By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 Pro is still far cheaper than a PC

I read a couple of tech articles; they have the ps5 pro GPU same as a RX6800. Amazon has one for £350, which is not remotely close to a £1,000 GPU.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network

If you only buy a PC for gaming, then a PC with decent capabilities is also a pretty expensive buy, yes. But even then you have a much bigger games library and the games are cheaper. You can get a lot of free games if you use all stores (Epic, GOG and so on...) and you don't have to pay for some weird stuff which costs money on consoles.

So even if you only use the PC for gaming, it looks like a much better deal to me as a PS5 Pro. The only disadvantage is that you have to wait some time to get games from Sony or games Sony bought exclusive rights for to play on PC.

If you also use your PC for other things, there's just no point to even talk about what's better nowadays.

The PS5 pro GPU is 67% faster than a PS5 GPU and according to Tom's hardware is a 17TFlop GPU. A RTX4080 Is 48.74 Tflop GPU, with DLSS 3.7 and frame gen.

I don't think those two GPU's are in the same league. In most cases a 4080 will perform better. Also for 699 you could make a more balanced system for CPU heavy games.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Keep in mind PS5 Pro GPU is literally RX 7700 XT with maybe some improved RT from RDNA 4.

Chrkeller said:

I read a couple of tech articles; they have the ps5 pro GPU same as a RX6800. Amazon has one for £350, which is not remotely close to a £1,000 GPU.

The PS5 Pro is 60 CUs RDNA3.5, according to leaks, the closest equivalent being a slightly underclocked RX7800 with better RT.

Since I have a 4090, which isn't even twice as fast on raster, I'm not going to complain on their premium pricing.

Around the Network
haxxiy said:
Chrkeller said:

The PS5 Pro is 60 CUs RDNA3.5, according to leaks, the closest equivalent being a slightly underclocked RX7800 with better RT.

Since I have a 4090, which isn't even twice as fast on raster, I'm not going to complain on their premium pricing.

Fair enough.  A RX7800 via Amazon is £400, not even close to £1,000.  And benchmarks have scores, the one I quickly googled, at 180% for the RX7800.  A 4080 is scoring 290%.  

So, either way, the OP is just flatly wrong.  The ps5 Pro isn't remotely close to a RTX 4080.  It is a slaughter in favor of the RTX 4080, based on raw performance.  Add in DSLL is the best upscaling on the market.  Nvidia RT is far superior to AMD....  The OP is just wrong.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

You could build PC here in Europe for not much more than the 900 they are asking for or at least make a good attempt and buy parts iteratively until you get the job done. One that would blow base PS5 out of the water, might not get as good as PRO but it's a PC, you can play games from the birth of gaming up until now and then wait on the exclusives to port over. The PS5 PRO is simply not it, it's not even close to being "it". I'd say, at 1200 euro plus the price of a case you'd get some serious power for games at 1440p in the 60's. 4k is overblown, it's not really that great. RT is overblown, unless you have a dev level PC it's too power hungry and makes little difference to your eyes visually.

Heck, maybe even cheaper, a 3060 is about 350 euro. Great CPU the same. Power supply at 150. Ram at 150 ish. Mother board ??? Case ??? It's not far off. 1100 if you're thrifty. 

Chrkeller said:
haxxiy said:

Fair enough.  A RX7800 via Amazon is £400, not even close to £1,000.  And benchmarks have scores, the one I quickly googled, at 180% for the RX7800.  A 4080 is scoring 290%.  

So, either way, the OP is just flatly wrong.  The ps5 Pro isn't remotely close to a RTX 4080.  It is a slaughter in favor of the RTX 4080, based on raw performance.  Add in DSLL is the best upscaling on the market.  Nvidia RT is far superior to AMD....  The OP is just wrong. Â

If PSSR and the new RT engine deliver as promised the better comparison would have been the RTX 4070, yes.

haxxiy said:
Chrkeller said:

So, either way, the OP is just flatly wrong.  The ps5 Pro isn't remotely close to a RTX 4080.  It is a slaughter in favor of the RTX 4080, based on raw performance.  Add in DSLL is the best upscaling on the market.  Nvidia RT is far superior to AMD....  The OP is just wrong. Â

If PSSR and the new RT engine deliver as promised the better comparison would have been the RTX 4070, yes.

Agreed.  I think the 4070 still would have an edge over the pro, but they are at least in the same ballpark.

And a 4070 can be had for £500, half the price of the claimed £1,000.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Zen 2 CPU will be a limiting factor in games going forward, it will struggle to hold 60 fps. In comparison you can buy a cheap 120€ RX 5600X Zen 3 that is much faster. And yeah the GPU is RX 7700 XT which can be found for 400€ new right now.