By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GTA IV Review up on IGN 10/10

rocketpig said:
"The story is Oscar quality."

Am I the only one who giggled when they read this?

I'm having a tough time swallowing the rest of the review after that line.

I know. Call me jaded, call me a cynic, but I'm sure this story will underwhelm me. I've read lots of babble how deep, realistic the characters are, how well though out the plot is.....
Just sounds like a well-written book to me. I'm sure it's a great story, but I'm equally sure it will be full of cliches, predicatble twists, and convention aplenty.

On topic. I'm more pumped than ever about this game. Though I (almost) wish that they'd wait a little longer to put up a review of a game of this scope. Just to allow time to let the whole experience settle and sink in, and not score it on the initial 'wow' factor.

Not that it would surprise me if it is 10/10 material. I'm just, like a said, a cynic.

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

Around the Network

You know it's getting bad when people pretty much don't want themselves to like the game.

Just buy the game if you enjoyed the series and go in for the ride.

ssj12 said:
BCNR34 said:
ClaudeLv250 said:
ssj12 said:
ClaudeLv250 said:
TheRealMafoo said:
ClaudeLv250 said:
10/10?

Bullshiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

Cool, this means you must have played it (otherwise you would have no clue if it's BS).

So tell us all, how is it!? ;)

No, it means it smells like bullshit. Do you want a whiff? I mean your panties are getting tied so tightly over what was said, I figured you might want to apply some actual context to it. Please, give us heathens not jumpng into the 10/10 lap with our asses spread a reason. I'm listening.

zing

Fail.

Kazing?

jsut because you are jealous that your favorite games will never get scores like this doesnt mean that you should have an epiphany over it.

"jsut" because you're a terrible mod doesn't mean you have to act like a 2-bit troll. Whatever cheap shot you were making at Star Ocean (I'm assuming) doesn't make sense seeing as my gamin purchases and tastes don't revolve around other people's opinions, something I'm quickly learning can't be applied to everyone in this thread. I'd also suggest learning what an epiphany is. I heard dictionary.com works wonders.

I don't know what's worse. That 10/10s are pouring out for a franchise that has never been at a 10/10 level, or that people are actually getting angry because I'm not blindly buying these reviews.

banworthy.

Oh no, I'm feeling nice today. And I know what an epiphany is

Epiphany: a sudden, intuitive perception of or insight into the reality or essential meaning of something, usually initiated by some simple, homely, or commonplace occurrence or experience.

or

a literary work or section of a work presenting, usually symbolically, such a moment of revelation and insight.

So basically I used the word as a symbol to signify that you believed your insight and beliefs are better then anyone elses.

Why don't learn how to speak in a figurative style before you deside to stick your personal insight on what someone says is wrong if or when you are actually wrong.

Zing!

SSJ12, coming from a neutral ''proper use of language the English language Nazi" stand point...You did not use epiphany in the right context. Whatsoever. "Figurative style" or not, from a purely academic perspective, Claude was completely in the right.

I'm not touching your cheapshot against Star Ocean or his low-blow "cheap mod'' card he pulled, just the literary part of the argument.

And to reiterate that: you're wrong. Next time, just admit it. It makes you seem a lot more genial.

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

blaydcor said:
ssj12 said:
BCNR34 said:
ClaudeLv250 said:
ssj12 said:
ClaudeLv250 said:
TheRealMafoo said:
ClaudeLv250 said:
10/10?

Bullshiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

Cool, this means you must have played it (otherwise you would have no clue if it's BS).

So tell us all, how is it!? ;)

No, it means it smells like bullshit. Do you want a whiff? I mean your panties are getting tied so tightly over what was said, I figured you might want to apply some actual context to it. Please, give us heathens not jumpng into the 10/10 lap with our asses spread a reason. I'm listening.

zing

Fail.

Kazing?

jsut because you are jealous that your favorite games will never get scores like this doesnt mean that you should have an epiphany over it.

"jsut" because you're a terrible mod doesn't mean you have to act like a 2-bit troll. Whatever cheap shot you were making at Star Ocean (I'm assuming) doesn't make sense seeing as my gamin purchases and tastes don't revolve around other people's opinions, something I'm quickly learning can't be applied to everyone in this thread. I'd also suggest learning what an epiphany is. I heard dictionary.com works wonders.

I don't know what's worse. That 10/10s are pouring out for a franchise that has never been at a 10/10 level, or that people are actually getting angry because I'm not blindly buying these reviews.

banworthy.

Oh no, I'm feeling nice today. And I know what an epiphany is

Epiphany: a sudden, intuitive perception of or insight into the reality or essential meaning of something, usually initiated by some simple, homely, or commonplace occurrence or experience.

or

a literary work or section of a work presenting, usually symbolically, such a moment of revelation and insight.

So basically I used the word as a symbol to signify that you believed your insight and beliefs are better then anyone elses.

Why don't learn how to speak in a figurative style before you deside to stick your personal insight on what someone says is wrong if or when you are actually wrong.

Zing!

SSJ12, coming from a neutral ''proper use of language the English language Nazi" stand point...You did not use epiphany in the right context. Whatsoever. "Figurative style" or not, from a purely academic perspective, Claude was completely in the right.

I'm not touching your cheapshot against Star Ocean or his low-blow "cheap mod'' card he pulled, just the literary part of the argument.

And to reiterate that: you're wrong. Next time, just admit it. It makes you seem a lot more genial.

I like Star Ocean, so what cheap shot, and why is it that I have seen and heard epiphany used many times like that? Unless there is another spelling of the word I'm not thinking of.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

ssj12 said:
blaydcor said:

I like Star Ocean, so what cheap shot, and why is it that I have seen and heard epiphany used many times like that? Unless there is another spelling of the word I'm not thinking of.

You presented your dislike for Star Ocean (or his favorite games, whatever. Still attacking his preferences) in a confrontational/antagonistic manner. And if you've seen epiphany used like that (outside of forums, where poor grammar abounds), either you're mistaken, or you're remembering a similar word. To put it in layman terms, an epiphany is an "Eureka! Ah ha! I've got it" kind of moment.

Around the Network
blaydcor said:
ssj12 said:
blaydcor said:

You presented your dislike for Star Ocean in a confrontational/antagonistic manner. And if you've seen epiphany used like that (outside of forums, where poor grammar abounds), either you're mistaken, or you're remembering a similar word. To put it in layman terms, an epiphany is an "Eureka! Ah ha! I've got it" kind of moment.

actually i was taking a shot at him trying to rub his opinions in our faces, not attack his likes of Star Ocean.

edit:

Wait a second, I did use it right as a sarcastic statement. I told him he should have a celebration due to him being jealous I thought I used it how I wanted.

Edit 2: Ya, you just ran me around making me think I was wrong when actually I did use it properly and how I wanted. =P

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please

Be interesting to see how this goes - I don't agree with giving it 10's if there are "obvious technical" issues - a 9.9 or 9.8 maybe.

I was pretty shocked with the high scores that San Andreas got for instance. After playing the game for 30 min, I concluded that *every* game "system" from a technical viewpoint was "broken". And this was a 9.8 title (from memory). I wasn't impressed.

Be interesting to see how the spread of reviews go for sure.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

ssj12 said:
blaydcor said:
ssj12 said:
blaydcor said:

You presented your dislike for Star Ocean in a confrontational/antagonistic manner. And if you've seen epiphany used like that (outside of forums, where poor grammar abounds), either you're mistaken, or you're remembering a similar word. To put it in layman terms, an epiphany is an "Eureka! Ah ha! I've got it" kind of moment.

actually i was taking a shot at him trying to rub his opinions in our faces, not attack his likes of Star Ocean.

edit:

Wait a second, I did use it right as a sarcastic statement. I told him he should have a celebration due to him being jealous I thought I used it how I wanted.

Again, I'm not trying to be confronational. Just pointing out that (1) Claude was right about epiphany and (2) he percieved your sarcasm as an attack on his games. So you unintentionally antagonized him. A 30 day ban for that seems a little (very) harsh.

blaydcor said:
ssj12 said:
blaydcor said:
ssj12 said:
blaydcor said:

edit:

Again, I'm not trying to be confronational. Just pointing out that (1) Claude was right about epiphany and (2) he percieved your sarcasm as an attack on his games. So you unintentionally antagonized him. A 30 day ban for that seems a little (very) harsh.

I explained reasoning for the ban on his wall, read it. 

Now we are holding up this topic so please let this debate end so the topic can get back on track, thank you.

ssj12 said:
blaydcor said:
ssj12 said:
blaydcor said:
ssj12 said:
blaydcor said:

edit:

I explained reasoning for the ban on his wall, read it.

Now we are holding up this topic so please let this debate end so the topic can get back on track, thank you.

In the face of your irrefutable ban-logic on his wall, and in the interests of keeping this thriving thread on track, I humbly bow my head and fall silent. Thread, continue.