Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ubisoft: Tencent, Guillemot Family Weighing Buyout

Assassin Creed Shadows will...

Succeed 16 29.63%

Fail 19 35.19%

Sell well but fail to meet expectations 16 29.63%

Other.. 3 5.56%

Total:54
G2ThaUNiT said:

Danger of getting bought out maybe. For having 20,000 employees, they have little money compared to other major publishers.

Investors want the CEO out and the company taken private. They are very unhappy it seems. Watching video where a hostile take over is being discussed right now. 

Around the Network

This should be noted AAA publishers. Sony and MS do this esp. A lot of new hires are only temp. 18-month contracts then let go. This has become common. So we have layoffs on top of contracts expiring. Unless high ranking a lot of people are not hired to be 5-10 year workers. In game development terms it's a long summer job but not a career move.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:

This should be noted AAA publishers. Sony and MS do this esp. A lot of new hires are only temp. 18-month contracts then let go. This has become common. So we have layoffs on top of contracts expiring. Unless high ranking a lot of people are not hired to be 5-10 year workers. In game development terms it's a long summer job but not a career move.

This just makes the regular game dev environment not worth it, because desiring a long-term, secure career just isn't in the cards with execs and shareholders running the game from above.

The more it carries on, the more likely we'll see talent going elsewhere or just stopping entirely, but it's not like some folks on here care, Ubi's super "healthy", despite internal strife and their stock market value, their general public image and all that jazz.

Last edited by Chazore - on 16 September 2024

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:
Leynos said:

This just makes the regular game dev environment not worth it, because desiring a long-term, secure career just isn't in the cards with execs and shareholders running the game from above.

The more it carries on, the more likely we'll see talent going elsewhere or just stopping entirely, but it's not like some folks on here care, Ubi's super "healthy", despite internal strife and their stock market value, their general public image and all that jazz.

Which is why I ask, What's the incentive to try and make something good? To try and innovate? Good or bad job. Good or bad game. You're fired either way. Hell studio shut down either way in some cases. Visions of Mana devs did not even get to enjoy the fruits of their labor as they were shut down the day of release.

Leynos said:
Chazore said:

Which is why I ask, What's the incentive to try and make something good? To try and innovate? Good or bad job. Good or bad game. You're fired either way. Hell studio shut down either way in some cases. Visions of Mana devs did not even get to enjoy the fruits of their labor as they were shut down the day of release.

...what. Why wasn't this major news. The Day of release. Wtf. 

Around the Network
LegitHyperbole said:
Leynos said:

Financially? No.

Lay offs?

PlayStation laid off people when making record profits. The correlation between profitability and layoffs is on the lower side. Lay off happens when companies expect the market to either not grow or shrink. Layoffs sometimes are a last ditch effort, but since they delay the product it's often counterproductive.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

LegitHyperbole said:
Leynos said:

It was. Posted on this website.

They can be happy to have at least R6 to rake in some decent money every year with all the flops (compared to the expectations) they've released.

Leynos said:
LegitHyperbole said:

It was. Posted on this website.

That's real fucked up. Downloading the demo now, has 3000 five star reviews on PSN, that's rare. Must be good. 

People I the poll are mad, Ghost of Tsushima quenched the Ass Creed Japan thirst and Mirage sold badly and Ubisoft open world fatigue is real. It's not an automatic success story and is very precariously perched. I realise now I should have put a poll option where it sells to average affair.