By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - DS to reach 100 Million Shipped faster than PS2 (by over a year)

When scrounging through internet results on Nintendo's yearly report I found this little gem:

http://www.japancorp.net/Article.Asp?Art_ID=17900 

Nintendo DS Sales Likely to Reach 100 M. Units in 2009

Print  |   Email  |   Alerts

Tokyo, Apr 25, 2008 (Jiji Press) - Nintendo Co.'s <7974> portable game machine Nintendo DS is likely to achieve cumulative sales of 100 million units by summer 2009, only about four and a half years after its launch, in the best performance ever for a game console.

For the year to March 2009, Nintendo expects Nintendo DS to sell 28 million units, a decline of 2.31 million units from the previous year, according to earnings estimates announced Thursday.

Nintendo DS, which made its debut in North America in November 2004, is expected to reach cumulative sales of 98.6 million units at the end of March 2009 and top 100 million by the summer of the same year.

Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.'s video game console PlayStation 2 achieved cumulative sales of 100 million units five years and nine months after its launch. Nintendo's Game Boy portable game machine took more than 10 years to reach the milestone.

At the end of March, cumulative Japanese sales of Nintendo DS stood at 22.38 million units, exceeding the 20 million units conventionally seen as the sales ceiling in Japan.

Nintendo President Satoru Iwata said the company does not expect to sell as many units annually in coming years as it did in the past two years.

But sales of Nintendo DS are expected to continue growing in Europe and the United States, where the game machine is still in short supply.

In addition, the latest title of the popular Dragon Quest software series for Nintendo DS is to be released in Japan this year, a move that could very well lead to a boost in sales of the portable game machine.

The game business, in the words of one industry official, is little affected by economic swings, so cumulative sales of Nintendo DS could even reach 100 million units by the end of current fiscal year to March.

By Jiji Press, Jiji Press

Copyright © 2008 JCN. All rights reserved. A division of Japan Corporate News Network KK.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Around the Network

OMG
GO DS!!!!!!!!!!

I know it's being beaten by the PSP, but I just don't understand how the DS keeps selling in Japan. It really is incredible. I just cannot imagine it passing 25 million units there though. It is already so far past what people considered possible.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Well it's still a while away so who knows what could happen.

Still DS sales are insane. Way to go Big N.

The DS has reportedly been seen being used for non-gaming purposes in Japan (I seem to recall reading that one museum had acquired them as tour guidance devices). And apparently some schools there are also buying them for educational purposes. So the DS seeing a larger-than-usual sales count in Japan is not, actually, all that surprising in context.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Around the Network

Very nice, so 100 million... does that mean DS2 will be released Christmas Season 2010?

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

Wow, that's a big feat.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

dib8rman said:
Very nice, so 100 million... does that mean DS2 will be released Christmas Season 2010?

maybe but I want to see Ninty milk the DS so that it will pass PS2

Amazing, i never though it would be that successful. wow.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

Obviously its too soon to call this yet but...

Don't forget that Wii is tracking faster than DS

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu