By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo is doing great- But they should really step up their act.

RolStoppable said:
kingofwale said:

I don't insult people, I insult games, and frankly, I ignore all those who try personal attack instead of sticking to the topic.

I'm going to say around 20% good games, and rest are shovelware. It's fine for gamers, who often goes online to check reviews before making their purchases, but for soccer moms buying it as gift?? Well, that is why I have garbages sitting at home with wrappers still on it.

I think Seal of Quality will be as useful as ESRB when it comes to non-gamer picking out games. It's really the last guideline to ensure that good games (niche or not) get rewarded while garbages stay where they belong.

What's that supposed to mean?

You own DS games? Someone bought you a game as a gift, but for a system you don't even own?

Or you own shovelware for systems you do own, the PSP and PS3? If that's the case, this isn't solely a Nintendo problem then.

And again, the Seal of Quality had not much to do with quality. It just showed that the game was officially licensed by Nintendo and had quality control to the extent that it hadn't bugs that made games unplayable. The games still could be crap.

yes, I have the misfortune of getting DS games I have absolutely no interest in even opening. I suspect it was picked out of discount area with other garbages games.

Funny how I don't remember I mentioned it was a "soley" a Nintendo problem.

*bolded part* sounds like some kinda of quality control, and that's good enough for me.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
Around the Network

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

kingofwale said:
RolStoppable said:
kingofwale said:

What's that supposed to mean?

You own DS games? Someone bought you a game as a gift, but for a system you don't even own?

Or you own shovelware for systems you do own, the PSP and PS3? If that's the case, this isn't solely a Nintendo problem then.

And again, the Seal of Quality had not much to do with quality. It just showed that the game was officially licensed by Nintendo and had quality control to the extent that it hadn't bugs that made games unplayable. The games still could be crap.

yes, I have the misfortune of getting DS games I have absolutely no interest in even opening. I suspect it was picked out of discount area with other garbages games.

Funny how I don't remember I mentioned it was a "soley" a Nintendo problem.

*bolded part* sounds like some kinda of quality control, and that's good enough for me.

If someone is giving you games for a system you don't have, then perhaps you should (politely) inform them that you can't use it. Alternatively, there's always ebay. Besides, if you don't have a DS, then there wouldn't be any DS games you're interested in opening, right?

As to RolStoppable's point, he did insert a qualifier in his statement: "If that's the case, this isn't solely a Nintendo problem then." Further discussion of his hypothetical, by him or you, is useless unless you tell us whether the condition has been met, i.e. "is there shovelware on the PSP or PS3?" If the answer is no, then your previous point about Nintendo needing quality control standards has some merit to it, assuming the lack thereof has proved to be a problem. As many of us have argued, that has not proven to be the case so far, so you still need to bring forth some data to convince us otherwise.

If the answer to that question is "yes", then we must ask whether Sony's lack of quality control standards has proven harmful to consumers, beginning with the original PlayStation, which is when they first loosened restrictions. Judging by the fact that millions of people purchased Playstations, Playstation 2s, Playstation 3s, and Playstation Portables, I would argue that the answer is a definite no, as they would not have repurchased another system if they were sufficiently scalded by the playstation family's avalanche of shovelware.

Recall also that by the terms of your own argument, those who check reviews do not include the "soccer moms" of the world. There is nothing to indicate that they checked reviews back then either. Therefore, since shovelware has not proven particularly harmful to Sony's products, and since there is nothing to indicate that it will prove to be more harmful to Nintendo's products, your argument must fall, unless you can offer some proof that the above statements are false. As they say in the Phoenix Wright games, "evidence is everything."

Finally, I believe Nintendo does still exercise the same amount of quality control over its products today that it did when the Seal of Approval existed. Nintendo's own factories are where all Wii and DS games are manufactured. They know whether or not the product boots, doesn't damage your system, etc. In other words, they're still using the same process they used to give games their Seal of Approval: they're just omitting to paste it on the cover of all their games now. As GlingGling pointed out earlier, it was only printed for public relations purposes. It is no longer needed. Therefore, it was allowed to die.

Edit: And I agree with vaio. That was deep.

Maybe someone seems to have forgotten, I have made this argument TONS of time. I own a DS, for more than 2 years now (first DS and now DSLite).

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:

I have commented on it tons of time that my favourite (and most underated) DS game is EBA, while Mario Kart is great. I also commented before on games such as Pokemon Diamond, FFXII and other RPGs

I don't believe I ever mentioned Mario Brother game, since I dislike 2D platformer. as for Zelda HG... HG stands for HourGlass. 

selnor
Episode 2:
Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
kingofwale said:

I have commented on it tons of time that my favourite (and most underated) DS game is EBA, while Mario Kart is great. I also commented before on games such as Pokemon Diamond, FFXII and other RPGs

I don't believe I ever mentioned Mario Brother game, since I dislike 2D platformer. as for Zelda HG... HG stands for HourGlass.

All this praising of DS games must have been lost somewhere between all the Nintendo bashing you like to do. But okay, you own a DS, fine.

You mentioned NSMB in a comparison of top 5 PSP and DS games on Gamerankings. The Zelda game is called "Phantom Hourglass", in short PH, not HG. When you listed the top 5 DS games you had spelled only 2 out of 5 correctly, even though you had just visited Gamerankings and read all these names. Let's be honest, you don't care that much for DS games, otherwise you wouldn't misspell so many titles. I know I am nitpicking here, but I just can't stand it when popular games are misspelled, like Soul Calibur (often mistakenly written Soul Caliber).

Mario Kart (sequel/port)
Castlevania (old series)
Advance War (old series)
Zelda HG (old series)
Super Mario brother (old series)

But let's not get distracted here. You still have to respond to the shovelware issue.

Well, I don't mind it, it's pretty obvious that you are more keen on any slight negative comments on DS games than praises.

clearly you seem to be associating "ownership" with "blind love" and frankly, "mis-spelling" to "care about DS games". Unlike you, my loyality of handheld games lies within games itself, which means you must excuse me again for any future bashing of shovelwares. 

selnor
Episode 2:

"80% of DS and Wii games are garbage" How funny, kingofwale, you just got banned and you didnt learn the lesson it seems.

I hope it isnt too long till u get banned again, you just hate Nintendo and its succes, sad.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

KOW why do you post on nintendo threads if you hate nintendo?

on topic: i think nintendo should support more 3rd party titles

like stated before.... It takes time to develop games. Every developer focused on the Xb360 and PS3 and they got their ass kicked by Nintendo now they need to add projects to the Wii just to keep up. Oh yeah the yearly EA series surely arrives but brand new projects just take more than a year to develop.

However Developers are taking the Wii more serious now. The Quantum3 engine are signs that prove it.

Predictions
I will win the internetz
11ht11 said:
KOW why do you post on nintendo threads if you hate nintendo?

on topic: i think nintendo should support more 3rd party titles

Because just because I don't hate Nintendo? Feel free to disagree with me with actual proof.

What I do hate, is trash that seems to be always hanging around gaming industry. It was MUCH worse back in the 80s, seemed to died down a bit in the late 90s and now it seems to be creeping up again. 

selnor
Episode 2: