By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games that look terrible/generic shovelware but are actually amazing to play.

I...

Only play AAA games 2 15.38%

I play AA games as well as above 0 0%

I played indies as well as above. 10 76.92%

I play mobile games as well as above 1 7.69%

Total:13
IcaroRibeiro said:

Astral Chain

It horrendous, but play pretty nicely

Yep, I don't understand how people don't see how generic it is at a glance, VanQuish looks more interesting and that alongside the generic style doesn't have a lick of colour. Like ya said though, solid game to play. 

Around the Network

I may be biased as fan of the comic, but I loved Rogue Trooper. (Played the original on PC, haven't played the Redux remake.)
It may look like just another scifi shooter but I enjoyed it more than any other such, perhaps save Halo. (I'm talking only about single player.)
The system of "buying" ammo and health with salvage is genius and you can play in different ways: go Rambo, snipe, sneak, throw grenades/mines or use various gimmicks.

LegitHyperbole said:
TallSilhouette said:

Alpha Protocol wasn't much to look at and was kinda janky even for its time but it's one of the best ARPG's (and spy thrillers) of its generation in its own way. One of the games that delivered best on your choices actually mattering.

Never even heard of it, it's no on PS store though...

It was re-released on GOG recently with some modernized features. It's also on Steam but the GOG version is definitely the way to go. Underrated gem of the 2010s! 

-25% Alpha Protocol on GOG.com

G2ThaUNiT said:
LegitHyperbole said:

Never even heard of it, it's no on PS store though...

It was re-released on GOG recently with some modernized features. It's also on Steam but the GOG version is definitely the way to go. Underrated gem of the 2010s! 

It's vaguely familiar, was it like a super hero game or something in the vien of Infamous? I think I know the one, I never got around to it but I was interested. 

LegitHyperbole said:
G2ThaUNiT said:

It's vaguely familiar, was it like a super hero game or something in the vien of Infamous? I think I know the one, I never got around to it but I was interested. 

No it was a spy thriller RPG. Influenced by the likes of Jason Bourne and James Bond. Game was nothing particularly special to look at, but in typical Obsidian Entertainment fashion, the writing and the choices you make take center stage.

Around the Network
G2ThaUNiT said:
LegitHyperbole said:

No it was a spy thriller RPG. Influenced by the likes of Jason Bourne and James Bond. Game was nothing particularly special to look at, but in typical Obsidian Entertainment fashion, the writing and the choices you make take center stage.

Well, heres to hoping they bring it into current decade with a remake or remaster. 

LegitHyperbole said:
G2ThaUNiT said:

Well, heres to hoping they bring it into current decade with a remake or remaster. 

That would be awesome, but that would be up to Sega as they were the publishers of the game. The GOG version will most likely be the closest you'll get to a remaster because pretty much all the core systems of the game were modernized. Just not the visuals lol.

G2ThaUNiT said:
LegitHyperbole said:

That would be awesome, but that would be up to Sega as they were the publishers of the game. The GOG version will most likely be the closest you'll get to a remaster because pretty much all the core systems of the game were modernized. Just not the visuals lol.

Sadly my laptop was the last PC gaming system I had and it's pretty much buggered. I would love to have a go at it, I choose charisma every RPG I play and love dialogue choices and skill checks more than battles at times. 

People forget this, but GTA 3 didn't look all that hot, even when it first launched. Jaggies, pop-in... it took heat on message boards at the time. Of course, given what it was accomplishing on the hardware (PS2), it was sort of impossible for it to look like Splinter Cell, but yeah... it wasn't the best looking of games.

But it sure was a hell of a lot of fun.

JackHandy said:

People forget this, but GTA 3 didn't look all that hot, even when it first launched. Jaggies, pop-in... it took heat on message boards at the time. Of course, given what it was accomplishing on the hardware (PS2), it was sort of impossible for it to look like Splinter Cell, but yeah... it wasn't the best looking of games.

But it sure was a hell of a lot of fun.

Yep. And Vice City had thar blurred motion effect, wasn't really a pretty game either, character models were bad. San Andreas wasn't even that good looking for it's time. It wasn't until GTA4 did we see R* get these games up to graphical standards and even that had it's flaws conpared to something like MGS4.