By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 Pro revealed. November 7th 2024. $699

I have an opinion.
Sony knew the massive backslach they would have gotten, but what they want is to test the actual impact on sales.

If this flops very hard, there will be a price cut and PS6 might cost $600.

But if it's not the massive flop that it could be, and it meets the probably low expectations... there is no going back, Sony is moving on to full Apple mode and Playstation will never be remotedly affordable anymore.

Around the Network
Tober said:
G2ThaUNiT said:

It does support the disc drive, but purchased separately.

September 26th? Same day as the Zelda Switch Lite!

Let the sales comparisons begin!

7 november release..

Kyuu said:
Soundwave said:

Get ready for $700 PS6 as the standard price too + $100 standard for an extra controller, lol. They have no incentive to price cheaply with XBox fizzling out.

800 EURO ... ahahahahaha.

Who cares about Xbox though? PC/Steam will be fucking them up. This is the first time I'm skipping a Playstation console in favor of PC, and there are millions like me.

Yep.  And I think this will actually drive the ps6 price down, because Sony will re-learn from the ps3...  Ain't nobody going to pay $700 for a console.  If anything this will make Sony more price focused for the ps6.

Edit

And if the switch 2 launches in the $400 to $450 range + sells like wild fire...  there might be a strong message.  $700, IMO, is hard to swallow because online isn't exactly cheap either.  Over a generation online is another $500.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Kyuu said:
Shaunodon said:

Disgusting. They are telling people you are a second class citizen if you want to physically owns games.

Remind me who these people were--

Market leaders.. in hypocrisy.

Okay now that's some BS. Sony never prioritized the digital edition of PS5-Beginner even after increasing its price by $50. On the contrary, they made digital PS5 upgradable midgen.

PS5 Pro has an atrocious pricetag and won't sell enough units to affect digital distribution. They probably just thought including a disk drive in a default SKU will start a "$799!" meme.

You're acting like $699 isn't already a meme. The price is already outragous and they want you to plonk on another $100+ at your own volition to actually put discs in.

Kyuu said:
Soundwave said:

Get ready for $700 PS6 as the standard price too + $100 standard for an extra controller, lol. They have no incentive to price cheaply with XBox fizzling out.

800 EURO ... ahahahahaha.

Who cares about Xbox though? PC/Steam will be fucking them up. This is the first time I'm skipping a Playstation console in favor of PC, and there are millions like me.

Sony knows they have people by the balls. $700 US/800 Euro (LOL) is a ton of money, but Sony knows full well you can't build a comparable PC for the same cost. 

AMD has basically said they're not even going to try and compete with Nvidia's flagship GPUs anymore, so Nvidia will charge through the ass for their future GPUs at $1000+ for any of the really good models. For Nvidia, gaming GPUs are becoming a tiny part of their overall business anyway, Switch + PC GPUs (gaming business) represented like only 9% of their entire revenue in their latest earnings report. Nvidia is basically going to become an AI services focused company. 

Gamers are just gonna have to accept getting fucked up the ass in pricing to have smaller and smaller tangiable graphical gains, that's all there is to it. Say bye bye to price cuts too. 

Around the Network
BraLoD said:

I have an opinion.
Sony knew the massive backslach they would have gotten, but what they want is to test the actual impact on sales.

If this flops very hard, there will be a price cut and PS6 might cost $600.

But if it's not the massive flop that it could be, and it meets the probably low expectations... there is no going back, Sony is moving on to full Apple mode and Playstation will never be remotedly affordable anymore.

The moment this pricing model works along with their full push into digital-only, I'm going straight to PC+Nintendo systems only and never looking back. The Twins can kick rocks at that point.

Soundwave said:
Kyuu said:

Sony knows they have people by the balls. $700 US/800 Euro (LOL) is a ton of money, but Sony knows full well you can't build a comparable PC for the same cost. 

AMD has basically said they're not even going to try and compete with Nvidia's flagship GPUs anymore, so Nvidia will charge through the ass for their future GPUs at $1000+ for any of the really good models. For Nvidia, gaming GPUs are becoming a tiny part of their overall business anyway, Switch + PC GPUs (gaming business) represented like only 9% of their entire revenue in their latest earnings report. 

Gamers are just gonna have to accept getting fucked up the ass in pricing to have smaller and smaller tangiable graphical gains, that's all there is to it. Say bye bye to price cuts too. 

$800 + $500 (online access for the generation)...  closing in on a good PC rig.  bearing in mind PC offers xbox games as well....  plus emulation, plus cheaper games, plus way better sales, plus cheaper upgrades...  Steam is growing for a reason.  I wouldn't discount the PC route.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

konnichiwa said:
Tober said:

September 26th? Same day as the Zelda Switch Lite!

Let the sales comparisons begin!

7 november release..

Ah misread that. Thanks

The profit margins on games are dropping because development costs are going through the roof, Sony knows it. They are pivoting to an Apple style pricing model where more of the profit comes from the hardware itself.

Game Controllers are going to cost a small fortune too, they're bumping the price of PS5 controllers by $5 to $80 now, they're going to push to $95-$100 for PS6, just watch.

The gaming industry is fucked.