By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - how long will the 360 life last for?

They wont kill it off like they killed the original xbox. Microsoft were forced to kill the xbox. I believe it'll last a few years longer then the original xbox and then be supported for a year or two after the launch of the next xbox.

Around the Network
starcraft said:
Microsoft may have another console out by late 2010 or early 2011, but the 360's life will push on past that, probably to 2012. They are desperately trying to profit off it.

Yes. That is by far the most likely scenario.

FaRmLaNd said:
They wont kill it off like they killed the original xbox. Microsoft were forced to kill the xbox. I believe it'll last a few years longer then the original xbox and then be supported for a year or two after the launch of the next xbox.

Wasn't MS forced to kill off the original Xbox due to GPU disputes?

The earliest possibility for the X720 or whatever, is November 2010.

However, as others have said - with MS trying to remain profitable, and actual, official quotes, Microsoft will probably release their next system in 2011, and attempt to keep the X360 a viable gaming system for another 1-2 years ala PS2, giving time for owners to transition, and attempting to leverage the last of the 360 games to ensure the 360 was actually profitable.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

crumas2 - Yes, the Xbox was killed mainly due to GPU issues with the manufacturer - MS was paying at-market prices for the GPUs, and the Xbox likely was never made for a profit (the actual system never made them a dime)...Not a good thing.

Whereas the 360, as far as we've seen, has been making MS, system-alone for *probably* a year now. Big difference when you work to make your own internal components rather than buy everything and throw it together like what the Xbox was.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

Im guessing somewhere between 2010 or 2011

All of them will last until tomorrow.....then they will see a light which signals death. But not the white light that brings you to heaven. No, it will be red light. And 3 of them will be flashing lol