By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Will Nintendo ever make a traditional console again?

curl-6 said:
Chrkeller said:

GC version was odd.  It was wide-screen but cut to 4:3 so it was a much smaller screen.  Or something like that.  I can't recall the exact details but the ps2 version was better just because it was had a better aspect ratio.  

The GC was "letterboxed" (black bars at the top and bottom) while the PS2 version was full widescreen, but the PS2 version had a number of downgrades to get the game running on its less powerful hardware; textures, polygon counts, lighting, and effects were all downgraded compared to Gamecube.

And cutscenes were not rendered in the game. They were FMVs. If you wore an alt outfit. Didn't show in the cutscenes.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:
curl-6 said:

The GC was "letterboxed" (black bars at the top and bottom) while the PS2 version was full widescreen, but the PS2 version had a number of downgrades to get the game running on its less powerful hardware; textures, polygon counts, lighting, and effects were all downgraded compared to Gamecube.

Yep, I'm aware.  But letterbox made the GC FoV super small.  I preferred the ps2 version because it was much larger.  My vote is for the ps2 version.  

At the time I had a 16x9 TV.  The gamecube version, including black bars, was cut to 4:3, but displayed 16x9 within the 4:3 cut.  Meaning the actual game took up like half the screen.  

To this day it is one of the oddest developer decisions I've seen.

The decision was likely made because the vast majority of console gamers in 2005 were playing on 4:3 CRT screens, plus much like The Order 1886 or Hellblade II years later, the black bars meant they had to render fewer pixels, giving them more headroom to render better graphics.

curl-6 said:
Chrkeller said:

Yep, I'm aware.  But letterbox made the GC FoV super small.  I preferred the ps2 version because it was much larger.  My vote is for the ps2 version.  

At the time I had a 16x9 TV.  The gamecube version, including black bars, was cut to 4:3, but displayed 16x9 within the 4:3 cut.  Meaning the actual game took up like half the screen.  

To this day it is one of the oddest developer decisions I've seen.

The decision was likely made because the vast majority of console gamers in 2005 were playing on 4:3 CRT screens, plus much like The Order 1886 or Hellblade II years later, the black bars meant they had to render fewer pixels, giving them more headroom to render better graphics.

Sure.  But it wasn't forward thinking.  It makes the GC version age poorly because now everything is 16x9.  The ps2 version has aged better as a result.  Again, doesn't matter much due to the remake.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:
curl-6 said:

Sure.  But it wasn't forward thinking.  It makes the GC version age poorly because now everything is 16x9.  The ps2 version has aged better as a result.  Again, doesn't matter much due to the remake.

I'm partial to the Wii version personally; it combines the superior graphics of the Gamecube version with the widescreen ratio and extra content of the PS2 version for the best of both worlds.

curl-6 said:
Chrkeller said:

I'm partial to the Wii version personally; it combines the superior graphics of the Gamecube version with the widescreen ratio and extra content of the PS2 version for the best of both worlds.

Perhaps true back in the day.  But now the Remake trumps all.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:
curl-6 said:

Haven't played that one yet; the original is my favourite game of all time though, so I'm sceptical that a reimagining can live up to that. We'll see, though I expect what will happen is that I'll see them as distinct games that I like in different ways.

Chrkeller said:
curl-6 said:

Yea we need more remakes like this, it's so much better then the OG.

Eh Remake lacks in some areas OG is still best at. Both are great but Remake doesn't make the original useless now like REmake did for RE1. One of the best remakes in gaming history tho but few know it. Ys Oath of Felghana over Ys III. It improved every single aspect and made one of the greatest ARPGs ever and best game in the franchise.

Side note. Ada Wongs VA is so fucking awful in RE4R. Still a great game but holy shit you are glad when she is not on screen to not hear her talk.

Last edited by Leynos - on 24 August 2024

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

curl-6 said:
Chrkeller said:

Haven't played that one yet; the original is my favourite game of all time though, so I'm sceptical that a reimagining can live up to that. We'll see, though I expect what will happen is that I'll see them as distinct games that I like in different ways.

You have a ps5, no?  If RE4 is a favorite the remake is a must.  Superior in every way.  It is an absolute amazing remake.  It more than does the original justice.  

And it isn't a reimagining, it has a few changes but is very faithful to the original.  

I highly recommend.

Edit

I mean it doesn't have a 93 Meta rating just because.  It is a damn good remake.  

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:
curl-6 said:

You have a ps5, no?  If RE4 is a favorite the remake is a must.  Superior in every way.  It is an absolute amazing remake.  It more than does the original justice.  

And it isn't a reimagining, it has a few changes but is very faithful to the original.  

I highly recommend.

Yes I do, and yeah it's definitely on my to-do list.

I'm snowed under with games these days, between Switch, PS5, my gaming laptop, and PS4 games I missed, so many games so little time!

Just got done with Stellar Blade, still working through Diablo IV with my girlfriend, currently working through Ace Combat 7, and The Plucky Squire, Zelda Echoes of Wisdom, and Nikoderiko are right around the corner, plus I got games on my shelf I've had since like 2022 that I still haven't got around to haha