By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Metaphor: ReFantazio Prologue Demo is available now for Xbox Series, PS4, PS5 and PC

Tagged games:

Xxain said:

Interested in opinions about the game (Please lets not have it watered down to just graphics.). Wont play the demo myself because I hate RPG demo's.

I dont have problem with graphics in general, the game looks exactly the same as Persona 5, but the lack of Anti-Aliasing really annoyed me.

(=^・ω・^=) Kuroneko S2 - Ore no Imouto - SteamMyAnimeList and Twitter - PSN: Gustavo_Valim - Switch FC: 6390-8693-0129 (=^・ω・^=)
Around the Network

Holy hell. 27 gigs. Wtf.

First impressions after more than two hours

The good

• English VA is great
  • Voiced protagonist
  • Persona 5 like combat
  • Weaker/stronger enemy system is brilliant to avoid tedium
  • Great stylization (albeit a bit over stylized in the menu with things flickering) World looks great though
  • Animation cutscenes are fantastic
  • They thanked me for trying out the demo
  • An air of mystery
  • Auto dialogue is quick and feels natural
  • Music is great 

The bad

• No HDR (shame cause the game would pop even more)
  • Alisising in a modern title this bad has no excuse, it's atrocious and terribly distracting. Almost sickening. 
  • Everything has an emporhus style where nothing is static, not even the menus and it's cool for ten minutes then gets super annoying 
  • They are presenting the story as if you're supposed to know what's going on, like you know the world already. Not cool. 
  • Death means nothing, just spawn a few steps back
  • Going from scene to scene feels not very cohesive so far

I can tell why people are underwhelmed by this demo already, we are in the tutorial phase of a game from a studio whose games usually take over ten hours to get going. Also, the aliasing is super terrible, it's such a stain on what is such a pretty world underneath it. Really hard to look past and enjoy the beautiful buildings. Lots of texture pop in and just graphical glitches (I'm on ps4 pro but this game isn't a graphical powerhouse) and the story doesn't feel cohesive at all, there's a cutscene then loading, small scene then loading screen. And it's all broken up terribly. I should be upgrading to the PS5 during my playthrough of this so it'll be interesting to see if an ssd fixes that but right now it feels archaic.

Hoping some of the bad gets over ridden by good. I really wanna like this one but man, that aliasing is hard to look past. 😪 

Last edited by LegitHyperbole - on 26 September 2024

Anyone playing on 9th Gen/PC having this bad of aliasing?

LegitHyperbole said:

I had, and I played at 1440p with 150% resolution scale. Maybe Atlus or the modders will resolve this in the launch.

(=^・ω・^=) Kuroneko S2 - Ore no Imouto - SteamMyAnimeList and Twitter - PSN: Gustavo_Valim - Switch FC: 6390-8693-0129 (=^・ω・^=)
Around the Network
Shikamo said:
LegitHyperbole said:

I had, and I played at 1440p with 150% resolution scale. Maybe Atlus or the modders will resolve this in the launch.

Damn. Probably on ps5 too. It ruins the art style at a distance but at least the characters and dungeons (the first one anyway) are fine. Just a pity about that first city, I really wanted to enjoy the epic art style but it's under all that jank. 

Say what I said in the Sony thread.

Leynos said:

Metaphor is mostly Persona 5 again but in a new setting. I like it. The enemies inspired by Hieronymus Bosch's paintings are interesting. Combat is a merge of press turn from SMT and P5. The art is great. Technically, it doesn't look the best and still uses the Persona 5 engine when SMTV uses UE4. I love the music. It's different for Atlus but it's bombastic. Odd and operatic all mixed together. Really excited for this to come out.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

LegitHyperbole said:
Shikamo said:

Damn. Probably on ps5 too. It ruins the art style at a distance but at least the characters and dungeons (the first one anyway) are fine. Just a pity about that first city, I really wanted to enjoy the epic art style but it's under all that jank. 

Just wait for the final release. I played 7 hrs yesterday and maybe I'll create a New game when the game launch

Shikamo said:
LegitHyperbole said:

Just wait for the final release. I played 7 hrs yesterday and maybe I'll create a New game when the game launch

It's not gonna be fixed for us console players, we're stuck with it. The games gone gold and there's no patch that'll effect that since it's on all consoles even 9th gen and PC too. Modders will sort it on PC surely but we're stuck with it on console. A real shame, there is beautiful art underneath it. Fingers crossed they implement HDR with a patch though, that'd help make up for it and if things are more vibrant and luminous it might help hide it a bit. 

Leynos said:

Say what I said in the Sony thread.

Leynos said:

Metaphor is mostly Persona 5 again but in a new setting. I like it. The enemies inspired by Hieronymus Bosch's paintings are interesting. Combat is a merge of press turn from SMT and P5. The art is great. Technically, it doesn't look the best and still uses the Persona 5 engine when SMTV uses UE4. I love the music. It's different for Atlus but it's bombastic. Odd and operatic all mixed together. Really excited for this to come out.

Does SMTV suffer the same aliasing issues? I don't remember Persona 5 being this bad but I suppose the areas were more compressed.