By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GTA IV Review up on IGN 10/10

Heh, well I've never been a fan of the franchise. Chances are any score higher than a 7 would have been too high for me, but yeah, 10s are like cheap hookers these days so I'm not sure why anyone is surprised or freaking out.

Personally, my game of the generation is already out. Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Taking that out of the equation, my game of the year is looking like it could be The World Ends With You which doesn't even have a 9 average on Gamerankings. Other contenders are Starcraft 2 (which I'm sure will be slammed for not changing everything from the first game) and Left 4 Dead.

I'm glad GTAIV is what fans of the other games want, but that also means that the people who were bothered by the issues in the first games are still going to be bothered by them in this one.

Around the Network

I think the problem is that people don't understand the whole 10/10 score. Ten out of ten is not a finite point. Not a score only one game will ever achieve. It's a moving target. Pong, when it first came out was a 10/10 game. It pushed boundaries, it was the first of it's kind, and offered fun to anyone who hopped on the joystick to play it, but judged by today's standards, the game would be luck enough to garner a 1/10.

Just because GTA IV got a 10/10, it doesn't make it better than Super Mario Galaxy, or Zelda: Ocarina of Time, but it means that this game has hit the 'moving target' of 10/10. The game may not hold up in time, as well as Zelda: OoT has, but it's (apparently) an awesome game, that cannot be missed by anyone.

Just my $0.02

im not surprised by this i predicted they would give it a 10

ill get the 360 version for achievements and DLC and most of my friends only have a 360 so thats where they will all be playing online.

I hate how this game became a flame war between 360 and ps3 owners lets just love the game and have fun. the differences are minor

DMeisterJ said:
I think the problem is that people don't understand the whole 10/10 score. Ten out of ten is not a finite point. Not a score only one game will ever achieve. It's a moving target. Pong, when it first came out was a 10/10 game. It pushed boundaries, it was the first of it's kind, and offered fun to anyone who hopped on the joystick to play it, but judged by today's standards, the game would be luck enough to garner a 1/10.

Just because GTA IV got a 10/10, it doesn't make it better than Super Mario Galaxy, or Zelda: Ocarina of Time, but it means that this game has hit the 'moving target' of 10/10. The game may not hold up in time, as well as Zelda: OoT has, but it's (apparently) an awesome game, that cannot be missed by anyone.

Just my $0.02

excellent pontificating.

BCNR34 said:
ClaudeLv250 said:
ssj12 said:
ClaudeLv250 said:
TheRealMafoo said:
ClaudeLv250 said:
10/10?

Bullshiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

Cool, this means you must have played it (otherwise you would have no clue if it's BS).

So tell us all, how is it!? ;)

No, it means it smells like bullshit. Do you want a whiff? I mean your panties are getting tied so tightly over what was said, I figured you might want to apply some actual context to it. Please, give us heathens not jumpng into the 10/10 lap with our asses spread a reason. I'm listening.

zing

Fail.

Kazing?

jsut because you are jealous that your favorite games will never get scores like this doesnt mean that you should have an epiphany over it.

"jsut" because you're a terrible mod doesn't mean you have to act like a 2-bit troll. Whatever cheap shot you were making at Star Ocean (I'm assuming) doesn't make sense seeing as my gamin purchases and tastes don't revolve around other people's opinions, something I'm quickly learning can't be applied to everyone in this thread. I'd also suggest learning what an epiphany is. I heard dictionary.com works wonders.

I don't know what's worse. That 10/10s are pouring out for a franchise that has never been at a 10/10 level, or that people are actually getting angry because I'm not blindly buying these reviews.

banworthy.

Oh no, I'm feeling nice today. And I know what an epiphany is

Epiphany: a sudden, intuitive perception of or insight into the reality or essential meaning of something, usually initiated by some simple, homely, or commonplace occurrence or experience. 

or

a literary work or section of a work presenting, usually symbolically, such a moment of revelation and insight. 

So basically I used the word as a symbol to signify that you believed your insight and beliefs are better then anyone elses.

Why don't learn how to speak in a figurative style before you deside to stick your personal insight on what someone says is wrong if or when you are actually wrong.

Zing!

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

found this on neogaf http://gamingtoldstraight.blogspot.com/

heh.. this should get interesting

DMeisterJ said:

Just my $0.02

I don't think the issue is that people think one 10 game is better than the other. I think it's beause people feel that 10 is on the scale but should not actually be physically acheivable. I don't really hold to this thought process but even I didn't think IGN would be giving something all 10s. It just feels wrong. The explanations don't help either. Oscar worthy dialogue? This types of scores and praises are something I'd expact MGS4 to get because that falls in line with how people generally percieve Metal Gear. But Grand Theft Auto? That type of description just doesn't fall in line with the franchise's history. It doesn't sound like the same game even though it looks like.

And where's the anti-10 brigade? Doesn't Riot usually lead them?

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

BCNR34 said:
DMeisterJ said:

Just my $0.02

excellent pontificating.

Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. 

naznatips said:
BCNR34 said:
DMeisterJ said:

Just my $0.02

excellent pontificating.

Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

idk, he sounds like the pope to me.

ClaudeLv250 said:
DMeisterJ said:

Just my $0.02

I don't think the issue is that people think one 10 game is better than the other. I think it's beause people feel that 10 is on the scale but should not actually be physically acheivable. I don't really hold to this thought process but even I didn't think IGN would be giving something all 10s. It just feels wrong. The explanations don't help either. Oscar worthy dialogue? This types of scores and praises are something I'd expact MGS4 to get because that falls in line with how people generally percieve Metal Gear. But Grand Theft Auto? That type of description just doesn't fall in line with the franchise's history. It doesn't sound like the same game even though it looks like.

And where's the anti-10 brigade? Doesn't Riot usually lead them?

Riot is b-b-b-b-banned until tomorrow.

OT:

The fact of the matter is that we can't judge the reviewer(s) or the game until we play it.  There hasn't even been any in-game footage aside from shoddy YouTube offerings to have a good look at it.  Once Tuesday hits, then we can talk about how wrong IGN and every other review site is, but until that point, we have to just take IGN's word for it.  

All we're doing right now is speculating that it's not a good game, and it only got it's 10/10 based on hype, when no one's played it.  Let's just play the wait and see game.