By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - No price cut??

The DS will need a price cut methinks.

Manchester United 2008-09 Season - Trophies & Records

Barclays Premier League 2008-09: 1st // UEFA Champions League 2008-09: Finals (Yet To Play) // FIFA Club World Cup: Winners // UEFA Super Cup: Runners-up // FA Cup: Semi-Finals // League (Carling) Cup: Winners // FA (Charity) Community Shield: Winners
Records: First British Team To Win FIFA Club World Cup, New Record for No. Of Consecutive Clean Sheets In Premier League, New English & British League Records for Minutes Without Conceding, New Record For Going Undeafeated In Champions League (25 games ongoing), First British Team To Beat FC Porto In Portugal, First Club To Defeat Arsenal At The Emirates In European Competition, First Team In English League Football History To Win 3 Titles Back To Back On Two Seperate Ocassions
Around the Network

The fact remains that demand still exceeds supply. It makes zero sense to drop a price when supply cannot meet demand, as dropping the price will just raise demand even higher. But that reason is well understood, while the reason of buyer's remorse is not so well understood.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Umm.. what exactly is the context here? He's probably talking about why price cuts too early in a console's life are a bad idea.

It's true that price cuts make the last people to buy a product at the old price feel ripped off, but that's unfortunately how things work.

It's true, a price drop too early in a console's life is a bad idea; it lends an image of an unstable market position. And it makes people hesitant to buy because they'll figure hey, if one price drop happened so soon, another will happen soon too. Usually Nintendo price drops come with some sort of change in the offering. For example, the first 'price drop' for the NES involved releasing the Control Deck set, which just came with the system and 1 controller, but was about $50 less. So old buyers didn't feel ripped off for having paid full price, since new buyers didn't get the second controller or SMB1 and Duck Hunt.

Though I can't see Nintendo dropping the Wii Sports bundle any time soon, as it's still selling the system more than anything else could hope to. Once Wii Fit takes that role over, though, we could well see a "Wii only" offering for $200 that excludes Wii Sports.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

erikers said:
Instead of leaving the gamers who bought early only feeling ripped off, now they can let everybody feel ripped off by not lowering it at all. Great point

Yes, I'm sure they'd all rather be ripped off by ebay resellers than Nintendo.

I'm not surewhy you're complaining. Thinking of buying a Wii?

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network

Well maybe there will be a price cut in the 2010 fiscal year.

When Wii's stop selling out in less than a few hours worldwide then maybe we can start mentioning price cuts. Until then there's no reason to assume they will cut the price.

i don't find that insulting
he's trying to relate with the consumer

a price drop? are you kidding me? why should they? when they still are sold out?

when the Wii is still selling out the PS3 and the XBOX360 combined

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Naum said:
a price drop? are you kidding me? why should they? when they still are sold out?

when the Wii is still selling out the PS3 and the XBOX360 combined
he's not saying a price cut will happen