By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Metaphor: ReFantazio Prologue Demo is available now for Xbox Series, PS4, PS5 and PC

Tagged games:

epicurean said:

I haven't followed everything on this one but figured I would buy it when it came out or shortly after. Do you still capture monsters/demons/etc like in the other Atlus games, and if so, do they at least have some new designs? Its gotten old capturing the exact same enemies over the last, like....5 games.

I'll put a tag with spoiler, so you can read below:

Spoiler!
You dont capture like Persona ou SMT, you unlock classes when you make a bond with some characters (you can hangout with other characters like Persona). Every class have a different form that you can transform, and every class have certain skills, weakness, weapons and specialization. In the demo you unlock your original class, Mage, Warrior, Knight and Healer. You can evolve your class when you reach certain lvl with the class, example: the original class you need to reach lvl 20 and spend 8000 mage points. You need to play to see but i really liked it.

(=^・ω・^=) Kuroneko S2 - Ore no Imouto - SteamMyAnimeList and Twitter - PSN: Gustavo_Valim - Switch FC: 6390-8693-0129 (=^・ω・^=)
Around the Network
Shikamo said:
epicurean said:

I haven't followed everything on this one but figured I would buy it when it came out or shortly after. Do you still capture monsters/demons/etc like in the other Atlus games, and if so, do they at least have some new designs? Its gotten old capturing the exact same enemies over the last, like....5 games.

I'll put a tag with spoiler, so you can read below:

Spoiler!
You dont capture like Persona ou SMT, you unlock classes when you make a bond with some characters (you can hangout with other characters like Persona). Every class have a different form that you can transform, and every class have certain skills, weakness, weapons and specialization. In the demo you unlock your original class, Mage, Warrior, Knight and Healer. You can evolve your class when you reach certain lvl with the class, example: the original class you need to reach lvl 20 and spend 8000 mage points. You need to play to see but i really liked it.

That sounds more like design choices I like better. Thanks for the added context.

Owner of PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Switch, PS Vita, and 3DS

Idk. Despite the flaws the game is objectively great, the vibe is on point, combat and dungeon experience is fantastic, everything is top tier and the evolution I wanted from these types of games, it's almost everything I asked for apart from more mature MC's. I know it'll score 90+ Opencritic and fans will love it but I just can't vibe with it for some reason. I can't put my finger on it, it's like when I first seen the amazingly styled city and buildings covered in aliasing...the whole demo feels like that. Like you know it is fantastic but there is aliasing all over covering it up and you can't quite get to the amazing experience that is under that. Idk if I'll be buying. Perhaps I'm not in the headspace for it and it's a me problem cause I know this will be a critical success. Perhaps it just takes another two hours to get hooked, idk. 

There's places in the city where frame-rate drops to around 60 on Ryzen 5600X and RTX 3070 at 1440p, hope they fix performance before release! In the desert area I was getting almost 200 fps.

4 hours played

Gameplay is an evolution of Persona, with better tactics and press combat from SMT. I like the fact we don't capture demons here. It's a mechanic from SMT that always bores me fast (specially because of the negotiation mechanics which are terrible)

It's a game that understands how boring is grinding and losing time fighting weak enemies, QoL to quickly dispatch them Iist a great plus

Archetypes are a good replace for Personas. I enjoyed the fact they kept the social links and the bonus that came from it

Dungeon design is alright, let's see if it they can match PS5

I love character models and art design, but the graphics are ugly. Specially in the backgrounds. They have the same problem of Tales of Arise, if those games were released in PS3 with lower resolution they backgrounds would bother me, but in a 4k TV in a PS5 the aliasing become too apparent and distracting. They could have tried less realistic approach and tried more simple models, but alas it is how it is

History is far and away the most interesting thing Atlus ever did. I'm really curious to see how it will unfold

I really HATE Isekais, but amount of detail in the world building is insane. I've lost a huge amount of time reading everything I could in the compendium. The detail of subraces and their traits are the most interesting detail of this new world. I'm sold for this game because I want to know more about this world

Party members so far are pretty bad, which is not good for an JRPG amount developing bonds. Need more time to digest them. Voice acting in Japanese is top tier

Music is great, menus could be a bit more clean. They overdesigned UI elements that could have been simpler

Really curious for this game. I'm a huge Persona fan, and don't like SMT except by the combat which is more tactical than Persona. This game seems to be getting the best of the 2 games and adding layers in story and worldbulding

If they manage to fix the boring amount of fillers and time wasters from Persona 4 and 5 game loop this game has a shot to be Atlus bests yet. Now I can only convince myself to buy it knowing I'll need to spend 70 USD again on its definitive edition jeez

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:

4 hours played

Gameplay is an evolution of Persona, with better tactics and press combat from SMT. I like the fact we don't capture demons here. It's a mechanic from SMT that always bores me fast (specially because of the negotiation mechanics which are terrible)

It's a game that understands how boring is grinding and losing time fighting weak enemies, QoL to quickly dispatch them Iist a great plus

Archetypes are a good replace for Personas. I enjoyed the fact they kept the social links and the bonus that came from it

Dungeon design is alright, let's see if it they can match PS5

I love character models and art design, but the graphics are ugly. Specially in the backgrounds. They have the same problem of Tales of Arise, if those games were released in PS3 with lower resolution they backgrounds would bother me, but in a 4k TV in a PS5 the aliasing become too apparent and distracting. They could have tried less realistic approach and tried more simple models, but alas it is how it is

History is far and away the most interesting thing Atlus ever did. I'm really curious to see how it will unfold

I really HATE Isekais, but amount of detail in the world building is insane. I've lost a huge amount of time reading everything I could in the compendium. The detail of subraces and their traits are the most interesting detail of this new world. I'm sold for this game because I want to know more about this world

Party members so far are pretty bad, which is not good for an JRPG amount developing bonds. Need more time to digest them. Voice acting in Japanese is top tier

Music is great, menus could be a bit more clean. They overdesigned UI elements that could have been simpler

Really curious for this game. I'm a huge Persona fan, and don't like SMT except by the combat which is more tactical than Persona. This game seems to be getting the best of the 2 games and adding layers in story and worldbulding

If they manage to fix the boring amount of fillers and time wasters from Persona 4 and 5 game loop this game has a shot to be Atlus bests yet. Now I can only convince myself to buy it knowing I'll need to spend 70 USD again on its definitive edition jeez

That's why I'll buy the standard version, because in 1.5-2 years Atlus will launch a better version.

(=^・ω・^=) Kuroneko S2 - Ore no Imouto - SteamMyAnimeList and Twitter - PSN: Gustavo_Valim - Switch FC: 6390-8693-0129 (=^・ω・^=)

Much prefer SMT over Persona tho I like Persona. A friend gave my Raidu on PS2 sealed today. One thing I hope Metaphor does not do is tie storywise into either one. A Jack Frost cameo is fine. References are fine. Just please keep it separate.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I only prefer SMT combat, Persona 3 features terrible not controllable party, an abomination so many JRPGs tried during the 2000s. Persona 4 fixed this but came with a dumbed down version of P3 combat. PS5 added complexity layers and subsystems to make combat more interesting and less predictable than 4 and are genuinely fun to play if you go on Hard

One thing bothers me a lot in Persona is how only your MC is a wildcard and everyone else has a very clear role that you can't strain away. More like RPGs for dummies. SMT is much more cool with all demons being fully customizable, and having a huge number of demons can make you approach combat differently, this allows a simple set of mechanics turn into a very deep and varied system and the game is so unforgiven that you NEED to make use of it. Probably the best turn based combat we have atm

I hope they don't follow P4 missteps and make status effects and buffs/debuffs not only viable but essential. P4 combat was so dumb, spam AoE, get one more, dizzy your oponents and repeat. P3R was much better making non combat skills useful

P3R was nice because it added a more varied set of roles for each member of your party (specially because all them have different set non offensive skills such as buffs, debuffs, healing or effect status skills), so testing combinations and seeing how to tackle sessions of tartarus was fun, but after some time you could figure the Meta for each member and then it was just a matter of repeat. Since the game is no actually THAT long it didn't bother me

Now, seems like Metaphor will allow Archetypes to have branching class progression and they will not be fixed to any party member. This have potential to be their best combat system so far, as long they design good enemies, skills and fights

I went to TGS looking for some free Metaphor merch, in the end I had to buy a T-Shirt. I didn't feel like lining up for an hour to play the game for 10 minutes due to the existence of the demo. But yeah, some cool stuff was shown like the music and the VA/actors.

Finished the demo in slightly over 10 hours

I think I'm sold, I want to carry my save over the complete game. Probably going to preorder, usually don't do that but after a 10 hours long demo I don't think anything about the game will change my opinion