By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why do Disk Drives matter?

Would you quit gaming if the industry went full digital?

Yes 22 28.21%

No 44 56.41%

Unsure 12 15.38%

Total:78
RolStoppable said:

Switch software sales aren't even close to 50% digital when there's a physical option available. The 50%+ digital share that people all too commonly cite is revenue-based and does include DLC, subscriptions and digital-only games. When given the choice, Switch software is still around 70% physical; not lifetime, but during the most recent fiscal year.

That's about where PlayStation was around 2018. So just a five-year difference between the two - not as different of a beast as you claim. Furukawa himself acknowledged in the last investor Q&A that the expanded scale of digital had been a major generational change and that he expected the trend to continue.

That's the thing about logistic growth. You look at it early and don't think it's going to go too fast, but it will. Nintendo will be 90% digital revenue by the turn of the decade while disc drives will be just an add-on afterthought for the other console manufacturers.

Around the Network

RolStoppable said:
Bizwas said:

Another plus for physical media for people with friends: you can borrow a game from them/ lend one to them.

Yeah... once you recognize this simple fact and consciously read through threads about physical video games, it becomes apparent how few of the people online actually do have friends.

Maybe they don't, and that's fine. When you grow up and have careers and children and such, not everyone has a ton of time to have super close friends. 

Most Americans have between one and four "close friends" (maybe it's different in other countries). And, those friends aren't necessarily going to be into gaming, or the same games as you. It's a nice feature of physical gaming, but I don't consider whether someone might want to borrow my game or not when I'm buying them, and I don't expect others to consider whether or not I might want to borrow it when deciding on physical or digital. Plus, I find it awkward to ask to borrow things, and can afford the games I want, so I'd rather just buy them than asking around for a copy. 

https://www.pewresearch.org/short-reads/2023/10/12/what-does-friendship-look-like-in-america/#:~:text=A%20narrow%20majority%20of%20adults,of%20close%20friends%20people%20have.

Last edited by JWeinCom - on 30 August 2024

JWeinCom said:

Maybe they don't, and that's fine. When you grow up and have careers and children and such, not everyone has a ton of time to have super close friends. 

Most Americans have between one and four "close friends" (maybe it's different in other countries). And, those friends aren't necessarily going to be into gaming, or the same games as you. It's a nice feature of physical gaming, but I don't consider whether someone might want to borrow my game or not when I'm buying them, and I don't expect others to consider whether or not I might want to borrow it when deciding on physical or digital. Plus, I find it awkward to ask to borrow things, and can afford the games I want, so I'd rather just buy them than asking around for a copy. 

https://www.pewresearch.org/short-reads/2023/10/12/what-does-friendship-look-like-in-america/#:~:text=A%20narrow%20majority%20of%20adults,of%20close%20friends%20people%20have.

100%

I have 2-3 friends I always hang out every now and then together but the game genres we play are radically different from each other.

I prefer single player experiences with games that actually have an ending.

One friend prefers games like Valorant

Another one prefers games like Destiny 2

The other one prefers fighting games on online like Street Fighter, Tekken, etc

We tried playing games a few times but never worked out because the games we tried out never really kept our interest (The Forest, Minecraft, Left 4 Dead 2, etc). I'm gonna try to see if I can get them to play Borderlands but I doubt it.

Dont have much time as I used to because we have a child now and I'm more focused on improving the QoL of my family.

Nowadays I hang out with my friends at least once a month at a restaurant or somewhere we all decide to go to.

I also dont like borrowing things from other people or lend people stuff - games are cheap nowadays , just takes some patience but you can immediately find decent deals for digital games and quicker deals for physical. I think in my entire I only borrowed like two games and that was like back in 2002 or 2003 in grade school - Chrono Cross for PS1 and Capcom VS SNK 2 on PS2 but like you mentioned, kinda awkward to ask to borrow stuff now especially with how available games are and how cheap they are compared to the 90s.

When sites like these exist, you will never find issues finding games on good sales/deals.

https://www.dekudeals.com/

https://psprices.com/region-us/index

https://xbdeals.net/us-store

https://isthereanydeal.com/

https://slickdeals.net/video-game-deals/

https://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/video-game-deals.2196/

Yes ill quit, because i like to collect my games, when theres nothing to collect ill stop buying them

haxxiy said:

I wonder if these physical-only people are also buying music CDs and Blu-rays instead of using Netflix or Spotify.

I have Spotify because I am a motorcycle enthusiast... And CD players weren't really a thing on motorcycles.
But Bluetooth earphones+Spotify on my smart phone is great.

I do buy UHD Blu-Rays as it's the highest quality format available, I can't stand the crushed colour pallets and macro-blocking of streaming video due to their low bitrates.
I don't own inferior formats like DVD... And I tend to avoid regular blu-ray unless the movie is not available on UHD.

I buy physical games over digital, except on PC as Physical doesn't exist.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
haxxiy said:
RolStoppable said:

Switch software sales aren't even close to 50% digital when there's a physical option available. The 50%+ digital share that people all too commonly cite is revenue-based and does include DLC, subscriptions and digital-only games. When given the choice, Switch software is still around 70% physical; not lifetime, but during the most recent fiscal year.

That's about where PlayStation was around 2018. So just a five-year difference between the two - not as different of a beast as you claim. Furukawa himself acknowledged in the last investor Q&A that the expanded scale of digital had been a major generational change and that he expected the trend to continue.

That's the thing about logistic growth. You look at it early and don't think it's going to go too fast, but it will. Nintendo will be 90% digital revenue by the turn of the decade while disc drives will be just an add-on afterthought for the other console manufacturers.

That's a bold prediction (90% digital revenue). I'll hold you to it.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

Leynos said:

Gee, what a not-biased and short-sighted opening post.

Thanks for adding nothing to this conversation. As expected.

Bizwas said:

Another plus for physical media for people with friends: you can borrow a game from them/ lend one to them.

Thanks, I will add that to the Benefits for Physical.

Lukas85 said:

Yes ill quit, because i like to collect my games, when theres nothing to collect ill stop buying them

So, you don't care about the entertainment of the media? Just weather or not you own it on a disk? 

Vinther1991 said:
Azzanation said:

most require an online connection and some physical media don't even store the full game on the disks. 

That's a bold statement, can you back that up? According to this site, most physical games do not require online or downloads to be fully played: https://www.doesitplay.org/

I agree that physical has lost some of the benefits it used to have, indeed some games do require downloads or internet, and you anyway need to install all the content on the console. When you could just play off the disk, you saved a lot of hard drive space. Still today, with physical games you get the ownership. Digital DRM is still a nightmare, and what happens if Steam ceases to exist or Sony shots down the PS4 servers?
I think GOG is the only one who actually offers a digital alternative that is superior to physical.

You also missed another benefit of a disc drive. It can play other physical media, such as movies. The digital marketplace for movies is an even bigger nightmare than for games, a 4K UHD Blu-ray does not require any internet or installation and offers better quality than the digital alternatives.

It is an extremely unrealist point you bring up. But ill entertain it. If Valve couldn't afford to operate Steam anymore, Steam will be sold to another company that can. If Sony, Xbox, Steam or Nintendo cease to exist, you would have bigger problems in the industry than a gaming network. 

There simply is too much money to be lost if a major ecosystem decides to close the doors. Its why we rarely see it happen. Steam has existed for 20 years, and Xbox, Nintendo and Sony will also live much longer.