By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Game of the Year 2024 - The possible titles

NobleTeam360 said:

Astro Bot
FF7 Rebirth
Tekken 8 (SF6 was nominated last year so I don't see why Tekken 8 can't be)
Metaphor ReFantazio

Hard to say what the last two will be (I think it's usually 6 games nominated for GOTY, right?). I wanted to put Like A Dragon up there but idk if they'll nominate so many JRPGs.

SF6 wasn’t nominated for the overall award last year…unless I’m misunderstanding? I’m holding out for Zelda nomination. Wukong also seems to be a strong contender. Metaphor might possibly not be nominated from all the graphical issues I’ve been hearing about in the demo. Other options would be Balatro and/or Animal Well. I don’t see Helldivers getting nominated, it seems the PSN drama was enough to kill its public perception.

Around the Network

I'm thinking it will be between;

FF7 Rebirth
Astro Bot
Black Myth Wukong
Helldivers 2

Personally hoping Rebirth wins it, Square Enix needs a Win!

Qwark said:

Usually to win the TGA, you need two things:
1. High critic scores
2. Be popular

So far Black Myth Wukong and Zelda are the most likely winners.

Oh hell no. The race to watch is Rebirth vs AstroBot (this has been my prediction since AstroBot's announcement).

Wukong and/or Zelda might not even be nominated. Wukong got some hate for being made by "sexist Chinese devs" and didn't review well enough to guarantee a nomination. Either it or Zelda or both may be kicked out if Veilguard proves a return to form for Dragon Age. Metaphor is also very likely getting nominated if it scores 90+. STALKER 2 is another potential contender.

AstroBot is the front runner. Rebirth will have trouble against it as is, and Metaphor could compete with it for JRPG votes, weakening its chances further.

Last edited by Kyuu - on 30 September 2024

Kyuu said:
Qwark said:

Usually to win the TGA, you need two things:
1. High critic scores
2. Be popular

So far Black Myth Wukong and Zelda are the most likely winners.

Oh hell no. The race to watch is Rebirth vs AstroBot (this has been my prediction since AstroBot's announcement).

Wukong and/or Zelda might not even be nominated. Wukong got some hate for being made by "sexist Chinese devs" and didn't review well enough to guarantee a nomination. Either it or Zelda or both may be kicked out if Veilguard proves a return to form for Dragon Age. Metaphor is also very likely getting nominated if it scores 88+. STALKER 2 is another potential contender.

AstroBot is the front runner. Rebirth will have trouble against it as is, and Metaphor could compete with it for JRPG votes, weakening its chances further.

I was thinking of STALKER 2 having a potential chance but......it releases 3 days after TGA eligibility cutoff date of November 17th. Geoff trying to make the peak holiday window for his show screws over games that release in the final month and a half of the year.

G2ThaUNiT said:
Kyuu said:

Wukong and/or Zelda might not even be nominated. Wukong got some hate for being made by "sexist Chinese devs" and didn't review well enough to guarantee a nomination. Either it or Zelda or both may be kicked out if Veilguard proves a return to form for Dragon Age. Metaphor is also very likely getting nominated if it scores 88+. STALKER 2 is another potential contender.

I was thinking of STALKER 2 having a potential chance but......it releases 3 days after TGA eligibility cutoff date of November 17th. Geoff trying to make the peak holiday window for his show screws over games that release in the final month and a half of the year.

Ah the cursed period, that's a shame. Probably won't be nominated for 2025 awards either.

Around the Network
firebush03 said:
NobleTeam360 said:

Astro Bot
FF7 Rebirth
Tekken 8 (SF6 was nominated last year so I don't see why Tekken 8 can't be)
Metaphor ReFantazio

Hard to say what the last two will be (I think it's usually 6 games nominated for GOTY, right?). I wanted to put Like A Dragon up there but idk if they'll nominate so many JRPGs.

SF6 wasn’t nominated for the overall award last year…unless I’m misunderstanding? I’m holding out for Zelda nomination. Wukong also seems to be a strong contender. Metaphor might possibly not be nominated from all the graphical issues I’ve been hearing about in the demo. Other options would be Balatro and/or Animal Well. I don’t see Helldivers getting nominated, it seems the PSN drama was enough to kill its public perception.

Hmm, you're right it wasn't nominated. For some reason, I thought it was. SF6 had a higher meta score than Tekken 8 has too so it's even more of a reason to believe it won't make it in. If Tekken and Metaphor don't get nominated then October better have some banging game releases. I have doubts about Wukong getting nominated since it was mainly popular in China (but considering I'm struggling to come up with 5-6 games to even nominate maybe it has a decent shot). Agree on Helldivers 2, I don't think that will get nominated. 

The guaranteed:
FF7 Rebirth
AstroBot

The rest:
Helldivers 2
Zelda EoW
Wukong
Dragon's Dogma 2
Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth
Metaphor: ReFantazio?
Dragon Age: The Veilguard?

Indies:
Balatro
Animal Well

Remakes:
Silent Hill 2
Persona 3 Reload
MGS Delta

The snubbed:
Granblue Fantasy: Relink
Unicorn Overlord
Stellar Blade
Ys X: Nordics?

Will make my final 6 after Veilguard and Metaphor release.

Last edited by Kyuu - on 01 October 2024

Nothing for me this year. I don't think I've got a single game released this year (which is not unusual for me), I don't think a single game this year has caught my eye that well, and I don't think I remember any games that are to be released this year that could possibly be worthy of a GotY nomination from me. It's not a terrible year, but it's probably not going to end up as a memorable gaming year either. That said, it's been a decent year for working through my backlog, so I don't really mind.

Zelda EoW and Wukong aren't good enough. Metaphor, Veilguard, and Rebirth are too many RPGs to be nominated together. HD2 will be an also-ran. Since it isn't looking like either will outscore Rebirth, it'll be between Astro Bot and Rebirth (with an off chance for an indie game).

Zelda will likely get nominated, 85 is a good score and most people giving their impressions, that I see at least, are liking it a lot.
I don't think Zelda can get the win, so far it's Rebirth almost locked on because of its scope and being a very well received piece of the iconic FF7, with only Astro Bot making it not a complete given for Rebirth.
I think Zelda has nearly 0% chance of winning and Astro less than 10%.