By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What will be the price of Switch 2?

I believe the price will be almost the same as a steam deck, the hardware of the new switch should be as strong or stronger than that of steam. Let's remember that the hardware has to last another 7 or 8 years so it can't be that weak

Around the Network

$399. I can't imagine they'd go over that. I had been thinking perhaps as low as $350, cuz I figured they'd knock Switch down to like $150/low-$200/high-$200 before next gen launched but now it seems unlikely they are going to do anything to Switch pricing so there's no way they bring next gen out at the same price as the OLED.

Switch was rumored to have cost like $260ish to produce at launch, I'm guessing Switch 2 hardware won't cost more than $100 more than that, so at $399 they'd be making a nice profit on every system sold.

It'd be a huge mistake for them to go over $400, since they always come out with affordable systems and $399 would really pushing that idea of affordability already, and I can't see any reason they would cram so much tech into the system that would force them to go above $399.

I think the people saying it could be $450-$500 are getting a little bit warped just because Nintendo never dropped the price of the Switch. They are definitely making profit hand over fist with all models of the Switch and have been for years. After 7 years the Switch is no doubt wayyy cheaper to produce than it was when it launched, if these were the days of old when the hardware makers competed with competitive price cuts the hybrid Switch would probably be selling at $200. Only reason they haven't dropped the price is because they didn't need to because it was so dang popular. Also it's not 2022 anymore, the world isn't in a severe chip shortage. And they aren't going to release some large Steam Deck-like monstrosity with barely any battery life that is barely even handheld. They are going to go with something in an affordable range that is powerful FOR A PORTABLE SYSTEM. It'd be crazy for them to launch over $400.

Everyone is basically expecting S2 to be able to output performance perhaps a bit better than PS4, but don't forget that system is super old now and with advanced features in chips these days Nintendo won't have to put together anything expensive to reach that level. Nintendo has the advantage of using chips that are more efficient than the ones MS and Sony use for their current gen systems, and releasing over 4 years after those systems came out, and some what like 12 years after PS4 came out. It is not going to take anything over $399 for Nintendo to put out a portable with decent battery life that can outdo PS4 and XB1 output and represent a generational upgrade to the Switch.

Last edited by Slownenberg - on 12 September 2024

$400-$450. Although if they overprice a console at launch it wouldn't be the first time.

Jumpin said:
sc94597 said:

$399 tracks with where Nintendo's priced their consoles for the last five generations. 

As a note. The 299 Wii U was the Basic Model, only a few were ever released and it ceased production a few months after launch. The Wii U was effectively 350 USD.

While that is true, the Wii U Deluxe had a price drop to $299 right when the Basic model was canceled, less than a year after release. I think $299 is still a fair assessment of what the Wii U cost.

Random_Matt said:

£449 (consoles are now overpriced, pay or do not pay)
Although, it is Nintendo, they could probably charge the same as the PS5 Pro and their fan base would still buy it.

Wii U proved that their base won't buy everything Nintendo does.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network
JEMC said:
Random_Matt said:

£449 (consoles are now overpriced, pay or do not pay)
Although, it is Nintendo, they could probably charge the same as the PS5 Pro and their fan base would still buy it.

You are right, I forgot about that one. I thought it was alright myself.

Random_Matt said:
JEMC said:

You are right, I forgot about that one. I thought it was alright myself.

Also, you could just look at the 3DS launch which was catastrophic due to the high price demanded and the lack of marquee titles at launch

Most fans aren't exactly brain-dead as you might think. 

The response to the PS5 Pro is a good example of it.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

I like 379.

The NINTENDO PACT 2015[2016  Vgchartz Wii U Achievement League! - Sign up now!                      My T.E.C.H'aracter

Mar1217 said:

Lol, no people, Nintendo is not going for a Two SKU strategy between an all-digital Switch and one with the cartridge slot included.

Anywoo, I genuinely think their objective is to achieve the 400$ mark.
People have gotten their predictions warped because of Sony's showcase yesterday, but there's no way Nintendo will dramatically go from a 300$ hybrid console to a 500$ in the space of a generation.

This would be too prohibitive from most casual consummers that are important to the overall Switch userbase.

This.  People are forgetting about Nintendo's wide appeal.  I have a Switch and each of my kids have one, for a total of 3.  That isn't happening at Steam Deck prices and Nintendo knows it.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

$399.99 USD.