By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digital Foundry: Best graphics on Nintendo Switch

Emulating WWHD on PC at 4k is awesome. Maybe people wouldn't emulate if companies wouldn't be so greedy. I've bought Zelda on the NES, Wii, upgraded to the Wii U version... and now Nintendo wants me to pay a monthly fee for something I've already bought multiple times. No thanks.

As for the topic at hand, LM3 is still the most impressive switch game.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Around the Network
RedKingXIII said:
curl-6 said:

They cover this in the video; John was impressed by how well they modernized the look of the SNES original while running at the system's maximum resolution of 1080p docked and 720p portable, at 60fps. 

It's a fine looking game and a good remake... but it's not one of the best graphics of the Switch. There's other 1080p/720p 60fps games on Switch that look better. Both Mario Kart 8 DX and SSBU come to mind. I think there's even games that are just 60fps that are more impressive; like Splatoon 3 and Mario Odyssey. But seeing how this is a subjective list then I'll just disagree and move on.

I wouldn't personally call it one of the best looking either, just explaining DF's reasoning.

I do think it is a nice looking game though.

curl-6 said:

I'd disagree, Assassin's Creed IV is a 7th gen game with only a res boost, a more stable framerate, and minor settings upgrades over PS3/360. Compared to games built for the Switch it looks old.

No PBR, PS360 era lighting and shaders, low poly models, textures designed for less than 500MB of RAM.

It looks great for a PS3/360 title, but for a Switch game its nothing special. Straight ports from old hardware don't make good use of Switch's capabilities.

Aside from botw which is cell shaded and ran on the  much weaker  wiiu.  what other open world  games compete?

zeldaring said:
curl-6 said:

I'd disagree, Assassin's Creed IV is a 7th gen game with only a res boost, a more stable framerate, and minor settings upgrades over PS3/360. Compared to games built for the Switch it looks old.

No PBR, PS360 era lighting and shaders, low poly models, textures designed for less than 500MB of RAM.

It looks great for a PS3/360 title, but for a Switch game its nothing special. Straight ports from old hardware don't make good use of Switch's capabilities.

Aside from botw which is cell shaded and ran on the  much weaker  wiiu.  what other open world  games compete?

BOTW is more demanding than Black Flag, we can measure this by how they perform; Black Flag on Switch is a dynamic 1080p while BOTW is a dynamic 900p because its heavier on the hardware.

curl-6 said:
zeldaring said:

BOTW is more demanding than Black Flag, we can measure this by how they perform; Black Flag on Switch is a dynamic 1080p while BOTW is a dynamic 900p because its heavier on the hardware.

Botw is  rushed port, it should easily get to 1080p dynamic resolution when you compare it to wiiu specs. Besides by the same token AC black flag ran like crap on WiiU.

Botw port was a very unimpressive effort by nintendo. I think we can all agree with that.

I honestly get confused of why people get offended if you name a last gen one of the best looking  games on switch. mean, while they name botw that ran on system that several developers Said was on par with last gen or weaker but ok.

Last edited by zeldaring - on 05 August 2024

Around the Network

BotW had far better surround on the switch compared to the Wii U. People either never knew or tend to forget.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Chrkeller said:

BotW had far better surround on the switch compared to the Wii U. People either never knew or tend to forget.

Better surround?

zeldaring said:
Chrkeller said:

Better surround?

Sound.  Way better sound.  Especially surround sound. 

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Please fuck no. Can we not have 15 more pages of arguing of a 360 game. You will never get anywhere and just run in circles. Just let them be wrong and drop it. I beg of ya Curl! lol

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:

Please fuck no. Can we not have 15 more pages of arguing of a 360 game. You will never get anywhere and just run in circles. Just let them be wrong and drop it. I beg of ya Curl! lol

While recently Darksiders II developer Vigil Games said Wii U is "on par" with current generation consoles, now a band of anonymous developers have spoken out to Games Industry.biz about the machine's power, claiming it's not got quite as much grunt as its current opposition.

One anonymous developer said:

No, it's not up to the same level as the PS3 or the 360. The graphics are just not as powerful.
Which was backed up by a second, also anonymous dev:

Yeah, that's true. It doesn't produce graphics as well as the PS3 or the 360. There aren't as many shaders, it's not as capable. Sure, some things are better, mostly as a result of it being a more modern design. But overall the Wii U just can't quite keep up.

So what's the problem with 360 when developers that makes games say it's on par with last gen or weaker. If 360 is a problem then wiiu should be as well. TeraScale 2 was 2009 so t developers were familiar with it. 360 and ps3 could also do pbr.

Last edited by zeldaring - on 05 August 2024