By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Can the Wii do any sort of HW antialiasing or is it all software?

kn said:
HappySqurriel said:
kn said:
If HW AA is indeed possible on the Wii, why didn't we see it in SMG or SSBB? (Or even in Wii Sports for that matter)?

I'm certain now that I'm seeing it in Okami... Very certain. Interesting to say the least.

Antialiasing was used in both of those games ... The Wii and Gamecube both use hardware based 4xAA which greatly reduces the quantity and noticeability of most aliasing but doesn't completely eliminate it.

I don't know, Happy. Perhaps they are using 4xAA, but I've got a 42" LCD and I'm not seeing ANY AA on SMG. Perhaps it is there and I'm not seeing it but if it is there, I'd argue that it is 2xAA at most. On my 42", near horizontal lines have HUGE jaggies and I don't see any sofenting whatsoever on them. Is there some technical data somewhere you can point me to? I'm not saying you are wrong because, frankly, I just don't know, but I'd love to see something written about how Nintendo's hardware handles AA and what titles are using it...

The problem is probably your LCD.  The Wii has AA, but it doesn't have upscaling.  Your TV most likely doesn't handle the resolution of the wii natively.  

Around the Network

The resolution issues/jaggies only happen on an HD display. It's a 720x480 native signal. Throw that on a big 1920x1080 display and the image is scaled out and interpolated by a factor of 6. Of course it's going to look jagged, even if you soften the image to zero sharpness.

But display it on a smallish 480p Extended/SDTV and the image will actually look better and cleaner since it's being displayed at native resolution.

I've long accepted and gotten over the fact that Wii graphics just don't look too sharp on an HD display. It's not a big deal; everyone knew from the beginning that it was a SD console.

And yes, it has anti-aliasing. The N64 had anti-aliasing. It's not a big issue.

"Image Processing Function: Fog, Subpixel Anti-aliasing, 8 Hardware Lights, Alpha Blending, Virtual Texture Design, Multi-texturing, Bump Mapping, Environment Mapping, MIP Mapping, Bilinear Filtering, Trilinear Filtering, Ansitropic Filtering, and Real-time Hardware Texture Decompression (S3TC)."