By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Biggest step forward for gaming in the 21st century

curl-6 said:
SvennoJ said:

Light guns were around until CRTs went out of style. I played many shooters on C64 with a light gun.

Motion controls are good, but haven't been revolutionary for gaming like the move to 3D or online gaming.

However if you look at VR, motion controls are essential for 90% of the games. Without motion controls, no VR. (apart from the abomination from Nintendo, virtual boy, 3D viewer, not VR) They're an essential step forward.

So while not the most popular atm, or changing how most games are played (yet), motion control will continue to build. It's simply more natural, more intuitive, less buttons to remember. It's just waiting for holographic displays to be invented or VR to hit the mainstream.

It depends on the person really; as someone who started gaming in the 4th gen, the only step forward in my lifetime that felt more revolutionary was the transition from 2D to 3D.

Since everyone experiences gaming differently, different things make a bigger impact for different people. The extent to which stuff like VR, motion, online, etc. improves the gameplay experience varies a lot depending the individual. For example, VR can be revolutionary for some folks, but uncomfortable for others.

I  think online gaming was good for just about everyone like how can someone say online gaming is negative experience. Just about every gamer I know enjoys online gaming. I mainly play single player but the online games I played were so addicting I had to stop.

Around the Network
zeldaring said:
curl-6 said:

It depends on the person really; as someone who started gaming in the 4th gen, the only step forward in my lifetime that felt more revolutionary was the transition from 2D to 3D.

Since everyone experiences gaming differently, different things make a bigger impact for different people. The extent to which stuff like VR, motion, online, etc. improves the gameplay experience varies a lot depending the individual. For example, VR can be revolutionary for some folks, but uncomfortable for others.

I  think online gaming was good for just about everyone like how can someone say online gaming is negative experience. Just about every gamer I know enjoys online gaming. I mainly play single player but the online games I played were so addicting I had to stop.

I find little value in online play. To me, it's a lot less fun than local multiplayer in the same room, and I much prefer single player gaming anyway. It also led to a lot of negative stuff like microtransactions, day 1 DLC, live service games, etc.

Again, it all depends on personal preference.

For now I'd go with VR - it is genuinely different experience than playing on flat screen, no matter how big that screen is.

For not so distant future - AI NPCs.

For not sure how far in future - full physical simulation of volumetric based worlds, accompanied by AI NPCs.

Motion controls are not 21st Century tho. NES had them with U Force. SEGA Genesis had them with the SEGA Activator which is a precursor to Kinect. There were 3rd party accessories for N64 and PS1 from Pelican. PC had them in several odd hardware gadgets for gaming. Dreamcast fishing controller had them in 1999 and they worked with Soul Calibur. VR had them in early 90s. Some arcade games had them. VR and Motion controls date back to the 80s.

Last edited by Leynos - on 21 August 2024

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

curl-6 said:
zeldaring said:

I find little value in online play. To me, it's a lot less fun than local multiplayer in the same room, and I much prefer single player gaming anyway. It also led to a lot of negative stuff like microtransactions, day 1 DLC, live service games, etc.

I prefer single player as well, it's a more relaxing experiance but if your asking the biggest step forward then it has to be online, almost everyone i know plays some games online. it's something almost every gamer enjoys, and it's only getting bigger.

Around the Network

Oops my bad everybody. When I originally read this post I thought it was saying you CANT include things that technically existed in the 20th century, not that it CAN.

I sincerely apologize. I take back what I said and agree online gaming is definitely a huge one

zeldaring said:
curl-6 said:

I prefer single player as well, it's a more relaxing experiance but if your asking the biggest step forward then it has to be online, almost everyone i know plays some games online. it's something almost every gamer enjoys, and it's only getting bigger.

This thread is for people to share their thoughts and opinions, not for you to force your opinion on others.

Now stop derailing the discussion like you do with every thread you enter.

curl-6 said:
zeldaring said:

This thread is for people to share their thoughts and opinions, not for you to force your opinion on others.

I don't think this question is really a opinion based when online gaming is cleary the biggest step forward  and nothign comes close interms of the impact it had on gaming but hey think what you like, and i'm topIc BTW.

Last edited by zeldaring - on 21 August 2024

zeldaring said:
curl-6 said:

I don't think this question is really a opinion based when online gaming is cleary the biggest step forward  and nothign comes close interms of the impact it had on gaming but hey think what you like, and i'm topIc BTW.

You're entitled to your opinion, you just don't get to shit on other people's opinions or to use the topic as a proxy to shit on Nintendo.

This thread is for people to share their perspectives. There is no right or wrong answer.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 21 August 2024

curl-6 said:
zeldaring said:

You're entitled to your opinion, you just don't get to shit on other people's opinions or to use the topic as a proxy to shit on Nintendo.

This thread if for people to share their perspectives. There is no right or wrong answer.

lmao how did i shit on nintendo? by stating facts? This thread would have made more sense if it was about what's the coolest new thing about gaming in the 21st century but you asked what the biggest step foward. online gaming has basically taken over the industry in the 21st century.