By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - 2024 US Presidential Election

haxxiy said:

Based on where the Harris and Trump campaigns are spending on advertising, it kind of feels something like this is what their internals must be seeing, right?

That being said, considering voting trends, I'd be surprised if Wisconsin is to the left of Arizona.

It could certainly come down to PA, I have a feeling Harris wins the election fairly easily when its all said and done.  But PA is the most important state both are going after right now.  If Harris wins PA, WI, MI, and the 1 vote in NE it doesn't matter what happens in the other toss up states.

Around the Network
Jumpin said:

The Old School Republican Party died when Reagan’s neoliberalism came in. And it crumbled into the putrid swamp that is MAGA—a movement which (ironically) seeks to destroy the foundations of what made the US great in the first place.

Another great irony is the quality of people who support Trump is almost all the lowest quality of human being: gluttonous, weak, cowardly, dogmatic, racist, credulous, and foolish. I’d say cowardice is their primary mode of function. The loading up with guns, the xenophobia and racism, following instead of leading by example, the religious sanctimony because they fear going to hell (despite not following Jesus, just claiming they do), this fear of Russia that motivates them to support Russia, even right down to the incel sexism, these all grow out of intense cowardice.

MAGA support for Trump comes because Trump embodies a success of these negative values. They ignore the fact that he inherited his wealth. He’s an aspiration and inspiration for lazy, dull-witted cowards across the US.

Facts.

But it's not a fear of Russia, Imo. It's that they want America to turn into Russia, they believe Russia isn't "infected by the woke" and has "traditional Christian family values" which is basically a dog whistle for "fuck anyone who isn't white and Christian, fuck gay people, women in the kitchen, men control the world" this culture war has evolved so much that Americans are practically on their hands and knees begging to become Russia 2.0...It's a fucking embarrassment and old school Republicans would be rolling in their graves. All cause they're bigots and can't stand the sight of anyone different from them, they must shill for the Nazi Russia.

Course that leads to idiots flying over to Russia then immediately regretting it like that recent couple from Canada, Lmfao.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 08 September 2024

Look at what Dick Cheney just did. He just announced his endorsement of Harris. He is a traditional Republican (former VP) who will be voting for her in Nov., and he is not the only one who will be doing so. It's not that he is joining the Democratic Party, he just believes Harris is the better candidate for the USA this election year, something I agree with.

Last edited by BFR - on 08 September 2024

rapsuperstar31 said:
haxxiy said:

It could certainly come down to PA, I have a feeling Harris wins the election fairly easily when its all said and done.  But PA is the most important state both are going after right now.  If Harris wins PA, WI, MI, and the 1 vote in NE it doesn't matter what happens in the other toss up states.

I think whoever wins will take most of the swing states (maybe swapping Michigan for Nevada in case of a Trump win) even if the popular vote margin is close. I was concerned about Wisconsin earlier but I recognize Democrats there have been pretty mobilized post-2020 and now they have a fairer congressional map too.

But we'll see. A tight split with months of Republicans attempting shenanigans in GA or PA isn't out of the question.

Ryuu96 said:

Facts.

But it's not a fear of Russia, Imo. It's that they want America to turn into Russia, they believe Russia isn't "infected by the woke" and has "traditional Christian family values" which is basically a dog whistle for "fuck anyone who isn't white and Christian, fuck gay people, women in the kitchen, men control the world" this culture war has evolved so much that Americans are practically on their hands and knees begging to become Russia 2.0...It's a fucking embarrassment and old school Republicans would be rolling in their graves. All cause they're bigots and can't stand the sight of anyone different from them, they must shill for the Nazi Russia.

Course that leads to idiots flying over to Russia then immediately regretting it like that recent couple from Canada, Lmfao.

Yeah, the Christian nationalists and their ilk deploy the term "woke" much too generously. I find it a satisfying pejorative with which to describe a very particular kind of left wing politics. When we talk about the woke era in American politics, what I mean by that is a period wherein that term was a fashionable thing to be called. Essentially it was a time when social justice, but in particular racial justice, activism was popular. I regard it as something that began with the police murder of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri back in 2014, peaked during the George Floyd protests in the summer of 2020, and ended with the surrender of Afghanistan to the Taliban (that cultural moment) the following August. The term comes from the black liberation movement specifically and was popularized in the 2010s in such a way as to apply primarily to the more advanced positions of the racial justice movement during that window of time. If its central and most defining task was to end the age of mass incarceration then it could be said to have succeeded in that the prison population dropped by 30% between 2011 and '21, with a steeper 40% decline in the number of imprisoned black people. I attribute the decline of the movement to the window of time that I do because that was the window of time in which the term "woke" went from being something people called themselves to a disparaging label heaped on one from without. We are clearly not in the woke era today. That moment is in the past tense.

Did the woke era go too far? Yes. Yes, in some areas I would say that it did. To an extent, the current, more conservative moment that we're in could be described as a natural corrective period. But the woke era also achieved important things that we shouldn't retreat from. One doesn't need to repeal the last two centuries in order to find the right balance between racial equity and public safety; between the needs of women and men; between the needs of the natural world and the practical needs of working people to have affordable energy; between the humanitarian needs of immigrants and refugees and the finite resources of our communities; between pursuing self-determination for the Palestinians and respecting the same for the Jewish people. There is a difference. I use the term "woke" to characterize the excesses of left-wing politics: ideas like abolishing police departments, not enforcing laws, the open borders movement (which yes is a very real thing), the degrowth movement, this sort of mindset. Basically the Green Party platform. When conservatives use it to describe everyone who supports abortion rights or red flag laws or the subsidizing of renewable energy development or marriage equality or who opposes mass deportations, they lose credibility because those are just normal positions that most people embrace. Most people support marriage equality and oppose mass deportations. And when you start talking about how the world is secretly run by a cabal of civil service workers who need to be systematically purged and replaced by partisan loyalists to the president, you have lost your fucking mind and need to put down your goddamn phone a bit more often and get back in touch with real life.

Last edited by Jaicee - on 09 September 2024

Around the Network
haxxiy said:

Based on where the Harris and Trump campaigns are spending on advertising, it kind of feels something like this is what their internals must be seeing, right?

That being said, considering voting trends, I'd be surprised if Wisconsin is to the left of Arizona.

*Looking at the aggregators for Pennsylvania and Georgia*

Seems like Harris currently has a very tiny lead (less than 1%) in both states, if that holds true on election night then the democrats would win. In fact, just winning one of the two would assure a victory for the democrats if all the others are correct.

Here’s the latest scare tactics from the Trump camp. This just screams desperation. 

Last edited by SanAndreasX - on 09 September 2024

SanAndreasX said:

Dick Cheney said: "In our nation’s 248-year history, there has never been an individual who is a greater threat to our republic than Donald Trump. ... As citizens, we each have a duty to put country above partisanship to defend our Constitution.”

For his part, Trump responded by describing the former vice president as a “RINO” (“Republican In Name Only”), offering a timely reminder that the label no longer has any meaning.

Nevertheless, after last week’s news, it wasn’t long before some started wondering whether Cheney’s former partner in the White House might follow his lead. As NBC News reported, that’s apparently not going to happen.

Former President George W. Bush does not plan to endorse a candidate for president, his office told NBC News on Saturday. When asked whether the former president or his wife, Laura, would endorse a candidate or make public how they will vote, Bush’s office said “no.”

This comes four years after Bush also remained neutral in the 2020 presidential race. (After the election, the former president said he wrote in former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice for president on his 2020 ballot.)

At this point, it’s worth pausing to appreciate the bigger picture.

Barring any surprises or dramatic reversals, the Republican Party’s 2024 presidential candidate won’t have the support of his party’s 2000, 2004, or 2012 presidential nominees.

What’s more, Trump also won’t have the support from the GOP’s 2000, 2004, 2012, 2016, or 2020 vice presidential nominees.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/why-bush-s-and-cheney-s-positions-on-the-2024-race-matters/ar-AA1qghzk?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=009d28a681254d0c83caac1898193b3f&ei=6

The time is nigh...