By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Ps5 disc or P5 digital

I have the opportunity to get my first PlayStation console since the ps3. 
I have the option of the original PS5 disc or digital console.

I currently have an X and I do use game pass quite a bit. I don’t really purchase physical games anymore but I like the option to be able to purchase second hand games. But the price point of the digital is attractive to me. 

I’d love to hear people’s thoughts on it.

Around the Network

Get the PS5 Slim Digital. Then if you want to play physical games later, you can get the disc drive add on for it.

KLXVER said:

Get the PS5 Slim Digital. Then if you want to play physical games later, you can get the disc drive add on for it.

He only mentioned the originals. I think they are cheaper or he just likes them more than the slims. Anyway if the digital is $100 cheaper than the disc then you should get the digital 

Pinkie_pie said:
KLXVER said:

He only mentioned the originals. I think they are cheaper or he just likes them more than the slims. Anyway if the digital is $100 cheaper than the disc then you should get the digital 

Likely op meant not the Pro, which was my assumption too. 

But yeah, make they do mean first gen release.

Yassgragra said:

I have the opportunity to get my first PlayStation console since the ps3. 
I have the option of the original PS5 disc or digital console.

I currently have an X and I do use game pass quite a bit. I don’t really purchase physical games anymore but I like the option to be able to purchase second hand games. But the price point of the digital is attractive to me. 

I’d love to hear people’s thoughts on it.

Definitely get the disc version. You can start buying cheap used PS4 and PS5 games on discs and watch Blu-Rays.

Around the Network

Physical. More options. And a lot of PS4/PS5 games on disc on deep discounts or used by now.

Last edited by Leynos - on 19 September 2024

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

A used or brand new PS5 disc version is the best course, or at least a current Digital that you can buy and add a drive to later. There is no reason to get the original Digital at all anymore unless it's far cheaper than any other PS5 model you can find.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 161 million (was 73 million, then 96 million, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million, then 156 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

If you have a store nearby with second hand games, definitely get the disc version. There are lots of great PS4 games that all run flawlessly on PS5, especially the ones enhanced for PS4 Pro. They should be cheap 2nd hand in store now, they are at my local store. There are plenty used PS5 games as well.

Games have to be installed to play, might as well go digital. I'm speculating but I don't see the ps6 supporting disks... not sure I would bother building a physical collection.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

twintail said:
Pinkie_pie said:

Likely op meant not the Pro, which was my assumption too. 

But yeah, make they do mean first gen release.

I’m getting it through my local telco and they only have the OGs. So slims not an option. :(