By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Concord is Sony's biggest failure in gaming history.

Concord has just been released and many already consider it the most failed game of the year and in Sony's history, the game reached a peak on Steam of 600 players. And currently at the time of posting with only 200 players.

Perhaps the only positive point of this game is to show Sony that players don't want this crap woke games or gass games.

Around the Network

I wouldn't be surprised if this studio closed. Jin Ryan and his bet on gass games took Sony into the hole

This could've been any other single player game that would've been received horribly by the players and the studio would've got closed. Some games bomb, it happens, this is the PS5 take on the Order 1886 lol

Stop trying to blame everything on GAS.

LurkerJ said:

This could've been any other single player game that would've been received horribly by the players and the studio would've got closed. Some games bomb, it happens, this is the PS5 take on the Order 1886 lol

In a year where Helldivers 2 released no less, Lmao.

People really don't understand the point of this GAAS chase, I'm pretty sure Sony knows and is ready that every single GAAS won't be a success but all it takes is 1 really popular one to make up for all the failures, one GAAS which brings in tons of recurring revenue, not just over a few months but over a few years, to say it has been a complete failure in a year where Helldivers 2 released is not accurate.

Concord did not fail because "woke" or "GAAS" but it was simply another game that failed to find its place in a crowded market, it's not enough to be "good" in markets like this, you have to be the best, you have to offer something the others don't, I also think it should have been F2P as some of its nearest competition are F2P...You're competing for time now...Its competition is some of the biggest games in the world from one of the most recognised developers in the world, it was always a tall order.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 24 August 2024

I saw this game on Sony's show, but haven't seen any advertising or marketing after that. I genuinely did not know it was out already.

Around the Network
Ryuu96 said:
LurkerJ said:

People really don't understand the point of this GAAS chase, I'm pretty sure Sony knows and is ready that every single GAAS won't be a success but all it takes is 1 really popular one to make up for all the failures, one GAAS which brings in tons of recurring revenue, not just over a few months but over a few years, to say it has been a complete failure in a year where Helldivers 2 released is not accurate.

Concord did not fail because "woke" or "GAAS" but it was simply another game that failed to find its place in a crowded market, it's not enough to be "good" in markets like this, you have to be the best, you have to offer something the others don't, I also think it should have been F2P as some of its nearest competition are F2P...You're competing for time now...Its competition is some of the biggest games in the world from one of the most recognised developers in the world, it was always a tall order.

Woke paranoia is an international crisis right. What is a woke about this game? comments section are filled with WOKE but I have no idea how a multiplayer game can be this upsetting and rile people up so much that god damn article, video, twitter post gets filled with "woke" hate. 

I think SONY's GAAS efforts have been a net negative so far, giving how Bungie buyout didn't strike gold and Concord flopping, but it's a developing situation and this can just easily become a net positive in the future if there is another Helldivers 2 in SIE's horizon and Marathon works out.

PS problems this generation are numerous, I think they're doing terribly overall, but trying to carve out a slice for themselves in the GAAS mania isn't why I think so. 

LurkerJ said:
Ryuu96 said:

Woke paranoia is an international crisis right. What is a woke about this game? comments section are filled with WOKE but I have no idea how a multiplayer game can be this upsetting and rile people up so much that god damn article, video, twitter post gets filled with "woke" hate. 

I think SONY's GAAS efforts have been a net negative so far, giving how Bungie buyout didn't strike gold and Concord flopping, but it's a developing situation and this can just easily become a net positive in the future if there is another Helldivers 2 in SIE's horizon and Marathon works out.

PS problems this generation are numerous, I think they're doing terribly overall, but trying to carve out a slice for themselves in the GAAS mania isn't why I think so. 

Who the fuck knows, I mostly ignore it nowadays, everything is "woke" because it's the new hip, lazy criticism. You can point out countless of examples as to why Concord failed with actual detailed reasoning behind them, Tober is also correct that the marketing was kind of bad, but then some dude will come in like "Lul no, failed cause woke" and it's just eyerolling and useless to actual decent discussion.

I would have said Sony's efforts so far are about 1-1 but I forgot TLOU MP standalone game was cancelled, I don't know if it should have been rather than an external studio should have taken it over, I heard TLOU MP was actually fun. Helldivers 2 was a massive success. Concord is clearly a big flop. Destiny 2 is still very popular but Bungie is clearly a mess.

Bungie can still be saved, Sony needs to act fast though and should have acted sooner, Bungie's entire upper management needs to be fired and have someone who knows what the fuck they're doing take over, Bungie has always made very good, very popular titles that sold a lot but they've always had god awful management, Halo fans know about this, Halo's development was a fucking nightmare. It has at this stage became clear that it was the publishers who were saving Bungie from complete collapse, from Microsoft to Activision and now to Sony.

I think Sony overpaid for Bungie but Destiny is a huge IP, I think 90% of Bungie's problems come from their management and always have. I'm not sure about Marathon though, I don't like Bungie pinning all their hopes on it, especially after they've changed it to an extraction shooter, I'd have rather they tried another Halo-like success, a game with a strong SP/MP but I hope it works out for them because although I'm not a big fan of Destiny, Bungie is my childhood developer, the first I knew by name, they gave me my favourite IP ever.

They're a household name and I don't care if Sony made all their titles exclusive tomorrow and I never got to another Bungie title ever again, I want them to have success still and I want Sony to cut the rot out which is Bungie's upper management before they take the company down with them. All Bungie fans and Halo fans seem to agree with this, Sony needs to act now and nobody will blame Sony for firing who needs to be fired.

Anyway they could find big success with other titles that fill a niche too, take Sea of Thieves for example, it isn't everyone's cup of tea but there's nothing out there like it, it has already sold over 1m on PlayStation and consistently ranks in their charts, it has been a big success for Rare and has next to no direct competition, it is still a GAAS but it has found its market and cornered it. GAAS isn't just "pew pew" like some people act, Lol. You can make something unique still.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 24 August 2024

LurkerJ said:

Ya GAAS isn't the problem, it's their execution so far.

However, if Concord was seen as good enough to be shown and launched, then what does that say about other games that weren't shown or canned?

What does it suggest about what's seen as PS Studios best, as to what they've got cooking behind the scenes?

There's a reason SNY had like 10 or 12 games in development. They knew it was very likely going to take a bunch of swings before a home run.

This shows the issue with trend chasing. If you're not quick enough the trend can go from well liked when you decide to chase it to despised by launch date. Though Marvel Rivals looks like it could get some success so Concord being a completely new IP with unappealing character designs and not a single creative bone in its body combined with it not being F2P is the real killer. I wonder how quickly they'll make it F2P to desperately try to salvage things.

I was never happy when I heard about this Concord, and I always had a bad feeling about it. By the way, it's not the first time this happens.
Hopefully Sony will make some announcements in the near future, about new games and/or new IPs. I'm planning to buy a PS5 PRO, so,

please Sony, impress me with something :D

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.