By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Can the Wii do any sort of HW antialiasing or is it all software?

I'm curious as I don't recall reading any specs that indicate any sort of hardware features dedicated or optimized specifically for anti-aliasing.

With that said, I bought Okami today and there seems to be some real-time AA going on in some parts of the game.  I could be mistaken, however, but I ocassionally see things that are most certainly anti-aliased.  They may just be prerendered (already anti-aliased manually by the artist) stuff that are being "moved" across the screen as it doesn't seem to be on everything...

Anyone with Okami care to share what they think?

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Around the Network

anti-aliased
don't even know what that means

I think someone said even the Gamecube had some form of AA I think...So the Wii must have it too (HW AA)

Yes, it has HW AA.

dsoverpsp said:
anti-aliased
don't even know what that means

Blurs jaggies to make them smooth or something. I have no idea either to be honest ;)

Around the Network

Considering the N64 had hardware AA, obviously the Wii can do it also.

The wii can`t do 3D grafix.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

I thought that was when horizontal bar sections of the picture were kinda out of sync with the rest of the picture during graphical heavy sequences, like in Ninja Gaiden for the Xbox.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
I thought that was when horizontal bar sections of the picture were kinda out of sync with the rest of the picture during graphical heavy sequences, like in Ninja Gaiden for the Xbox.

still don't rlly get it :(

ZenfoldorVGI said:

Nope, that's Vsync. AA is the smoothing of hard edges, or "jaggies" as most people call them.