be California.

Around the Network

GTA IV will get better review scores on both PS3 and the XBox 360 than Mario Kart Wii.

I thinl GTA 4 is over rated. Mario Kart Wii's a fun party game. GTA IV is going to be like GTA, GTA 2, GTA3, GTA Vice City, GTA Liberty City Stories, GTA San Andreas *Mauled by Sony Fanboys* Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo........................

Mario Kart for Wii will thrash the combined GTA4 sales.
Think about it GTA4 is adult oriented the only pleople who play it are males thinking of getting into drugs and organised crime mind you this probably alot of people still
Mario Kart however is on the most popular console and had far broader appeal than GTA4 and it has the Wii Wheel too.

While there is No Doubt Niko may appear to have the upper hand with his knowledge of Rocket Propelled Grenades and knives in a combat situation he should seriously consider taking out maximum medical cover cause nothing he has is gonna stop Mario wiping the floor with Nikos face in terms of real world sales figures.

PS3 number 1 fan

Jandre002 said:
dude17761991hatp said:
GTA combined will sell more the MK in the states. As to WW, I think it's anyone's game. No pun intended.
GTAIV on the 360 alone will outsell MK. WW combined it might be as much as 2-1 if you say combined

You think so, even taking into account GTA sales in Japan are going to be significantly lower than Mario Kart?

GTA SA (PS2) Total Sales Japan 0.41m

GTA VC (PS2) Total Sales Japan 0.47m

GTA3 (PS2) Total Sales Japan 0.36m

I know Mario Karts are not HUGE sellers in Japan but it's probably going to sell 2 million more than GTA, but GTA will outsell it worldwide combined.

Around the Network

Both MK and GTA have massive legs. Its going to be close in the long run but I think GTA4 will win.

GTA is both hardcore and casual at the same time. You cannont sell 20 million copies without appealing to a more casual type of gamer. And for those people that don't believe me about the legs of GTA. Look at this

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
 Take 218214,290

It sold 14,290 in america this week. not bad is it?

GTAIV combined I think is pretty much assured to outsell MarioKart.

However there is no way even the better selling version of GTA will outsell it alone (not sure which will be the best in the end, I would bet on PS3 version which as an absolute maximum might sell 11 million (more like 9) wheras MK Wii is sure to sell 10 million, possibly 15)

GTA4 is very likely to outsell MK on both versions. SanAndreas' total sold units for PS2, PC and Xbox is around 22 million units LTD. Given that each GTA on the PS2 outsold it's predecessor, GTA4 in my estimate could sell 25 million units world wide.

This will only take a moment of your time. *steals your watch*

Dianko said:
Nebnosneh said:
Dianko said:
Nebnosneh said:
GTA IV may do better in the first week or two but MKWii will have higher liftime sales.

Mainstream gamers aren't as concered about getting a game the moment it is released.

True, but the amount thats going to be buying GTA4 will be ridiculous. And GTA4 IS a mainstream game. Previous games sold TONS after its initial release. MKWii is not going to sell more than GTA4. Dicounting Wii Play, I doubt there will be a Nintendo game that will sell close to it save Brawl.

I don't think GTA IV is a mainstream game, it's definatley hardcore. Playing Wii Sprts with family members who normally wouldn't touch a video game, that's mainsteam.

Besides, the previous GTA versions caused such a sensation in the last gen because they offered radically new experiances. The new game doesn't really do that (evolution rather than revolution.)

It's arguable both ways. I don't agree with the redefinition of "casual gamer" personally. And GTA was the epitome of the casual game last gen - a game that appealed of large segment of gamers as well as those who were not so invested in it.

Let me ask this question. Playing Wii Sports with family has definitely changed the equation of the gaming business. But how many of those parents do you think actively become consumers? Do you think they actually buy Zelda - not for their kids, but for themselves to play - after Wii Sports and Wii Play? I'd argue that these new gamers aren't really the new casual, they're fringe gamers. They play because it is a family activity that appeals to everyone, but outside of those constrainst, they aren't going to be purchasing anything for themselves. At the end of the day, I still think it's those that fit the definition of last gen's casuals that dictate purchasing.

I agree with you that the new gamers likely will not go out and buy Zelda. At least not yet :)

But we are not talking about Zelda, we are talking about Mario Kart, with it's Wii wheel, 4-player split screen and gameplay that ensures new players will win the odd race against veterans, whist giving the hardcore features they want too. So it is also a family activity that appeals to everyone, which is why Nintendo calls it a 'bridge' title.

"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever." - Spinal Tap

dude17761991hatp said:
GTA combined will sell more the MK in the states. As to WW, I think it's anyone's game. No pun intended.

There is no chance Mario kart wii will outsell the PS3 version of GTA 4 world wide, its highly unlikely, it would have to bomb for that to happen, and it just so happens it sold out.

mM