By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What Nintendo games do you want them to change up the current formula for their next big title?

Are you done or do you think Nintendo is done with Zelda in its current format?

Do you want Mario to change what he has been doing in 3D land?

Any ideas on what you would like them to change or go back to next gen?

Zelda games have been open world more or less since the beginning. Obviously as visuals get better , games get bigger. But do you want it to continue down this path?

Maybe a full blown Zelda 3D, open world RPG? Or a Zelda first person game.

I totally prefer what they have been feeding me the past 30 years. But was just wondering if anyone else was tired of thr formula or have ideas that they thing would use the series. Any of the Nintendo franchises for that matter.

Games like Kirby, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Fzero. What could really push them to the next level. Make these games mega hits instead of just filler games till the next Mario or Zelda. Is it all about bigger an better? Double the size of Mario Kart levels, can anything really be changed or are they stuck don't the same things. Smash Bros has for instance has been about the same game since the N64. Sure they have added a ton into the games to make them fun,  it how long can all that last?

Anyone, or are you happy with them just keeping the same formula?

One example of just changing it all up was Mario 2 on NES. But was that a failure or just too different for the times?

The NINTENDO PACT 2015[2016  Vgchartz Wii U Achievement League! - Sign up now!                      My T.E.C.H'aracter

Around the Network

I actually feel like this generation gave me pretty much all the series shake-ups I'd been wanting; an ambitious 3D Mario in the mould of 64, a fresh new approach to Zelda, a creative new 2D Mario that's not in the tired NSMB style, a 3D Kirby.

I do hope the next Xenoblade or whatever else Monolith Soft is doing next has a different combat system; the current one isn't bad, but it's been the same for 4 games in a row now, I'd like to see them change it up and go with a more action-oriented style next.

It's no secret I dislike current Zelda formula, and Zelda being one of my Top 10 favourite VG IPs, I'd be more than happy to see it changed to resemble original Zelda.

HoloDust said:

It's no secret I dislike current Zelda formula, and Zelda being one of my Top 10 favourite VG IPs, I'd be more than happy to see it changed to resemble original Zelda.

Erm BoTW and ToTk are closer to the original Zelda than the linear games with LTTP and onward. They remade Zelda NES for testing purposes for BoTW is the most Original Zelda since Original Zelda. You want LTTP and OoT which is where the series became stale. Not saying every game needs to be BoTW as that will get old fast. But keep it open in some way and not linear.

Anyway as for the topic. I just want both a port of Xenoblade X and a sequel. Expand on the first with better hardware. Give me a full-blown ARPG for Xenoblade 4 or a new IP.

A new F-Zero be nice. Been 20 years since the last real entry. Be kinda of fun if parts of the track are a rail and the car is dangling by a hook and control directions on the rail side to side and around to avoid obstacles and other racers.

2D Mario would be fun to have a hand-drawn art-style 2D game that uses early 90s Mario art.

Sin N Punishment. Not only a port of Star Successor but a new entry. I don't know what mechanic to add to a rail shooter. Maybe temp split in two to control 2 characters at once moderated by a meter that drains. Double the first power but twice as vulnerable.

Astral Chain. Dungeons be more unique.  Better customization.

Starfox. See Chorvs and make a better version of that game.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Pikmin. Go back to the hard day limit. Pikmin 4, while good, lost the sense of urgency the original had.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network

Mario Kart needs an adventure mode. Like DKR or CTR. Heck even an event based campaign like the Sonic racing games.

I want more than just the grand prix mode yet again.

Literally! Good to see you again :D

On topic: I would love a modern 3D Nintendo game in the vein of Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask. It doesn't have to be a Zelda.

Leynos said:
HoloDust said:

Erm BoTW and ToTk are closer to the original Zelda than the linear games with LTTP and onward. They remade Zelda NES for testing purposes for BoTW is the most Original Zelda since Original Zelda. You want LTTP and OoT which is where the series became stale. Not saying every game needs to be BoTW as that will get old fast. But keep it open in some way and not linear.

No, I said want I want - to be more like original Zelda. BotW is not like original Zelda since it's lacking one of (pun intended) "key" pillars of original Zelda design - which is gate and key (either literal, or metaphorical), hence not having gated open world, in addition to having terrible dungeons.

Later Zeldas became more and more linear - BotW overcompensated and become too open world. I find that balance where both open world and "dungeon first" design principle works best is in original Zelda formula.

I'd like to see the option for 1:1 sword combat restored to Zelda. Skyward Sword remains far and away the Zelda game with the best combat in my opinion.

It's time for a real shakeup to the Splatoon formula. Not sure what they could do differently, but 3 games being so similar is enough.

Xenoblade should have another game that's more like XCX with the fully open world and especially the flying mech suits. The hardware for the Switch 2 should make that as mind-blowing as the original XCX was in 2015.

Paper Mario should go back to its original formula or even do a modern take on the Super Paper Mario formula.

Donkey Kong needs to go 3D like Kirby recently did, but with a more linear and focused level design than DK64.

'Switch Sports' needs to go back to Wuhu Island.

Mario Kart needs to bring back the single player missions from the DS game.

Fire emblem. Less dating sim, more strategy, faster gameplay (snappier animations), harder.