By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Does Sony have enough Original IP?

Does Sony have enough original IP?

Yes. 17 73.91%

No. 3 13.04%

No opinion 3 13.04%

Total:23
G2ThaUNiT said:
Hiku said:

It seems this may have been taken out of context, and that it was in reference to entertainment outside of videogames. (TV, movies, etc)

In which case there are less that would be popular for those mediums. But they still have a good amount, I think.

What does "mostly" mean though? Like were video games still mentioned or did that comment conveniently leave that part out with a vague "mostly?" I do agree that Sony is well below the other giants in the film/TV industry though, but they've kind of always have for decades been a distant competitor. Only 1 Sony film has crossed the $1 billion mark at the box office, and that was Skyfall in 2012. 

Given their reaction, I assumed they may have meant that because games were discussed less than the other mediums, the news outlets that reported on this should have paid attention whether or not games were included in the conversation pertaining to IP's. Presumably they're saying they weren't (otherwise I don't think it warrants that reaction), but I only have a screenshot and not a link, so I haven't been able to check.

Around the Network
G2ThaUNiT said:
Signalstar said:

Not true. Spider-Man Far From Home grossed over $1 Billion. Spider-Man No Way Home grossed over $2 Billion.

I don't count those because they were crossovers developed films with Disney/Marvel Studios and Kevin Feige producing them along with them being intertwined with the MCU as a whole. Sony couldn't make anymore of those movies without working on a financial deal with Disney. Because without Disney, neither of those movies would've been made. Including Homecoming. I'm talking exclusively Sony made films. The Venom movies, Madame Web, Morbius, and the upcoming Kraven would be Sony Marvel films. So as far as Sony only made films, Skyfall would be the biggest with Spider-Man 3 being the second biggest IIRC.

Not to mention, there's a Box Office split between Disney and Sony for both movies. I know Disney wanted a 50-50 split, but idk if that turned out to be the actual deal. Either way, Sony didn't actually make 1 billion or 2 billion for either Spider-Man movies.

Well by that logic Skyfall shouldn't count either. Eon/UA/MGM were behind the Craig era Bond films. Sony lost the distribution rights after Spectre. Universal released the last film. Amazon acquired MGM now and gets to say where Bond will end up next. Sony is still in the business of making  Spider-Man films. Not so much Bond.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

"He added that Sony has been better at growing its audiences for its current popular IPs and thinks the company won't grow without creating new IP."

Seems to me like he's talking about games as well as other mediums. 

In general there're a lot of PS franchises although PS don't us a lot of them. Even without mentioning PS1-PS2 IPs there are a lot PS3-PS4 titles which have become frozen. Why they don't return old franchises is a big question. Maybe they don't want to bring back some older stuff and want to feel more modern in terms what they do.

Anyway, even without some of their IPs they have a lot of partnership deals. During PS5 days there were some timed exclusive games from some partners e.g. Deathloop, Ghostwire: Tokyo, Kena: Bridge of Spirits, Godfall, Sifu etc. In 2024 you may remember Rise of the Ronin, FF7: Rebirth, Helldivers 2, and don't forget about upcoming Silent Hill 2. Some of these games which are mentioned were initially released only on PS5 or on both PS5 or PC but they all have played some role in the current console race. Some people have chosen PS5 over XS not only because of God of War: Ragnarok or Gran Turismo 7 but these games also attracted some audience. It's often impossible to rely only on 1st party stuff. TBH Xbox console today has (timed) exclusive games. The problems occur when some of these games become controversial or get mixed reception e.g. Battletoads, Bleeding Edge, Redfall, Crackdown 3, Halo: Infinite. The problems occur when these games release and there isn't another option to play. Some partnership deals is the thing which solves such trouble. When Godfall initially released there was Demon's Souls, when Ghostwire: Tokyo released there was Gran Turismo 7 or when there weren't 1st party games, there were Rise of the Ronin and FF7: Rebirth. Xbox also has some deals with a few stidios like Ori games or Flight Simulator games but sometimes it has less such titles.
Therefore I would say while there are a lot of 1st party franchises which PS don't use, they have more stuff from partners which increases PS library.

Last edited by Vorodroid - on 08 September 2024

Of course they do, they need to bring back:
Resistance
Killzone
SOCOM
Sly cooper
Jak and daxter
Infamous
Twisted metal

Many more I'm missing

Around the Network

So much out of context... This article clarifies a bit more. It's not just gaming IPs, it's their media entertainment division as a whole, including games, films, anime, etc. Yoshida wants to go from distributor to content creator and discusses why they need more IP... But you know, gaming sites, gaming journalism, gamers and their "Console Warz!!"

https://www.ft.com/content/307f7a2e-a755-4f6e-badc-9bc119f185df

Man.. I hate it when your girl has to leave my place to come back to you..