By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Another comparison of GTA IV PS3 vs X360

DMeisterJ said:

You completely ignoe IGN's review of the game, where they say the pop-in is much worse on the XBOX 360 than on the PS3.

Also, I didn't say that the PS3 had the better frame-rate, but they said they were equal, like the IGN review also confirmed.

@ NJ5

Okay, You have to pay for online, and you have to pay for rumble, same price (in america) so that argument is null and voided, thanks.

Why on earth would I be discussing an IGN review in a Kotaku thread? Particularly when there are three IGN threads open?

In THIS review, the 360 version is described as having a better frame-rate.  The PS3 version is described as having less pop-in. 

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network
starcraft said:
BCNR34 said:
starcraft said:
BCNR34 said:
starcraft said:
The_God_of_War said:
Clearly "no install" can't be used as an advantage, it's the reason the 360 is slightly inferior.
I gave the PS3 props for loading and pop-in advantages.........

no you didn't...lol

clearly your post just says "loading" and "sixaxis"

You really don't read threads huh? You just race in and look for a post from me and troll away.

Look again buddy.

loading=/=pop-in, they are clearly different things, and are even dealt with seperately in the paragaph. fail.

Ahhh, thats why I gave SEPERATE acknowledgements for them rather than rolling them into the same word.

Keep up mate.

you did, did you?

So the scorecard:

PS3 wins in:
-SIXAXIS support.
Where is the pop-in?

360 wins in:
-Frame-rate
-Aliasing/paint filter
-No install
-Rumble
-Achievements.

starcraft said:
DMeisterJ said:

You completely ignoe IGN's review of the game, where they say the pop-in is much worse on the XBOX 360 than on the PS3.

Also, I didn't say that the PS3 had the better frame-rate, but they said they were equal, like the IGN review also confirmed.

@ NJ5

Okay, You have to pay for online, and you have to pay for rumble, same price (in america) so that argument is null and voided, thanks.

Why on earth would I be discussing an IGN review in a Kotaku thread? Particularly when there are three IGN threads open?

In THIS review, the 360 version is described as having a better frame-rate.  The PS3 version is described as having less pop-in. 

Because if one person says something, it may be a lie, but if another confirms this, then you would not think of it as a lie.

I'm not bringing IGN into this about their review, but what they said matches the pop-in argument, and deals with the frame-rate issues which Kotaku even stated,"but both versions seemed to regularly run at a similar clip." 

NJ5 said:
kingofwale said:

well, if the rumble stops after 1 year period and asks you to pay for another 50 bucks so it will work for another year... you let me know. :)

I think the thread was doing just fine without your trolling, but thanks for stopping by anyway.

Funny, when you seem to mysteriously draw line between Rumble and XBL, it's okay, but when I do it, it's "trolling"??

I believe it's the number 5 of 10 Fanboy golden rule, "call others fanboy before they call you"

Geez, thanks, maybe look up for 'hypocrite' while you are at it?

All I'm saying is, to say that you HAVE to buy DS3 to experience the 'full experience' is flawed, considering you will lose much more without paying yearly fee to go online.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
BCNR34 said:
starcraft said:
BCNR34 said:
lets compare shall we:

framerate: "both versions seemed to regularly run at a similar clip."

pop-in: "The Xbox 360 version can suffer from some very noticeable texture loading"

Er, where have I said the 360 has better pop-in? Here is a direct frame-rate quote from the review:

"The Xbox 360 version seemed capable of achieving a smoother frame rate, peaking higher in certain circumstances, such as in confined spaces or during light traffic."

the framerate difference was nullified with that last sentence, as they are close to even, however there is obviously a huge difference from the PS3's pop-in compared to the 360's. which is why he called it technically superior.

A HUGE difference huh?  Would that be why the IGN review you and DMeister keep bringing up gave the games identical scores?

Note:  When a review points out that one console has less frame-rate drops than the other (even if irrelevant to overall score), it is NOT a fancy way of saying it has the SAME number of frame-rate drops.

Around the Network
NJ5 said:

Here's my version of the score card with all the caveats I can think of:

PS3 wins in:
- Some motion controls.
- Less loading times
- Less pop-in
- Free network play

360 wins in:
- Frame-rate
- Aliasing/paint filter
- No install
- Rumble (unless you have DualShock 3 which will cost you extra)
- Achievements.

Do people agree with this list or not? Anything missing there?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

The_God_of_War said:
starcraft said:
The_God_of_War said:
starcraft said:
The_God_of_War said:
Clearly "no install" can't be used as an advantage, it's the reason the 360 is slightly inferior.
I gave the PS3 props for loading and pop-in advantages.........

I know, but you made it sound like "no install" is a good thing for the 360. I can understand a mandatory install being annoying, but it clearly reduces technical issues. Mass Effect could have benefitted from an install and so could GTA 4, from the looks of it.

Accepting that I already gave the PS3 props for the conceivable technical advantages installs bring, how is it not an advantage that 360 owners will play the game the moment they pop it in the console whilst PS3 owners will have to wait around?

True, that's an advantage. But the (albeit minor) technical problems it brings are a disadvantage. This whole hard drive install thing a double edged sword if you ask me, perhaps we can agree on that.

We can

kingofwale said:

Funny, when you seem to mysteriously draw line between Rumble and XBL, it's okay, but when I do it, it's "trolling"??

I believe it's the number 5 of 10 Fanboy golden rule, "call others fanboy before they call you"

All I'm saying is, to say that you HAVE to buy DS3 to experience the 'full experience' is flawed, considering you will lose much more without paying yearly fee to go online.

Sorry, I misunderstood your post. I thought you were talking about the RROD Haha.

In any case, we agree that online is paid on the 360, and rumble is paid on the PS3.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

starcraft said:
DMeisterJ said:

starcraft said:
So the scorecard:

PS3 wins in:
-SIXAXIS support. (but you'll probably leave it off)

-Pop-in

360 wins in:
-Frame-rate

-Aliasing/paint filter
-No install
-Rumble
-Achievements.

Note that neither future DLC or future online capabilities are recorded as advantages as all are speculative.

Fix'd.

Meant to put pop-in under the PS3. Rumble is universal on the PS3, whereas it isn't available in the PS3 bundle.

Quoted for BCNR's benefit.  Keep up buddy.

NJ5 said:
kingofwale said:

Sorry, I misunderstood your post. I thought you were talking about the RROD Haha.

Considering that's a "hush hush" subject for all xbox fans, I accept your apology.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)