By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 Pro is still far cheaper than a PC

only777 said:
Kristof81 said:

Do you really think that PS5pro's GPU is equivalent to 7900 XTX or RTX4080!? Oh holy LOL :D

No, and if that's what you took away from my post then you are making the same mistake at lot of uninformed commentators are making.

No, the PS5 Pro is not nearly as good as an RTX 4080.  But it doesn't need to be to get the same result; and that's the point here.

Think about it.  Sony / Nixxes themselves say that to get 4k / 60fps with high Ray Tracing on PC with Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart, you will need:

Source: https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/games/ratchet-and-clank-rift-apart/pc/

But look at the videos both Sony and CNet have released of the same game running on PS5 Pro.

It is also running at 4k 60 fps with high Ray Tracing.

But because the PS5 Pro GPU & CPU are much lower than this, then how is it able to do it?

--------

The answer is PSSR.

And this is where a lot of people are getting it wrong. 

Unlike a 4080 which is natively rendering a 4K image, the PS5 Pro is not.  It's using AI to upscale a lower resolution up to 4K.

This is the big paradigm shift in graphics rendering.  AI is upscaling a lower resolution image to make it look identical to a native 4K image.

So no, the GPU is PS5 Pro is no where near a 4080.  But it doesn't need to be because this is the start of the big AI paradigm shift in graphics rendering.

Just use the same native resolution on PC as the PS5 Pro version runs and also upscale it on PC to 4k then? Why do you look at the results of native 4k on PC to compare it to upscaled to 4k on PS?

I'm sure games will look and run very nice on PS5 Pro but this just doesn't make any sense. You act as if PS5 Pro is the first machine which will let you upscale your resolution with AI

Around the Network

So Op. Why didn't you do an Apples to apples and use an AMD Radeon that is PS5 Pro equivalent and is cheaper than the RTX 4080?

Why an Intel CPU and not an AMD one?
Why 32GB of Ram and not 16GB?

You made the PC faster and wondering why it's more expensive?

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

only777 said:
Kristof81 said:

Do you really think that PS5pro's GPU is equivalent to 7900 XTX or RTX4080!? Oh holy LOL :D

No, and if that's what you took away from my post then you are making the same mistake at lot of uninformed commentators are making.

No, the PS5 Pro is not nearly as good as an RTX 4080.  But it doesn't need to be to get the same result; and that's the point here.

But look at the videos both Sony and CNet have released of the same game running on PS5 Pro.

The "4K" quality mode on PS5 ain't 4K 30 fps. It is a dynamic resolution (60 - 100% of 4K) according to Digital Foundry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xtJYpwvHjY

So what makes you think that it runs 4k 60 fps on the PS5 Pro instead of dynamic resolution (x - 100% of 4K) with 60 fps?

Why do you insist that the raytracing settings are 100% comparable to the "high" Ray Tracing on PC?

only777 said:
Kristof81 said:

Think about it.  Sony / Nixxes themselves say that to get 4k / 60fps with high Ray Tracing on PC with Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart, you will need:

Source: https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/games/ratchet-and-clank-rift-apart/pc/

But because the PS5 Pro GPU & CPU are much lower than this, then how is it able to do it?

--------

The answer is PSSR.

Unlike a 4080 which is natively rendering a 4K image, the PS5 Pro is not.  It's using AI to upscale a lower resolution up to 4K.

This is the big paradigm shift in graphics rendering.  AI is upscaling a lower resolution image to make it look identical to a native 4K image.

So no, the GPU is PS5 Pro is no where near a 4080.  But it doesn't need to be because this is the start of the big AI paradigm shift in graphics rendering.

You might want to read up on DLSS because you are grossly and insanely misinformed.  PSSR is NOTHING new.  DLSS has been around for a long time and is king of the hill.  

Sony is doing in 2024 what Nvidia has been doing since 2019.  Well not exactly, nvidia has frame gen on top of upscaling, so the Pro is way behind PC.  

https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/technologies/dlss/

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 11 September 2024

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:
only777 said:

--------

The answer is PSSR.

You might want to read up on DLSS because you are grossly and insanely misinformed.  PSSR is NOTHING new.  DLSS has been around for a long time and is king of the hill.  

Sony is doing in 2024 what Nvidia has been doing since 2019.  Well not exactly, nvidia has frame gen on top of upscaling, so the Pro is way behind PC.  

I'm not saying you're wrong but where are you getting this info from? In the DF video I saw even they admitted that they really don't know how good PSSR is and wont until they get hands on with it.

Around the Network
method114 said:
Chrkeller said:

I'm not saying you're wrong but where are you getting this info from? In the DF video I saw even they admitted that they really don't know how good PSSR is and wont until they get hands on with it.

What part in particular?  DLSS launched in 2019.  DLSS is on version 3.5, which is more than AI upscaling.  It supports AA, ray reconstruction and frame generation.  There are tons of articles demonstrating DLSS takes 1440p and recreates 4k.  

PSSR is upscaling only.  Nvidia mastered upscaling a while ago and moved on to include new features.

PSSR = upscaling 

DLSS = upscaling + AA + frame generation + ray reconstruction 

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 11 September 2024

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

method114 said:
Chrkeller said:

Yeah we won't know for sure until it actually releases. We only have historical comparisons to go on such as how DLSS and FSR performed when they initially released. They were decent, but nowhere near as good as they are now. No first generation tech whether hardware or software has ever performed insanely well. I expect PSSR to be decent, but highly unlikely Sony will be able to compete with the likes of Nvidia right off the bat. That's just something that doesn't happen in the tech world. 

Still, OPs comparisons is wildly missing a lot of context that they're either misinformed on or is just trying to fit their own narrative to make it make sense.

It's also worth noting that notable strides in DLSS weren't even accomplished without entirely new hardware. So PSSR may not even really be able to hit its stride until PS6. Pure speculation, but something else historically to go off of currently.

Chrkeller said:
method114 said:

What part in particular?  DLSS launched in 2019.  DLSS is on version 3.5, which is more than AI upscaling.  It supports AA, ray reconstruction and frame generation.  There are tons of articles demonstrating DLSS takes 1440p and recreates 4k.  

PSSR is upscaling only.  Nvidia mastered upscaling a while ago and moved on to include new features.

PSSR = upscaling 

Do we know if it's really upscaling only?

I mean, AMD has also introduced frame generation, so I guess it's not impossible PSSR also has this feature.

Chrkeller said:
method114 said:

PSSR = upscaling 

Ok I see what you're saying now. I wasn't thinking of it in that way. 

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Chrkeller said:

PSSR = upscaling 

Do we know if it's really upscaling only?

I mean, AMD has also introduced frame generation, so I guess it's not impossible PSSR also has this feature.

That was the way I interpreted the reveal.  I mean if it does more than resolution, Sony did a poor job at explaining.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED