By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will Echoes of Wisdom become the best selling "2D" Zelda?

Do you think it will?

Yes 20 38.46%

No 32 61.54%

Total:52
Pajderman said:

The best selling 2D Zelda is currently the Switch version of Links Awakening. 

Zippy6 said:

Link's Awakening remake sold 6.46m by December 2022, so is probably above 6.51m now and the best selling 2D Zelda. We don't know how much higher than that it is right now, could be over 7m.

I was including the various remakes and remasters under "rereleases" and referring to sales the original games, my bad, I should have made that more clear. We also don't have any numbers on LA Switch since 2022 so it's hard to measure against it.

Around the Network

What's this pessimism in here? The game is gonna clear 10mil lifetime with 5mil in the first week (Sept 26-Sept 30)

tbone51 said:

What's this pessimism in here? The game is gonna clear 10mil lifetime with 5mil in the first week (Sept 26-Sept 30)

Well... You did predict 20m shipped for Mario Wonder in it's first quarter and it did 12m, so it might be you're usually ridiculously optimistic. But we'll see.

RedKingXIII said:

I don't think Echoes of Wisdom is going to sell more than Link's Awakening. Sure it's a new game vs a remake but it's the second Zelda with the same style on the Switch, and second Zelda games on the same system always sell less than their predecessors.

I’m kinda with you on this. This ‘curse’ had never failed.

i am going to be bold too, Yes, it will and it will do 10.2 mil lifetime

Switch!!!

Around the Network

Isn’t it 3D?

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

It will do between 2.5 and 5 millions.

I will not buy it (and I did buy Link's awakening remake and A Link Between World on 3DS).

The art style is bad, and playing as Zelda turn it instantly into a secondary spin off and I think that will throw some people off. It will do better than Princess Peach game but won't appeal to a large audience and will be labeled girly due to Zelda and the artstyle.

Zippy6 said:
tbone51 said:

Well... You did predict 20m shipped for Mario Wonder in it's first quarter and it did 12m, so it might be you're usually ridiculously optimistic. But we'll see.

Yeap, was off alot on that one, that said there is a number of reasons in would say EoW could hir close to if not over 5mil in its OP quarter. Links awakening with a similar timeframes did 3.13mil. Granted it was a remake but obviously first 2d zelda game on the system.

EoW has alot more going for it, aside from the obvious it's a new game, This game could be backed up by the many new players the Zelda franchise brought in after Links Awakening released. Obviously larger userbase, and while I dont think itll be front loaded (like TotK explosive launch to slower legs), I do think 3.13mil remake --> 5mil New game is possible

Jumpin said:

Isn’t it 3D?

It's graphics are rendered in 3D, but gameplay takes place on a 2D plane, hence "2D" in quotation marks, just as an easier way of communicating the games I am talking about, as opposed to the 3D entries from Ocarina of Time to Tears of the Kingdom.

IkePoR said:

A Link Between Worlds only sold 4M? That's strange, I would have thought that would have done way better.

Anyway, no. It would be nice to be wrong but I don't think this is the game to do it. I don't speak for any Zelda fans but myself but, this game doesn't appeal to me. If Zelda was a bit more like her Smash variant - more active in combat and could turn into Sheik - I'd be there day one. As it is, looks like the first "cozy" Zelda game, I don't think solving puzzles with beds and passive combat is for Zelda fans like me.

Yeah pretty much this. I'm still on the fence over whether I'll eventually get this game because I'd be way more interested in it if there was active combat instead of passive. The main gameplay mechanic would be cool if it was in addition to normal Zelda combat, but with that mechanic driving the entire gameplay, I dunno, just doesn't have the same appeal.

Looks cool for what it is, but what it is looks definitely less cool than a fighting Zelda would be. I think it'll sell a couple million less than whatever it would have with active combat. 5 mil sounds about right. I could see it doing a couple million at launch, another couple million over the holidays, and then gradually pick up another million over a long period of time.