By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 11 Signs you're not not a hardcore gamer anymore

You fondly remember a ‘golden age’ of gaming

So me, although I remember about 6 different personal golden ages of gaming:

NES age, computer point and click adventure age (Monkey Island, Day of the Tenticle etc.), Strat/RTS age (Civ 2, warcraft 1 C&C), first FPS age (Doom, Quake), PS1 RPG age, 2nd FPS age (Halo). Granted there's a lot of overlapping going on there, but my hardcore years are clearly behind me (hopefully).

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
The most obvious sign that you aren't a hardcore gamer:

You put fun over art.

What if I buy some games for art and some games for fun and a select few games for both?

Also, IMO, anyone who actively looks up video game information on the internet or in gaming magazines on a consistent basis is a core gamer.  Anyone who doesn't, isn't.  Yes, I'm saying well over 90% of gamers are casual on all platforms. 

i call bs on this article just because i got a PS3, 360, and a Wii and love all 3 makes me non hardcore sure thing.

Incert Witty Comment on how i'm a fanboy of all systems including PC here.

ehh...just ignore the stupid article

Rubang is the perfect example of how one can grow up and still be so daggon hardcore.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
naznatips said:
RolStoppable said:
The most obvious sign that you aren't a hardcore gamer:

You put fun over art.

What if I buy some games for art and some games for fun and a select few games for both?

Also, IMO, anyone who actively looks up video game information on the internet or in gaming magazines on a consistent basis is a core gamer. Anyone who doesn't, isn't. Yes, I'm saying well over 90% of gamers are casual on all platforms.

You are definitely not a hardcore gamer, naznatips. Considering all the things I know about your gaming habits, you just aren't one.

A core gamer, yes. But not hardcore.

Even though I finish every game I ever play?  And go for completionism in most of those (like all of the million challenges and unlockables in Brawl)?

How delightful, only two "not hardcore" criteria which actually apply to me are not met. And that's largely because I'd rather not trade games directly to a game store, since they'll usually only give store credit (and barely any at that). Plus, the Wii's damn fun. Yet I'm clearly not what they'd so happily label "casual", as well. Well, there goes the "you're either hardcore or you're casual" belief.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Apparantly Rol knows you better than you know yourself Naznatips. Tis a shame indeed.

And by this chart I'm definitely not a hardcore gamer.

Ah well, if that's what it takes to be a hardcore gamer, I don't want any part of it.

Can I be a Casualcore?

By Rol's rather excellent definition I am definately not hardcore, I wouldn't say I am core because I haven't gamed for long enough, but I am definately not casual (I think I have been on Mario Kart about 70 hours in the past 15 days)

Aha! Very nice indeed Rol!

Ah, excellent definition of today's "hardcore" gamers. It's something that I've been noticing as well. I still play video games to have fun. And I've been noticing that that's a dwindling reason for playing video games now-a-days. It's a shame too, as you see more gamers with a frown on their faces than a smile. What happened to the joy of gaming? Hm, joy isn't a word you hear about much anymore.

Nevertheless, excellent post Rol, happy VGC birthday TWRoO, and bah humbug... or something.

Edit: Can I also be called Casual-Core? Pretty catchy imo.