By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 Pro revealed. November 7th 2024. $699

😆 

Around the Network
Pemalite said:

Day 1 purchase for me. Will trade in the regular PS5.

Only downside is the lack of optical drive... No increase in DRAM capacity (Same limitation of the PS4 Pro) and no real tangible improvements to the CPU, so Ray Tracing is going to be bottlenecked on those ancient Zen2 cores.

As for the comparisons to the Series X... Remember that the Series X is often the same price as the regular PS5 and has lost in every single region in terms of sales despite offering more performance. - Clearly hardware isn't important up to a point.

Secondly... The Series X has an optical drive.

Honestly this is going to be priced out of reach for most consumers, so I expect it's success to be marginal at best.

The thing is... XSX is slightly more powerful than PS5. XSX has 12 teraflops while PS5 has 11 teraflops. Moreover, sometimes PS5 shows higher performance in certain games (Ghostwire: Tokyo is an example when PS5's version is better). Sometimes it just comes to optimization of games. 

Vorodroid said:

The thing is... XSX is slightly more powerful than PS5. XSX has 12 teraflops while PS5 has 11 teraflops. Moreover, sometimes PS5 shows higher performance in certain games (Ghostwire: Tokyo is an example when PS5's version is better). Sometimes it just comes to optimization of games. 

Be careful using Teraflops, the PS5 pro has made some changes to the pipelines which means teraflop numbers are not directly comparable as it's based on RDNA3.

Performance discrepancies will always exist.
Xbox One had a few games that outperformed the Playstation 4... Notably Assassins Creed. - Comes down to developer resources and competence and what the game rendering loads are. (Xbox One had a faster CPU and lower latency memory.)

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

G2ThaUNiT said:
Vorodroid said:

The thing I don't understand is why Microsoft refuse to make "pro model of Xbox", something like "Xbox Series M" in order to compete with PS5 Pro. They had XOX in 2017 and as for today they have nothing to offer in upper segment.

Right now, they're looking pretty smart not having a mid-gen refresh. Especially considering how much Microsoft has been struggling to sell consoles in general. There were plans from the FTC hearings for a mid-gen refresh, but I'm guessing they saw how much it'll cost and decided not to.

I'll be shocked if PS5 Pro sells half of what the PS4 Pro did. Which was about 15 million units. 

Yeah, Xbox is focused on what they have, their next console, and PC.

Xbox 5 is tracking for a Holiday 2026 or Holiday 2027 release. PS6 is tracking for a Holiday 2027 or Holiday 2028 release. If Xbox 5 comes out Holiday 2026, there is no point in releasing Xbox Series M or whatever in Holiday 2024 or especially as late as Holiday 2025. 

PlayStation may be blurring the line more and more with Gaming PCs, but there still seems to be a line. Microsoft is content to sell games and services on console and PC, or just PC if that's what eventually happens. Sony's not the one putting their games on other systems. MLB doesn't count because that was hardly up to Sony. 

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 161 million (was 73 million, then 96 million, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million, then 156 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

I just got 700 bucks. What should I spend it on? I know a CiB Copy of MUSHA on SEGA Genesis. WAY better than a digital-only console with minor clarity in background objects. MUSHA > PS5

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

This pro console and the hope that more games that I was interested in would be available by this time; is what I've been waiting for. Demon Souls, Stellar Blade, and the FF7 remakes so far are the only games that I'm interested in. I feel slightly let down with Sony this generation. Ponder and ponder, maybe wait for PS6 and hope it also has backwards compatibility (and a built in disc drive)? I have a massive PS4 physical library that I want to be able to carry over.

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

700$ and no disc drive? Fuck off Sony.

LegitHyperbole said:

😆 

Brilliantly sums up the state of modern gaming. We're rapidly headed to a place where the average consumer is going to stop giving a crap about graphics updates because you're not getting anywhere close to a large leap for a normal person relative to the price you're being asked to pay. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 10 September 2024

Spike0503 said:

700$ and no disc drive? Fuck off Sony.

You're never going to see a Sony console will a disc drive standard ever again, so you might as well say bye bye to that idea period. High chance PS5/Pro are even the last systems where it will be an option period. 

It's expensive, but compared to a gaming laptop it's all relative.

Plus I do enjoy the hassle free play environment, and it should enhance PSVR2 by leaps and bounds. 2Tb SSD is also great, the 800GB is always full. However not having a disc drive is what gives me doubts. Hopefully the drive will be forwards compatible for PS6...

It would be nice if you can use a PS5 standard to install from, but I guess then you need both on for DRM :/ Guess I'll be trading my PS5 in, make it hurt a little less. Or rather trade in the original model after trading the newer model with my kid. He can have the one with a lot less wear and tear.

I could also sell my Series X. All I used it for this summer is 4K blu-rays, which the ps5 plays as well. (Well not without a disc drive obviously ugh)